Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paint flaw?
Stevemac1

Paint flaw?

I took delivery of my shiny new Evoque 3 weeks ago and all was well until I noticed a mark in the paint below the drivers door handle. It is a wavy brush like mark consisting of a number of parrallel lines. I think it is a flaw that should have been spotted by RR and also Parks LR when the did the PDI. Any body else seen the same thing?

[Image: 002cejy.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[img][Image: 003lxp.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

It's only visible in certain light angles, but looks like a grey patch a times. There is another smaller mark the same just behind the door on the rear quarter aswell Sad

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 04:58pm by Stevemac1.)
14-04-2013 02:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trapdoor

RE: Paint flaw?

Take it back to the dealer and complain - strongly.

I rejected my Evoque 2 days after delivery due to QC issues that should have been picked up at the factory or the dealership - topped off by the fact that the dealer had made a mistake in my order. Luckily my detailer provided a quality report on the issues with mine that to be honest I probably wouldn't have spotted until a few weeks later when I washed/polished it as you (as a buyer) just cannot spot and take everything on a new car in on the day of delivery.

I have publicly grumbled about the poor QC and attention to detail by Halewood staff and have been lambasted by a couple of LR Halewood workers on here who assert that every car is built with love and attention - I still cannot believe that, due to the increasing number of people who popup to vent about their car and the poor quality of fit and finish.

A car that costs between £45k and £50k should be delivered to the customer in perfect condition with no visible defects. Why do we keep seeing this absolutely crap and frankly insulting service from the dealers?

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
14-04-2013 04:55pm
Fitcherama

I had to have my car fully machine polished by professional detailers as the paintwork was in a terrible state. There was even a 'smart' paint repair on the rear and lacquer overspray present. It cost £700 to do properly. My dealership is reimbursing me as I gave them no option - funnily enough it didn't seem like mine was the first case of this either! The car looks superb now (as it should have done on collection) and I have had it ceramic coated (GTechniq) for good measure.

Barolo Black Dynamic Lux SD4
14-04-2013 09:25pm
Straydox

Stevemac1 - that looks rather like a defect under the clear top coat, it should not have escaped LR QA like that. You could have it repaired - but having spent the wrong side of £40k you are perfectly entitled to a perfect car.

Although you can have paint defects repaired on new cars - often to 'as new' finish standards you can't escape the fact that the paint will be thicker on the repaired panels. Does this really matter? Sounds a bit petty and 'small minded'? Actually no , If you have further paint related problems - maybe when you trade it in for your next car (let's say the effected panel fades slightly differently or looks odd in sunlight) then you have an issue not of your making - most dealers have a gadget for measuring paint thickness and will know if your car has had a trip to the bodyshop.

Painful though it is - you should consider rejecting the vehicle.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
14-04-2013 11:51pm
harrydor

(14-04-2013 02:59pm)Stevemac1 Wrote:  I took delivery of my shiny new Evoque 3 weeks ago and all was well until I noticed a mark in the paint below the drivers door handle. It is a wavy brush like mark consisting of a number of parrallel lines. I think it is a flaw that should have been spotted by RR and also Parks LR when the did the PDI. Any body else seen the same thing?

[Image: 002cejy.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[img][Image: 003lxp.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

It's only visible in certain light angles, but looks like a grey patch a times. There is another smaller mark the same just behind the door on the rear quarter aswell Sad

agree with you this should not have left the factory or passed the p d i my dynamic has a paint fault on the rear quarter rejected the car and now awaiting replacement have to say customer service at range rover were fantastic and once the dealer prinicipal got involved all sorted hope the new car is free of defects.
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 12:15pm by harrydor.)
15-04-2013 12:10pm
Trapdoor

I think we perhaps need a separate 'I rejected my Evoque' thread to discuss when/why/how.

I have never heard of so many vehicle rejects for a single car type discussed.

I am quite nervous about taking delivery of my replacement in a week or so, and am hoping that the odds against getting TWO dud vehicles should be quite high.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
15-04-2013 01:09pm
Stevemac1

Thanks for the input, rejection would be the last resort. I know Parks will probably offer to respray, but not sure I want that. It really is only visible in certain light (mostly bright daylight)and angles, maybe that's how it got through inspections..I could probably live with it but that's not the point is it?
I'm waiting for a call from them to replace the climate control temp unit as there were surface scratches on the temperature windows, so I'll see what happens when I mention the paint!

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
15-04-2013 01:59pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Don't delay reporting the paint problem, the longer that you leave it the more excuses they will come up with that you didn't tell them as soon as possible. Even if you have to email them the photos at least you will have reported it so they cannot say it must have been done by a "detailer" or car wash or some other 3rd Party cause

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-04-2013 03:45pm
PhilSkill

(15-04-2013 03:45pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Don't delay reporting the paint problem, the longer that you leave it the more excuses they will come up with that you didn't tell them as soon as possible. Even if you have to email them the photos at least you will have reported it so they cannot say it must have been done by a "detailer" or car wash or some other 3rd Party cause

+1, get the notification to the Dealer as soon as possible, e-mail with pictures, then you can start negotiations on how to make you happy, be that repair, replace, reject, re-imburse...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-04-2013 05:10pm
scrannel

If you were in So California, this would be no big deal. The staggering quality of paint shops out here is... well, staggering. There must be someone out there in ye Olde Country who can handle this. If it's just in the clear coat it should be a breeze.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
15-04-2013 11:25pm