Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just had the scariest experience of my life!!!
Pete

RE: Just had the scariest experience of my life!!!

Interesting indeed.

However, Samantha's car is a 2012 SD4, so that'll be a 6 speed like mine. At 80mph, you're hovering above 2,000 rpm. In her case, I expect this is a proper sensor fault, not just a lack of regeneration...

You think in these modern times, the ECU would know when a regeneration is due and downshift/raise revs accordingly and not force the driver to do anything. Then again, this might be confusing in itself to most drivers.

Porsche Macan
21-06-2016 02:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Good shot

(21-06-2016 02:04pm)Pete Wrote:  Interesting indeed.

However, Samantha's car is a 2012 SD4, so that'll be a 6 speed like mine. At 80mph, you're hovering above 2,000 rpm. In her case, I expect this is a proper sensor fault, not just a lack of regeneration...

You think in these modern times, the ECU would know when a regeneration is due and downshift/raise revs accordingly and not force the driver to do anything. Then again, this might be confusing in itself to most drivers.

Surely it's a major safety issue as well if the car is unexpectedly dropping your revs while overtaking. I've not seen any general advice from JLR about this. Isn't it a big liability for them? Wife drives mine a lot and I'm hesitant to pass this info on - sort of puts you off from fast lane driving.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
21-06-2016 03:44pm
samanthacoolbeans

The local garage just returned my car... The fault was a 'brittle and split' pipe connected to the DPF.

They said that the sensor was operating correctly and it was this split pipe which caused the issue.

As far as i understand it, this pipe caused a false pressure reading to the sensor which stopped the regeneration process from taking place.
The garage confirmed that if i had kept driving it with this fault then my DPF would become full and require expensive action to fix.

They took the car up and down a few motorway junctions and said the DPF did a successful regeneration. They also ran some additive to help clean it through.

Total cost £105
21-06-2016 04:07pm
PhilSkill

Excellent news Samcb, yes a split pipe would definitely cause this, interestingly shows the pipe and sensor are separate, as mine said replaced Sensor and Pipes, but only charged for the sensor under parts. I would image you would change the pipes when changing the sensor regardless as they will age and split.

Re auto regen, All it would mean is it would need to demand a lower gear (raising the revs) during regeneration, and yes it should all be automatic, but I image the reason they don't do it is you would find it unnerving if every 300 miles the car started revving higher. In the Manual 6th is not a long gear, so easily sitting at 2000+ rpm when pushing on down the Motorway when mine failed, probably in the middle of a regeneration when the pressure and temperature were at their highest.

I agree this is a physical fault and quite a common one, i've been there, as has Tim, it's a very volatile area (read hot, sooty etc) for sensors and in that environment they fail. Manufacturers are forced by law to add these systems and unfortunately we pay the price when they go wrong, but hopefully we aren't paying the price with Asthma, Bronchitis, Cancer and other respiratory diseases affected by Diesel Particulates.

I reckon my next car will be a petrol again...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2016 04:27pm by PhilSkill.)
21-06-2016 04:09pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Phil, that was my line of thought too regarding next car and unfortunately unless LR starts fitting the V6 S/C available to overseas markets, in UK cars then what choice is there unless you go Jaguar. My name is down on the list of interested people for both the Telsa X and Model 3 with AWD. Without a change by Land Rover it will be my first non LR car since 1995................ 11 LR cars in that time!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-06-2016 05:05pm
PhilSkill

2nd hand F-Type with at least year of Warranty looking more attractive.. well if that car can look more attractive that it already is Very Happy

Gone a bit off topic but... I see a Tesla S on my commute everyday, which shows they are becoming a viable alternative. Even saw 2 charging spaces in my local council car park the other day...

Still haven't got my head around you just Plug-in and Charge.. where's the paystation, In a council car park who is paying for the Leccy? Is it subsidised..?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
21-06-2016 05:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Around here and in Glasgow if you have a 'lecky car or a plug in hybrid then most of the car parks have 2 or 3 slots with chargers and yes they are free but you still have to pay the normal rate to park, even in the national park there are charging points in most of the car parks and they are free too. I see an increasing number of Tesla S's too and that is despite there only being a single sales outlet in the whole of Scotland. When I drove south to Devon in May I was surprised by the number of Renault Zoes and Nissan Leafs I saw pounding the motorways and plugged into the charging points at motorway stops, more of them than Outlander PHEV's. There is one issue with Tesla's............. Cost! An S with optional Ludicrous Mode is £90,000 - that's a lot of planet to save!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-06-2016 06:31pm
PhilSkill

Yep, that's an expensive car, and still burning oil to make that power, with all the losses involved getting it into the battery from the power station, but they are making significant progress for sure.

21-06-2016 10:56pm
Pete

Yeah. And it's not just the carbon footprint you're using while you have the car (you're right that there's a cost in the generation of that electricity before it gets to your car), there's also the environmental cost in manufacturing the batteries themselves.

I'm not yet convinced that electric cars are cleaner in terms of total cost (manufacture/recycle/ownership) than fossil powered cars.

With tongue in cheek, I could say that paying a large amount of tax for a 5.0ltr monster would contribute to good causes and help fund development of cleaner fuels and manufacturing.

Porsche Macan
22-06-2016 07:34am