babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Puddle lamps - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Puddle lamps (/Thread-Puddle-lamps)

Puddle lamps - Mudi1 - 09-06-2012 01:24pm

When are the puddle lamp supposed to work?

In the dark - of course, but my query is that mine only come on when I unlock the car with the key, not when I open it by keyless entry and not on locking with the key.

Lights are on auto.

I also have the wing mirrors (elephant ears) folded upon locking and wondered if this makes a difference.

There is nothing in the handbook about them and I have read other threads on this forum to try to find the answer before posting this new thread.

RE: Puddle lamps - ChuckieB - 09-06-2012 01:30pm

(09-06-2012 01:24pm)Mudi1 Wrote:  When are the puddle lamp supposed to work?

In the dark - of course, but my query is that mine only come on when I unlock the car with the key, not when I open it by keyless entry and not on locking with the key.

Lights are on auto.

I also have the wing mirrors (elephant ears) folded upon locking and wondered if this makes a difference.

There is nothing in the handbook about them and I have read other threads on this forum to try to find the answer before posting this new thread.
And how do you suppose the puddle lamps are to operate on keyless? You'd have trodden in the puddle to touch the doorWink

RE: Puddle lamps - Mudi1 - 09-06-2012 01:36pm

Ok, yep I accept that I am being dense with the keyless, ha. Embarrassed Should they come on when locking the door? I set the lights to stay on for a few secs after locking, but perhaps that is for the headlights only.

RE: Puddle lamps - ChuckieB - 09-06-2012 01:59pm

(09-06-2012 01:36pm)Mudi1 Wrote:  Ok, yep I accept that I am being dense with the keyless, ha. Embarrassed Should they come on when locking the door? I set the lights to stay on for a few secs after locking, but perhaps that is for the headlights only.

Again a bit late as you've stepped out of the car straight into a puddle! This is where they should have the puddle lamps illuminate on approach with the key. And then a different set built into the bottom of the door for when you're stepping out! Personally I am finding them a bit of a waste of time as they're not actually that bright.

RE: Puddle lamps - XFullFatTim - 09-06-2012 03:06pm

Chuckle, have you checked that there isn't a bit of pre-delivery protection still stuck on the lens? Mine are quite bright enough to illuminate any puddles

Puddle lamps - Kimv - 09-06-2012 06:39pm

(09-06-2012 03:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Chuckle, have you checked that there isn't a bit of pre-delivery protection still stuck on the lens? Mine are quite bright enough to illuminate any puddles

Thanks.. By this I finally realized why they call them "puddle" lamps... Translated in Dutch (Plaslamp) it would mean the same as "pee-lamp"... (we have the same word for "puddle" and "pee"...)

RE: Puddle lamps - Bowl - 11-06-2012 01:44pm

Actually they do come on when unlocking with keyless. Touch the inside of the door handle - do not pull. The car should unlock, wing mirrors unfold and the puddle lamps illuminate.

However, they will continue to illuminate even when the doors are open... For a short while, along with front and rear parking lamps.

RE: Puddle lamps - Mudi1 - 12-06-2012 07:16am

(11-06-2012 01:44pm)Bowl Wrote:  Actually they do come one when unlocking with keyless. Touch the inside of the door handle - do not pull. The car should unlock, wing mirrors unfold and the puddle lamps illuminate.

However, they will continue to illuminate even when the doors are open... For a short while, along with front and rear parking lamps.

Thank you Bowl, I will do that. I know it is a fun extra, but all the children love it and it seemed a shame that you would never see them if using keyless (excellent invention) all the time.

RE: Puddle lamps - Bowl - 12-06-2012 06:48pm

(12-06-2012 07:16am)Mudi1 Wrote:  Thank you Bowl, I will do that. I know it is a fun extra, but all the children love it and it seemed a shame that you would never see them if using keyless (excellent invention) all the time.

You're very welcome. My girlfriend loves it too. Sometimes I even unlock using the remote key just to admire the light show from distance.

RE: Puddle lamps - invoke - 20-06-2012 03:12am

Puddle lamp only works when you are standing in the puddle. You have to turn on ths feature first.