Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help persuading myself (plus a few questions!)
chrisd

Hello all - great forum you have here!

I'm having a bit of an Evoque dilemma, and I thought you might be able to give me some advice/help me with some questions. Loved the Evoque from launch, but wasn't really in a position to buy one. Recently, though, despite living in London (zone 2), I'm thinking it wouldn't be such a crazy idea. I work from home, so it would be an occasional-jaunt/weekend getaway car (not for bank-robbing, honest) and I could get an on-street parking permit (there are some expensive cars around here, so I wouldn't worry so much about it being a target out in the open).

What gives me pause is the fact that my better-half and I could be moving abroad later in the year. It's definitely not for certain to happen, but if it did, I'd have to sell the Evoque. Having hemorrhaged cash a few years back when I last owned/sold a car privately, I'm a bit wary of that situation. But, the Evoque seems like it's holding its value well, thanks to scarcity/newness/appeal/etc.

My thinking is this: pick up a second-hand Evoque now, enjoy it, and - if we do end up moving - be reasonably assured of a decent resale value not-too-far down the line. Obviously they're only going to get less-rare, but if we suddenly up-sticks in late 2013, the situation shouldn't - I'm guessing - have changed too considerably.

And so, the questions:

1) Since I don't need the practicality of the 5-door, and I prefer the looks of the Coupe, that's the one I'd go for. They seem scarcer, however; would I be putting an undue limit on resale potential?

2) I've been reading around on comments about diesel vs. petrol, and how diesel engines aren't keen on short journeys. That would probably be at least part of my routine, given where we live, so should I be limiting my search to petrol? Real-world fuel economy seems to be mixed among petrol Evoque owners.

3) While I know the Pure comes with plenty of kit, my guess would be that Dynamic (or Prestige) would hold its value better. Certainly more so than a Pure with extras thrown at it. I'm also thinking auto rather than manual, since London traffic can be a chore on your clutch-foot. Again, sensible thinking?

4) Is my logic on resale flawed? I know I'm obviously going to lose some money (not least on paying for fuel/tax/insurance/etc.) but we're already stumping up for tube/taxis/trains. I know from reading the forum that some people here have sold Evoques - what sort of hit did you take?

Sorry, I've written a lot (and asked a lot of questions!) but I've been lurking for the past few weeks trying to figure out if this is a pipe-dream situation or one I should pursue. The freedom of being able to jump in a car and go away for the weekend (and not deal with awful trains) would be great, as would the knowledge that depreciation was as conservative as you could realistically hope for. Any advice?

Chris Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 30-12-2012 03:28pm by chrisd.)
30-12-2012 01:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

RE: Need help persuading myself (plus a few questions!)

Hi Chris

We can usually convince ourselves of anything...

- 5 door vehicles are a tad more practical so have a wider appeal 2nd hand (or so it would seem) and start off cheaper in the first place

- Now they have been on the roads for more than a year and the lead-time on a new vehicle is 2-3 months the novelty value has worn off so they aren't likely to hold their value especially well. The 2nd hand value of 4x4s typically fall in the spring (and increase in the autumn).

-Petrol or diesel is your call, the fuel economy is poor in the real world for both, the petrol is auto only

Stay with public transport until you know where you stand - mass production vehicles are almost universally lousy investments. On the other hand if money is no object then have one - its only money after all...but you wouldn't be having the debate at all if that was the case would you?

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
30-12-2012 06:08pm
chrisd

Hi Straydox

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply - I realise I wrote far too much, really! You're right of course; I can pretty much convince myself I "need" most things with a little work.

I guess the 3dr/5dr thing is to be expected, though the thought of a more rapid slide with resale values is depressing. I hadn't thought about the seasonal aspect of 4x4 sales, either. As for petrol/diesel, I've only had petrol cars before and had pretty much steeled myself to the thought of underwhelming economy - it was more about whether frequent shorter journeys might do damage to the diesel engine over time (I recall reading something about a part which needs to warm up?)

Depreciation is a fact of life, true - I'm not expecting miracles, maybe just better-than-average resale values. And we'd obviously be gaining something in return for it: greater freedom without relying on London's "charming" public transport being a big plus! Sadly money isn't in the "no object" category, so I think I might need to do some more sums before settling one way or another.

