babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Keys stolen. - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Keys stolen. (/Thread-Keys-stolen)

Pages: 1 2

Keys stolen. - David-H. - 30-04-2013 07:51pm

Hi all.

Unfortunately our house was broken into on Friday evening, and along with the various items taken were both sets of keys for the Evoque, though thankfully they didn't touch the car.

I've got to say Land Rover assist were great. We discovered the break in just after midnight, realised the keys were gone about an hour later and LRA were at the house within the hour from me calling them. Even though they couldn't move the car as they didn't have skates to put under the wheels, they made sure the car was secure. They came back on Saturday and took the vehicle to the dealers.

Bad news was to come when I was told the price for new keys and locks - £868! Then more bad news today, they also need a body control module which will set me back another £575!! I didn't quite understand what this body control module is for, can anyone enlighten me?

If it wasn't a week night, I'd be seeking solace in a large single malt, but I'll have to wait for the weekend.

David.

RE: Keys stolen. - RacingSnake - 30-04-2013 08:02pm

Ouch and Ouch.
Sorry to hear your woes Sad amazed they didn't take the car that night?!

I am really surprised you need a new BCM, as you can 'simply' purchase additional keys and have them coded to the car... up to 5 fobs I think.
Maybe it needs replacing because the original keys will remain active? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe?
Can you have this cost covered under your house insurance as a consequential loss?

RE: Keys stolen. - MartinP - 30-04-2013 08:03pm

With that sort of news I would pretend it was Friday and get the bottle out!

RE: Keys stolen. - PhilSkill - 30-04-2013 08:34pm

Bad luck, bad thank god they didn't take the Evoque!

Insurance... house or car surely...?

RE: Keys stolen. - chris taylor - 30-04-2013 09:21pm

(30-04-2013 07:51pm)David-H. Wrote:  Hi all.

Unfortunately our house was broken into on Friday evening, and along with the various items taken were both sets of keys for the Evoque, though thankfully they didn't touch the car.

I've got to say Land Rover assist were great. We discovered the break in just after midnight, realised the keys were gone about an hour later and LRA were at the house within the hour from me calling them. Even though they couldn't move the car as they didn't have skates to put under the wheels, they made sure the car was secure. They came back on Saturday and took the vehicle to the dealers.

Bad news was to come when I was told the price for new keys and locks - £868! Then more bad news today, they also need a body control module which will set me back another £575!! I didn't quite understand what this body control module is for, can anyone enlighten me?

If it wasn't a week night, I'd be seeking solace in a large single malt, but I'll have to wait for the weekend.

David.

Hi ilost one set of keys ,all the dealer did was get a new key and as soon as it was coded to the car the lost key would be of no use as they told me only 2 keys can be coded to the car.when you bought the car there should be a code to program the keys in your service book .

RE: Keys stolen. - XFullFatTim - 01-05-2013 12:26am

The dealer will have to replace the BCM so that it doesn't recognise the missing keys should your midnight visitors return and try to steal the car with the original keys. You will also need to have new locks so that they cannot use the emergency key in the shiney section of the fob

RE: Keys stolen. - caroline11000 - 01-05-2013 02:14am

Such awful news David, glad they didn't take the Evoque as well. We had the same situation many years ago and we and had to pay for new keys/locks for the car because the house insurance didn't cover it and if we claimed on the car insurance we would have lost our no claims!

RE: Keys stolen. - WB - 01-05-2013 09:03am

That is terrible news but at least they didn't take the car.

Perhaps phone a couple of other dealers to check if the BCM module does need to be changed - its possible that it could be re-programmed to "forget" the old keys.

I do think its worth checking with both home and car insurance if you're covered too - if you have protected no claims it might be worth claiming in this case.

RE: Keys stolen. - duckworthparts - 01-05-2013 10:00am

Quote:The dealer will have to replace the BCM so that it doesn't recognise the missing keys should your midnight visitors return and try to steal the car with the original keys. You will also need to have new locks so that they cannot use the emergency key in the shiney section of the fob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what Tim said

RE: Keys stolen. - David-H. - 01-05-2013 08:43pm

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the words of support. It's been a pretty traumatic few days, but we're now starting to feel a bit more normal again.

The keys aren't covered under the house insurance and my car insurance only cover the first £100, so it's probably not worth claiming as they'll no doubt screw me come renewal time, despite their assurance it won't affect my no claims discount.

Not sure when I'll get the car back, but if anyone fancies seeing a grown man cry as he hands his credit card to the service department, I'll let you know the date.

Thanks again - David.