Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leave the engine running......
Ranger4

RE: Leave the engine running......

When you press the start/stop you can see, hear and feel that the engine switches off. I can't believe anyone has a problem with this... sorry.

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
27-03-2012 11:15pm
Find all posts by this user
PhilSkill

(27-03-2012 11:15pm)Ranger4 Wrote:  When you press the start/stop you can see, hear and feel that the engine switches off. I can't believe anyone has a problem with this... sorry.

If your in a noisy place and distracted a bit like an airport carpark where you are rushing for the terminal bus with planes flying overhead, It can happen! I have a relative did just this in a Renault megane came back from 2 week holiday to find no car, police had been called when it was found running who towed it somewhere safe and stalled it by blocking exhaust!

Interestingly for those of us with Stop/Start the engine usually stops automatically anyway and if key goes out of range it switches off, probably also switches off if you lock it!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-03-2012 11:22pm
DT

Has this happened to anyone with a diesel?
28-03-2012 08:34am
rvsvet

Can't believe a few things after reading this thread........
Firstly, that I seem to be alone in agreeing with SiT that the concept of keyless entry/start seems a bit pointless. Surely there is nothing difficult about docking an electronic fob in an ignition dock, and I feel it is comforting to know that removal of the fob isolates the ignition circuit.
Secondly, if I had paid good money for an expensive option which achieved nothing more than its standard variant but in fact left the owner vulnerable to greater risks, I would shut up about it rather than whine about it, for fear of appearing foolish with my money.
Thirdly, have none of the other posters here considered that the insurance industry may well monitor these forums, and use threads like this to justify hiking premiums for evoque owners through their own admissions of the car's alleged security failures?

SD4 5 dr Dynamic Auto in OG with verve interior, Shadow Chrome style 7 alloys, Pano roof, privacy glass and spare wheel. Collected 25th May. 900 miles driven in 1st month.
28-03-2012 10:03am
Ianpembs

Or by discussing it on here problems like this and the reasons you mention may get the problem sorted and fixed on cars annual service or even a recall.
I do find it strange though if you try and lock the car with a window open it sounds horn and flashes lights but will allow you to lock it with engine running.
On a manual car I always put in gear when parking so probably less chance of it happening.
28-03-2012 10:20am
Token

(28-03-2012 10:03am)rvsvet Wrote:  Secondly, if I had paid good money for an expensive option which achieved nothing more than its standard variant but in fact left the owner vulnerable to greater risks, I would shut up about it rather than whine about it, for fear of appearing foolish with my money.

Worth checking facts...when I bought mine the standard version came with keyless go, it just doesn't come with keyless entry...also worth noting that it is part of the Lux Pack so unlikely that people paid for it is isolation.

So if I didn't know the facts, I would probably shut up about it rather than appearing foolish with my opinions Smile

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
28-03-2012 11:23am
BOBM4N

(27-03-2012 04:52pm)WB Wrote:  Actually I'm fairly sure the time my wife had the key and I dropped her off a message did come up on the dashboard that the key was not detected.

I shall double check - I'm sure I got nothing when sat in the car as the keys disappeared into the house with the wife.

Finally Arrived 06/02/12 Very Happy :

Dynamic SD4 Auto - Fuji White/Vortex, Pan Roof, Privacy
28-03-2012 05:03pm
THEMACS

(27-03-2012 04:52pm)WB Wrote:  Actually I'm fairly sure the time my wife had the key and I dropped her off a message did come up on the dashboard that the key was not detected.

Yes this is correct, happened to me the other day when the wife nipped into the in laws with the key in her bag as I waited in the car.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
28-03-2012 08:11pm
Land Rover Techy

(28-03-2012 08:11pm)THEMACS Wrote:  Yes this is correct, happened to me the other day when the wife nipped into the in laws with the key in her bag as I waited in the car.

Hi
Key less Entry , it is possible to start the car and then remove the key from the vehicle. On doing this a warning message will come up on the display of the dials to say ' smart key not detected ' although the car will still run. You could then attempt to drive from Central London to Cornwall for arguments sake. The car will drive you all the way there with just the warning message on the display. If you stopped halfway at a service station and turned the car off, this is when it would cause you a problem. Without the key the car will not start again. If you were unlucky enough to lock the car via the door handles, ( cars with keyless entry ) the car may even lock itself for you. But if you then realised you had left a phone or wallet in the car you would not be able to gain entry into the vehicle.

I have seen some people asking why doesnt the car cut out if the key is removed which to be fair seems a fairly normal question but, if the car was to develop a fault when you was driving along the motorway at 70mph the last thing you want is the car to stop.

Every system on a vehicle has good and bad sides to it, and unfortunately opinions will differ but Land Rover have to always try to think of fail safes and more detailed solutions to problems that you may never imagine occurring on your vehicle.

Personally i think its a good idea, the only advise i have to all Evoque owners is not too loose the chrome part of the key, the part on the right hand side which covers the key blade as this is not available separately and you will need to purchase a new remote if lost, and the cost to have it programmed but this may change in the future.

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
28-03-2012 09:08pm
PhilSkill

Thanks LR Techy

(28-03-2012 09:08pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  I have seen some people asking why doesnt the car cut out if the key is removed which to be fair seems a fairly normal question but, if the car was to develop a fault when you was driving along the motorway at 70mph the last thing you want is the car to stop.

That would obviously be easy to avoid in software... don't cut the engine while there is speed (like start/stop detection does already)

It is a pros and cons though, you don't want to leave people stranded if a fault develops, but the key is your security, which do you choose?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-03-2012 09:41pm
Thread Closed