Thanks again for the feedback, very much appreciated Smile

Chris
30-12-2012 06:29pm
sco77harris

I was told 3 door resale should be strong, as they will simply tailor output to demand, so there won't be an oversupply.
30-12-2012 06:58pm
chrisd

(30-12-2012 06:58pm)sco77harris Wrote:  I was told 3 door resale should be strong, as they will simply tailor output to demand, so there won't be an oversupply.

Hmm, that's another thing I hadn't thought about. There certainly seem to be fewer 3dr second-hand models around than 5dr, from my casual searching.

Chris
30-12-2012 06:59pm
Daigriff

Mine was in for its first service on Friday and I was astonished at the high prices they were asking for secondhand Evoques...great for me though as I will probably change within 12 months.

From what I can see 5 doors hold their values better than coupes, and agree that a Prestige or Dynamic will be more attractive come resale than a "loaded" Pure.

Although you won't do many miles, looking at resale I feel the SD4 auto will be in more demand than a manual petrol primarily because it's RR.

Also, certain colours will hold their values better and the mpg is poor whichever variant you go for.

All my opinions which may be wide of the mark, but good luck and if you do get one you won't be disappointed.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
30-12-2012 08:02pm
chrisd

(30-12-2012 08:02pm)Daigriff Wrote:  Mine was in for its first service on Friday and I was astonished at the high prices they were asking for secondhand Evoques...great for me though as I will probably change within 12 months.

From what I can see 5 doors hold their values better than coupes, and agree that a Prestige or Dynamic will be more attractive come resale than a "loaded" Pure.

Although you won't do many miles, looking at resale I feel the SD4 auto will be in more demand than a manual petrol primarily because it's RR.

Also, certain colours will hold their values better and the mpg is poor whichever variant you go for.

All my opinions which may be wide of the mark, but good luck and if you do get one you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the input! I'm leaning toward a Dynamic coupe in Orkney Grey or black, SD4 auto, though that's before the sensible side of me gets a word in. While I agree the 5dr probably holds its value more, part of the core appeal is the aesthetic of the coupe.

I'm going to recrunch the sums and see what I can come up with. It would be an indulgence, but then again that's not necessarily a bad thing Very Happy
30-12-2012 11:15pm
muff

Go with what your heart is telling you. You'll love the car
31-12-2012 12:30am
PhilSkill

If you dont absolutely need the money in the future, go with what you want if you desire a coupe then get one it'll sell at the end of the day, whatever you get, but an Evoque will never be a financial investment as its way too mass produced.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
31-12-2012 12:42am
michaelJ

probably not what you want but just in case you may wish to know that I have just advertised my 2012 (12 reg) SD4 Manual Pure diesel 5dr with only 4150 miles on autotrader for £32950 but will accept £32k for quick sale. Reason for sale is that I persuaded myself last year that the Evoque was large enough for my family's needs - which has not proved to be the case! So I need to sell in order to buy a Disco 4.

Incidentally, reason for buying my spec Evoque: Manual gives better MPG than auto; besides I prefer driving manuals given the choice; Diesel give better MPG than petrol and diesel engines last longer; why go for Pure? because the additional cost of the dynamic/prestige is more about higher quality leather and electric seat gadgetry than anything else so you can save money by buying the Pure with the tech pack as I did to get sat nav etc; the panoramic roof is so cool i just had to have it and my understanding is that the non-pano versions are a bit gloomy on the inside due to the smaller windows at the rear of the car and lack of daylight; i have privacy glass more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. I really wanted a red one but my family outvoted me in favour of Orkney Grey. My heart pulled in the direction of a petrol, firenze dynamic but captain sensible reigned me in!. Decisions, decisions, I think i know what you are going through. Anyway, I need to trade for a Disco 4 because I need more space, so if you are interested please call me via the autotrader ad telesafe number of PM me. Currently no photos on the ad because the weather is too bad to take good ones but I am in Cheam, London Borough of Sutton so not too far if you want to have a look. In my opinion the price i am asking is really good compared to trade prices i have seen - some over £37k for similar car!!
31-12-2012 03:05am