Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keys stolen.
David-H.

Keys stolen.

Hi all.

Unfortunately our house was broken into on Friday evening, and along with the various items taken were both sets of keys for the Evoque, though thankfully they didn't touch the car.

I've got to say Land Rover assist were great. We discovered the break in just after midnight, realised the keys were gone about an hour later and LRA were at the house within the hour from me calling them. Even though they couldn't move the car as they didn't have skates to put under the wheels, they made sure the car was secure. They came back on Saturday and took the vehicle to the dealers.

Bad news was to come when I was told the price for new keys and locks - £868! Then more bad news today, they also need a body control module which will set me back another £575!! I didn't quite understand what this body control module is for, can anyone enlighten me?

If it wasn't a week night, I'd be seeking solace in a large single malt, but I'll have to wait for the weekend.

David.

Dynamic Coupe SD4 manual, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass & 20" Chrome Shadow Alloys.

Other drives - Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2 " (Offroad toy)
BMW Mini John Cooper Works.
30-04-2013 07:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Keys stolen.

Ouch and Ouch.
Sorry to hear your woes Sad amazed they didn't take the car that night?!

I am really surprised you need a new BCM, as you can 'simply' purchase additional keys and have them coded to the car... up to 5 fobs I think.
Maybe it needs replacing because the original keys will remain active? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe?
Can you have this cost covered under your house insurance as a consequential loss?

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
30-04-2013 08:02pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MartinP

With that sort of news I would pretend it was Friday and get the bottle out!

Retired! SD4 Manual, Prestige 5 door, Havana with Ambiance interior, plus lux pack and spare wheel.
Arrived! SD4 Auto, Autobiography 5 door, Kaikoura Stone with Tan interior, HUD/Solar glass, ACC, Lane Departure warning, Sign recognition plus spare wheel. Built 16 March. Collected 2 April.
[Image: 129200.png]
30-04-2013 08:03pm
PhilSkill

Bad luck, bad thank god they didn't take the Evoque!

Insurance... house or car surely...?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-04-2013 08:34pm
chris taylor

(30-04-2013 07:51pm)David-H. Wrote:  Hi all.

Unfortunately our house was broken into on Friday evening, and along with the various items taken were both sets of keys for the Evoque, though thankfully they didn't touch the car.

I've got to say Land Rover assist were great. We discovered the break in just after midnight, realised the keys were gone about an hour later and LRA were at the house within the hour from me calling them. Even though they couldn't move the car as they didn't have skates to put under the wheels, they made sure the car was secure. They came back on Saturday and took the vehicle to the dealers.

Bad news was to come when I was told the price for new keys and locks - £868! Then more bad news today, they also need a body control module which will set me back another £575!! I didn't quite understand what this body control module is for, can anyone enlighten me?

If it wasn't a week night, I'd be seeking solace in a large single malt, but I'll have to wait for the weekend.

David.

Hi ilost one set of keys ,all the dealer did was get a new key and as soon as it was coded to the car the lost key would be of no use as they told me only 2 keys can be coded to the car.when you bought the car there should be a code to program the keys in your service book .
30-04-2013 09:21pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The dealer will have to replace the BCM so that it doesn't recognise the missing keys should your midnight visitors return and try to steal the car with the original keys. You will also need to have new locks so that they cannot use the emergency key in the shiney section of the fob

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-05-2013 12:26am
caroline11000

Such awful news David, glad they didn't take the Evoque as well. We had the same situation many years ago and we and had to pay for new keys/locks for the car because the house insurance didn't cover it and if we claimed on the car insurance we would have lost our no claims!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
01-05-2013 02:14am
WB
WB

That is terrible news but at least they didn't take the car.

Perhaps phone a couple of other dealers to check if the BCM module does need to be changed - its possible that it could be re-programmed to "forget" the old keys.

I do think its worth checking with both home and car insurance if you're covered too - if you have protected no claims it might be worth claiming in this case.
01-05-2013 09:03am
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

Quote:The dealer will have to replace the BCM so that it doesn't recognise the missing keys should your midnight visitors return and try to steal the car with the original keys. You will also need to have new locks so that they cannot use the emergency key in the shiney section of the fob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what Tim said

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk
http://www.duckworthlandrover.co.uk - Vehicle Sales
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

You can make a paypal directly to the email above

[Image: hwc8.jpg]
01-05-2013 10:00am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
David-H.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the words of support. It's been a pretty traumatic few days, but we're now starting to feel a bit more normal again.

The keys aren't covered under the house insurance and my car insurance only cover the first £100, so it's probably not worth claiming as they'll no doubt screw me come renewal time, despite their assurance it won't affect my no claims discount.

Not sure when I'll get the car back, but if anyone fancies seeing a grown man cry as he hands his credit card to the service department, I'll let you know the date.

Thanks again - David.

Dynamic Coupe SD4 manual, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass & 20" Chrome Shadow Alloys.

Other drives - Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2 " (Offroad toy)
BMW Mini John Cooper Works.
01-05-2013 08:43pm