Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Second Service
Bruno787

RE: Second Service

my 2nd service light popped up today at 10,000+kms, my last service was May last year at 5,000+kms. anything that needs replacement aside from the oil and oil filter? mine is an Si4 Smile

it will be a DIY as the one and only dealer here is thousands of kms away.

15 Maserati Quattroporte GTS
11 Mini John Cooper Works
12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic
30-04-2014 02:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

There is a LR service Check list on here if you can find it in one of the threads about servicing. If I remember not much than the usual Air/Oil/Pollen filters and Oil itself! Grease wheel spigots was the additional item on Service 2.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
01-05-2014 02:05pm
m_101

Well. Mine needed new rear pads (at 25000 miles and 2 years) in addition to the service - total cost was £520. Ouch!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
05-05-2014 10:29pm
RacingSnake

(05-05-2014 10:29pm)m_101 Wrote:  Well. Mine needed new rear pads (at 25000 miles and 2 years) in addition to the service - total cost was £520. Ouch!
My pads are (all) at 50%, mileages at 14k, so I guess the same.
Tyres at LF:4, RF:5, RR:5, LR:6 - so gave me an 'advise' on the left front.

Was kindly relieved of £391 for my second service today Shocked

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
06-05-2014 07:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ziggy stardust

Visited my local Stratstone JLR dealer last week for a second service quote on my SD4, went something like this.

As I drank my coffee with the service adviser I asked if I was to wait how long would it take? Two hours Sir. That's quick, how much will it cost me? £475 Sir.

How can you justify £475 for two hours work, were in South Wales and most people don't earn that all week? We only use genuine LR parts Sir, they are expensive and we stamp your book.

I know, I've priced them up on eBay, all genuine LR and C1 spec oil £108, so what about the other £367?

That is the price Sir. What about discount? O.K. we can do it for £449. Wow thanks.

Feeling totally ripped off I book it in for Monday to keep everything sweet while the car is still under warranty, I notice mints on the desk and take one but before unwrapping it I ask if I'm going to be charged for it? No Sir.

I get a Jaguar for the day as I need it to get to work and pick up the Evoque the following day and drive it the four miles home. I lift the bonnet and notice a screw left unfastened on the air filter box so I screw it home myself, should I have sent them a bill for £50? I dip the oil and it's black, not what I expected.

Looking at the invoice from Stratstone I notice I'd been charged for windscreen wash at almost £5 which was odd because I'd filled it up before I took the car in?

I get an email asking about the standard of my service so I tell them how it was, I then get a phone call and I go through it all again, I'm then told I'll be getting a phone call from the service manager and I'll be able to discuss it with him, four days later I'm still waiting.

On the positive side I've had the car back for a couple of little warranty issues before the service and found them most helpful, but I do hate paying ridiculous rates for ticking boxes.

Z
24-05-2014 11:24am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(24-05-2014 11:24am)ziggy stardust Wrote:  I dip the oil and it's black, not what I expected.

Unless it is an Si4 then that is normal - it's because garages don't properly drain out all the old oil from the sump, they suck it out with a probe. One thing to check carefully is that they didn't over fill it - it is almost impossible to tell a service dept that if they don't take out all the old oil then the measured quanitiy required to fill the engine with new oil will be less.................. I bet if you checked, the sump drain plug hasn't been removed but you will have been charged for a replacement washer....................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-05-2014 04:27pm
m_101

Stuff like this really irritates me. I think I'm going to just get the third service done at the guy I know whom I know will actually charge me fairly for it and will service it properly.
Whenever I get the bike serviced, the filter needs changed which means all the oil has to be trained from the bike. I don't understand how car garages can get away with this stuff! If it weren't for wanting to preserve the warranty then I wouldn't have spent the extra cash on a service that is at best on-par and possibly not as good as a trusted mechanic.
I'm also wondering about checking out a few of the LR independent garages around Glasgow XFFT - Possibly Monarch in Dalmarnock or Rover Works on Duke Street. Have you (or anyone else) ever used either of them?

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
24-05-2014 09:34pm
XFullFatTim

101, I've never used either. I take my Defender out to Larbert near Falkirk to a company that only looks after Land Rovers, any model, called GEMM. They are not franchised but all their staff are Land Rover trained. I purchased the 5 years servicing agreement for new Evoque so it will stay in the franchised service outlet network.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-05-2014 09:28am
m_101

Hmm, I might try them. My other half is from Falkirk so know the area reasonably well. It isn't far at all from the in-laws' place so could get them to pick me up if car needed serviced. Might approach them about prices to see what they'll charge when my third service comes around. Wish I had had the option of buying that service pack when I got mine!
I was at the dealer getting a key replaced (the rubber came away same as others have had here) and extending the warranty by 2 years including LR assist will cost me £895 per year! Doesn't cover servicing or any software updates. What a rip-off!

(This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 03:19pm by m_101.)
25-05-2014 03:17pm
XFullFatTim

GEMM aren't easy to find! Coming off the motorway follow the signs to the new Forth Valley Hospital, go passed the hospital as if going to Falkirk on the old A9, at Larbert Cross go straight across toward Falkirk, immediately after the rail viaduct, on the right is a small turning over the river. Take this short lane and then at the give way across the junction the road splits into two - the right hand one goes to some go-carting track and the left branch to a steel stockholder (Hessons or something) and further up the lane is GEMM, they are at the end of the dead end. You know you have arrived as there are about 100 Land Rovers and Range Rovers of every kind in various states of repair/disrepair parked up to your left. The office is above the workshop - to the right and up the external stairs. It isn't exactly a spotless/ pristine place like a Land Rover dealership's workshop, but then you don't pay LR type prices either! Wendy is behind the counter and Bobby or George are the experts (George is George Maclay, the owner). They do have a website with all their contact details.

(This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 04:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-05-2014 04:21pm