Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lights... Grrrrr!
Skymonster

Lights... Grrrrr!

So, in the two weeks I've had the Evoque, how many times have I driven away at night without the lights on? Sad

* with my previous mini, the dash/instrument lights didn't come on unless the headlights or sidelights were on - on the Evoque, the dash/instrument lights come on with the ignition
* with my previous mini, the exterior lights didn't come on unless I switched them on - with the Evoque the DRLs come on come what may, at least partially lighting up an otherwise dark car park and leading me to think the headlights are on

The end result is that on several occasions at night I've driven out of the ca park with only the DRLs, and of course that means no lights on the rear (que flashing from other motorists...).

I know I'll learn, but right now it's the biggest irritant... Otherwise, I'm really happy with my choice (have had a Freelander before so I'm aware of some of LRs other quirks!).

Andy
----
3dr 2.2SD4 pure, auto, tech, pano, etc...

----
Pure 2.2SD4, auto, tech, pano, etc... Fuji... And very happy with my choice so far...
19-02-2012 05:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lngrn36

RE: Lights... Grrrrr!

I have mine set on auto. The only time they haven't come on was when I inadvertently set them to the off position. Really easy if you ask me. Set the lights to auto and forget about it!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
19-02-2012 05:23pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

Auto setting for me, no worries.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
19-02-2012 05:32pm
EVO PUNDITT

+1 auto all the way, that's if you have auto on/off

Pure: SD4,Manual,pan roof,electric tail gate,reversing cam,tints,xenons (finally), 19" style 4 and in orkney grey 5 door,ebony headliner,f/s/mirrors,Nov build and Dec arrived
19-02-2012 05:36pm
lrdaft

I don't have auto lights so I know exactly what you mean ,that was 1of my first dissapointments with the car

Pure sd4 auto Fuji cirrus
19-02-2012 07:27pm
PhilSkill

I don't often use auto lights even though I have them, because I find they are going on and off when driving in an area that has overhanging tree's causing shade, (ok that's not a problem, but I don't like my lights doing this and don't think it'll help their life span either), And in the mornings when I don't need to light them up Auto brings them on unnecessarily too. You would not believe how many headlights bulbs i've changed in the Volvo C30 as it has lights on always (rubbish halogens too, it's obviously a known thing with Volvo as they make it incredibly easy to do thankfully!)

But using manual, a few times I have started driving without the lights on too because the DRL's fool you into thinking your lights are on, so I know exactly what you mean. It would be good if we could adjust the light level for the Auto lights (its on the software list) also the DRL's are very bright, not like normal side lights and the rears should be on too otherwise you are left driving with front lit and rear in darkness until you get somewhere dark enough to make you realise.

If this is the enforced by law future of cars we've not quite got it right yet.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-02-2012 08:58pm
lngrn36

I see! Laughing
I drive to work at 4:00am it's dark.
I drive back home at 4:00pm in the sunny state of TX it's light!
So, maybe the engineers designed the auto lights for TX as they work perfectly for me. Very Happy
Ah, yes. My perfect car in my perfect world. Cool

At least LR has one happy Evoque owner.

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Climate package
Satellite Radio
19-02-2012 09:15pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If your main driving lights are not on then there is no little green warning icon light symbol on the dash, when they are on so is the indicator. The DRL's don't cause the icon to illuminate

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-02-2012 10:51pm
lngrn36

(19-02-2012 10:51pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If your main driving lights are not on then there is no little green warning icon light symbol on the dash, when they are on so is the indicator. The DRL's don't cause the icon to illuminate

Thumbs up to fullfat. Good call. I investigated that light when I first took delivery, but I had forgot about using it after finding the auto.

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Climate package
Satellite Radio
20-02-2012 12:17am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It still works the same way with auto -on/off so you know if the lights have developed a mind of their own from the indicator coming on and off. One thing that I am glad that LR has addressed due to 1000's of posts on the other forums is that previously the auto on function was best left switched off because it had to be almost dark before the lights switched on and there was no way that the dealer could adjust the setting for them to come on earlier. I love the system now but have DRL's and a highly visible colour now, previous cars were Stornoway Grey which doesn't stand out on a wet day.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-02-2012 10:15am