Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leave the engine running......
IKM

RE: Leave the engine running......

Given LR Techy's info on the Evoque, is this the same for all Keyless RR models?

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
28-03-2012 09:48pm
Find all posts by this user
Ianpembs

On the freelander the key has to be inserted into dash and this recharges the battery in the key. It may not be the case in a few months/ year that someone walks off with the key just the battery dies would it be the same problem, is there a way of monitoring battery level in the key.
28-03-2012 10:09pm
BTS18

(28-03-2012 10:09pm)Ianpembs Wrote:  On the freelander the key has to be inserted into dash and this recharges the battery in the key. It may not be the case in a few months/ year that someone walks off with the key just the battery dies would it be the same problem, is there a way of monitoring battery level in the key.

I think I read somewhere that a 'low battery' warning shows up in the car in a similar way the 'key not present' warning is given.

I would have thought teh key battery would also be monitored at service and replaced when appropriate. I don't think anyone has owned an Evoque long enough to have encountered the problem.

5dr Prestige SD4 Auto, Style 5 Wheels, Orkney Grey, Element Interior, Cirrus Headliner, Lux pk, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Spare Wheel.

Ordered: 07/02/12. Build Date: 21/04/12. Delivered: 27/04/12
28-03-2012 10:49pm
Land Rover Techy

(28-03-2012 09:48pm)IKM Wrote:  Given LR Techy's info on the Evoque, is this the same for all Keyless RR models?

Hi, the answer to this is yes but have explained further below in more detail

RRS and D4 are similar to Evoque but there are a few differences.

Sport and Disco 4 like the Evoque will show a smart key not detected warning message on the display. If the car is started and the key is removed from the vehicle just like the Evoque. The cars will continue to run unless switched off which case just like the Evoque ,wherever the car is switched off is where it will stay.

The only major difference between Evoque and Sport Disco often referred to as T5 is this.

When you look at the door handles they are noticeably different. Evoque door handles are colour coded, Sport and D4 door handles were not up until 2012MY build colour coded. Also the door handles have a small rubber button on the actual handle for locking and unlocking the vehicle. If the key is in your pocket and you was on the way to work etc, it is possible to unlock the doors without even touching the door handle, alternatively just pull on the handle and the car will unlock.

On Evoque I do not think this is possible as the Evoque has two raised lines within the door handle which can be hardly noticeable and these need to be touched in order for the doors to lock/unlock.
As there is no docking station the battery in the remote of an Evoque should last the lifetime of the vehicle, if a fault was to occur or the battery inside the remote was to become defective then the remote would need to be replaced.

Range Rover Sport, Range Rover LM (L322) , Disco 4 all up until 12MY Build all had different keys to the Evoque whereas the battery is serviceable/replaceable if required. When the battery in the remote becomes weak the car picks this up and puts a warning message on the display ' Smartkey battery Low ' From 2012, Evoque, Disco4, Sport (L322) LM all share the same style key.

Range Rover LM (L322) does not have keyless entry, the door handles are conventional handles, this may change with the new Range Rover (L405) but this car is kept closely private, as is due for launch in the later part of the year.

Freelander 2 does not have keyless entry or keyless start the key has to be put in the docking station, and this is also where it charges the battery.

Hope this makes sense
28-03-2012 11:24pm
RacingSnake

(28-03-2012 11:24pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  As there is no docking station the battery in the remote of an Evoque should last the lifetime of the vehicle, if a fault was to occur or the battery inside the remote was to become defective then the remote would need to be replaced.
Range Rover Sport, Range Rover LM (L322) , Disco 4 all up until 12MY Build all had different keys to the Evoque whereas the battery is serviceable/replaceable if required. When the battery in the remote becomes weak the car picks this up and puts a warning message on the display ' Smartkey battery Low ' From 2012, Evoque, Disco4, Sport (L322) LM all share the same style key.
Page 11 of the manual (July 2011 version) states :
CHANGING THE SMART KEY
BATTTERY
When the battery needs renewing, there will be a significant decrease in the effective range and the message SMART KEY BATTERY LOW will be displayed in the message centre.

