Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reliability - Evoque vs. X3 vs. GLK
slee18

RE: Reliability - Evoque vs. X3 vs. GLK

I agree with Tim each persons definition of reliability is different. I had a Honda accord for 6 bought it brand new and had 2 computer replace 3 transmissions replaced. They never left me stranded. I had brand new Lexus IS250 had 4 recalls, bad O2 sensor bad airbag sensor in the first 2 years I had it. I owned the Honda for 6 years 80,000 miles, 5 years and 30,000 miles for the Lexus

But it never left me stranded but is that considered reliable?

Quick note I still own a 1991 camaro Z28 with 117,000 had the computer replaced once and catalytic replaced on it under warranty. Never broke down even when only running on 5cyl of late. Had starter issues when temperature got over 90F and left me stranded for 30mins if I parked it. It only affected me when I ran errands which I didn't use that for. It lost compression to 2 cyl and 1 other cyl lost fuel injectors. Reliable?? It's spent less time in the shop then the Honda or Lexus so you decide

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
15-12-2012 10:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jonathon555

Here is my input for what its worth

My vehicles get worked hard 35k to 40k pa , if i can break it I wil (not intended)

Reliability , i.e warranty work , recovery truck, break downs

1. Audi A4 Sline , 92k in 30 months

Warranty work , 1 dpf sensor at 80k

Breakdowns never

2. 2012 Evoque

13,400 miles in 5 months

Warrenty work. Passenger door adjusted

Breakdowns : only due to a blown tyres that could not be repaired

3: E90 bmw from brand new in 2006

Total rubbish

Breakdowns several

Warranty work too much

Engine power 40 bhp below standard , total snail. Even after me proving it was under powered on a rolling road

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
15-12-2012 10:40pm
nicholascanada

Very interesting comments all. Thank you.
16-12-2012 10:00pm
stiggy

(16-12-2012 10:00pm)nicholascanada Wrote:  Very interesting comments all. Thank you.

Had several Audis including an S5 and none ever let me down, a couple of minor rattles and thats it.
BMW however a different matter, owned pretty much everything from a 320 coupe to a 645Ci and every one had several visits to the dealers for annoying (sometimes costly) faults but again never left me stranded.

No experience of Mercs just not my cup of tea!

5 door Dynamic SD4, Orkney Grey, 20" shadow alloys, contast and pano roof, tints and 40 plus grand lighter!
21-12-2012 03:17pm
tash

Done 30k miles in the evoque now since April, so cover a lot of miles in mixed driving, it's had one service and there was nothing to report, only issue early on was torx screw for door strap was loose, tightened easily.

For second service need the rear brakes checking, possibly worn, my Jaguar XF's where changed at 20k miles, apparently all cars with electronic park brakes wear their rear pads swiftly. Other item is the indicator stalk, has a notchy feel to it, held it on turning a corner and heard a crack, so may have broken it.

I have a manual and second is a little difficult to engage, never has loosened up but other than that evoque has got better with the miles, smoother, quieter, faster and more economical, just wish the company car tax on the sd4 wasn't so high as would have liked the 190bhp version, instead I only got the ed4 150bhp.

I have had a very early freelander 2 had a few electrical/electronic glitches which where sorted with patches, other than that brilliant. Had a last of line freelander 1 td4 and have to say it was very poor, sold it after 6 months, just dire. Also had a RRS, just before we sold it at 3 years it had an electrical fault, reason for selling was that we had heard horror stories on reliability, but in the time we had it it only ever went in for a new drivers seat base, but have to say for a very expensive vehicle it just felt old tech, evoque feels very modern and as good as any Audi, BMW or latest merc I have owned.

Ed4 pure 5 door, Fuji, pan roof, tech pack, privacy, fog lights, style 6 wheels, ebony interior, delivery 22nd March
(This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 12:26am by tash.)
26-12-2012 11:04pm
speary

(26-12-2012 11:04pm)tash Wrote:  For second service need the rear brakes checking, possibly worn, my Jaguar XF's where changed at 20k miles, apparently all cars with electronic park brakes wear their rear pads swiftly. Other item is the indicator stalk, has a notchy feel to it, held it on turning a corner and heard a crack, so may have broken it.

My last Audi A5 had an electronic PB, i did 45000 miles in 4 years and didnt need to replace the rear or front brake pads. There is no logical reason for an EPB to wear brakes more than a manual PB

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
03-01-2013 09:22am
BFGEvoqueMan

Remember, these days very few manufacturers make their own parts, so all of you choices will have very many components that are made by the same 3rd party manufacturers ie Bosch, Hella, Lear etc. So it comes down to who you think will put them together the best. Clearly the RRE is the newest design of these cars, and LR had the benefit of all the preceeding FL2 to iron out most of the reliability issues?

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
03-01-2013 09:42am
PhilSkill

(03-01-2013 09:22am)speary Wrote:  My last Audi A5 had an electronic PB, i did 45000 miles in 4 years and didnt need to replace the rear or front brake pads. There is no logical reason for an EPB to wear brakes more than a manual PB

I also generally choose to release my EPB manually like a normal handbrake before i move off so there is no reason for it to wear additionally either. 1 it reminds me to use the Handbrake in my other car! and 2 I don't like that small lurch you get as the EPB releases on pull away... this is what would wear the pads... Hill starts are a different matter of course, you need the auto release!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
03-01-2013 01:46pm