Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Puddle lamps
Mudi1

Puddle lamps

When are the puddle lamp supposed to work?

In the dark - of course, but my query is that mine only come on when I unlock the car with the key, not when I open it by keyless entry and not on locking with the key.

Lights are on auto.

I also have the wing mirrors (elephant ears) folded upon locking and wondered if this makes a difference.

There is nothing in the handbook about them and I have read other threads on this forum to try to find the answer before posting this new thread.
09-06-2012 01:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChuckieB

RE: Puddle lamps

(09-06-2012 01:24pm)Mudi1 Wrote:  When are the puddle lamp supposed to work?

In the dark - of course, but my query is that mine only come on when I unlock the car with the key, not when I open it by keyless entry and not on locking with the key.

Lights are on auto.

I also have the wing mirrors (elephant ears) folded upon locking and wondered if this makes a difference.

There is nothing in the handbook about them and I have read other threads on this forum to try to find the answer before posting this new thread.
And how do you suppose the puddle lamps are to operate on keyless? You'd have trodden in the puddle to touch the doorWink

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
09-06-2012 01:30pm
Mudi1

Ok, yep I accept that I am being dense with the keyless, ha. Embarrassed Should they come on when locking the door? I set the lights to stay on for a few secs after locking, but perhaps that is for the headlights only.
09-06-2012 01:36pm
ChuckieB

(09-06-2012 01:36pm)Mudi1 Wrote:  Ok, yep I accept that I am being dense with the keyless, ha. Embarrassed Should they come on when locking the door? I set the lights to stay on for a few secs after locking, but perhaps that is for the headlights only.

Again a bit late as you've stepped out of the car straight into a puddle! This is where they should have the puddle lamps illuminate on approach with the key. And then a different set built into the bottom of the door for when you're stepping out! Personally I am finding them a bit of a waste of time as they're not actually that bright.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
09-06-2012 01:59pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Chuckle, have you checked that there isn't a bit of pre-delivery protection still stuck on the lens? Mine are quite bright enough to illuminate any puddles

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-06-2012 03:06pm
Kimv

Puddle lamps

(09-06-2012 03:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Chuckle, have you checked that there isn't a bit of pre-delivery protection still stuck on the lens? Mine are quite bright enough to illuminate any puddles

Thanks.. By this I finally realized why they call them "puddle" lamps... Translated in Dutch (Plaslamp) it would mean the same as "pee-lamp"... (we have the same word for "puddle" and "pee"...)

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 06:40pm by Kimv.)
09-06-2012 06:39pm
Bowl

Actually they do come on when unlocking with keyless. Touch the inside of the door handle - do not pull. The car should unlock, wing mirrors unfold and the puddle lamps illuminate.

However, they will continue to illuminate even when the doors are open... For a short while, along with front and rear parking lamps.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 06:46pm by Bowl.)
11-06-2012 01:44pm
Mudi1

(11-06-2012 01:44pm)Bowl Wrote:  Actually they do come one when unlocking with keyless. Touch the inside of the door handle - do not pull. The car should unlock, wing mirrors unfold and the puddle lamps illuminate.

However, they will continue to illuminate even when the doors are open... For a short while, along with front and rear parking lamps.

Thank you Bowl, I will do that. I know it is a fun extra, but all the children love it and it seemed a shame that you would never see them if using keyless (excellent invention) all the time.
12-06-2012 07:16am
Bowl

(12-06-2012 07:16am)Mudi1 Wrote:  Thank you Bowl, I will do that. I know it is a fun extra, but all the children love it and it seemed a shame that you would never see them if using keyless (excellent invention) all the time.

You're very welcome. My girlfriend loves it too. Sometimes I even unlock using the remote key just to admire the light show from distance.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
12-06-2012 06:48pm
invoke

Puddle lamp only works when you are standing in the puddle. You have to turn on ths feature first.

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
20-06-2012 03:12am