To renew the battery:
1. Slide open the side cover.
2. Remove the emergency key and fit into the receiver.
3. With the key unfolded, twist it to split the Smart Key case open.
4. Remove the old battery and fit a new CR2032 type battery (available from your Dealer), with the positive (+) side upwards

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
29-03-2012 07:35am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Token

(28-03-2012 09:41pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Thanks LR Techy

That would obviously be easy to avoid in software... don't cut the engine while there is speed (like start/stop detection does already)

It is a pros and cons though, you don't want to leave people stranded if a fault develops, but the key is your security, which do you choose?

I'm both struggling and amused by this thread!

The warning that comes up when the key is not present is simply impossible to not notice!

As for they simple solution that the engine should not run if the key is not present, but software should recognise when there is speed and not cut out. Here is a scenario...

I have somehow managed to leave the house without the key and have somehow managed to miss the massive warning on the dash...and I have driven a few miles...eventually I open my eyes and see the warning on the dash so I stop the car, select park, and I check my pocket to see if it is a system fault or to see if I have really left without my key. No key. So I get out the car and go to the boot to see if the key is in my briefcase...it isn't. I realise that I must have left the key at home and decide to drive back to get it, but at some point during stopping, parking, and getting out, the engine has automatically cut out...so now I can't get home!

Seriously guys...the warning is significant and cannot surely be missed! Despite the Start/Stop switch not being great, there is loud 'bonging' when you open the door with the engine running...you can't lock the car if you don't have the key...you can't unlock the car if you don't have the key...you can't start the car if you don't have the key...what is the problem here?????

Ugh!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
29-03-2012 07:49am
Rich23

Thanks all. I've enjoyed watching the discussion unfold since I posted this thread. I've learned a lot about my new car on this great forum and the lesson learned on this one is to SLOW DOWN a little. I'm guessing most of us lead hectic, busy lives and in the situation I described at the beginning of this thread, I was out the car, heard what i thought was the beep to confirm it was locked, and in the store in a matter of seconds. It never crossed my mind it was possible to leave a car with the engine on but it is so wanted to highlight this to folks on this forum.
29-03-2012 10:58am
THEMACS

(29-03-2012 10:58am)Rich23 Wrote:  . I've learned a lot about my new car on this great forum and the lesson learned on this one is to SLOW DOWN a little.

Either that or Engage Brain!!Laughing

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
29-03-2012 01:41pm
PhilSkill

If you've always driven key operated cars there is a fundamental difference that you have to get used to, and is what catches people out.

With a Key, the Key and Car cannot be parted with the Engine running (it's locked in the ignition switch). If you have the key in your possesion, It may not be locked but the engine is not running.

With a Radio Key and Button start (keyless entry is actually irrellevant) the Key and Car CAN be parted with the engine running.

LR can't just turn the engine off on people as it could strand the car in a dangerous situation, so the compromise is to put a warning up and allow it to run so you can return to the key or find a safe place to sort it out, but it cannot be restarted until it sees the key again.

The difference with this is the keys are in your pocket out of mind and it opens up the possibility for someone to jump in the car without the key and drive off if the engine is running... but it's not a real difference to leaving your keys in the car while you get something.

I got in the Mazda the other day having put the keys back in my pocket after unlocking it... had to get out again to get them out of my pocket so I could put the key in the ignition! D'oh! Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-03-2012 02:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've recently done the same with Defender Phill, even worse I have 3 keys for it, it is so old fashioned! Ignition, door locks and fuel cap, centre cubby box. One great thing with the wireless / keyless system is no more holes worn in trouser pockets by sharp ended keys!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 02:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-03-2012 02:40pm
Thread Closed