Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Insurance (again!)...
ogpurestyle

RE: Insurance (again!)...

(19-08-2013 01:18pm)doug Wrote:  Your lucky. I had the same problems a few years ago. I just couldn't make there call centre understand that unless they match the online price for my renewal, than I will be taking my business else ware. After speaking to 3 different staff members one a manager, I give up. Admiral did receive a very nice letter from me outlining the fact they have now lost a long standing customer who in the past has had such great service, but will now never use them again.

It's not just Admiral, all these insurance companies are the same. With there low online prices to draw you in, then hack up the costs after a year or two. Evil

You may be right about being lucky but it may also have been timing as I think that there had been a number of press articles about the practice and a Watchdog article around that time in which, if memory serves me correctly, they stated that they would "honour" a quote from the web site.
19-08-2013 02:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wavey.dave

I tried to get a web quote from Admiral, but it recognised the number plate and wouldn't give me another quote.

[Image: 143277.png]
19-08-2013 04:20pm
recordman

(19-08-2013 04:20pm)wavey.dave Wrote:  I tried to get a web quote from Admiral, but it recognised the number plate and wouldn't give me another quote.

Why not pretend you haven't got the car yet and don't put in the regn. No.
OTOH, if they behave like that why do they deserve your's and anyone else's business, just go elsewhere, there's plenty of choice.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
19-08-2013 04:59pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Something to bear in mind if you ever want to take your LR/RR off the tarred road or onto an unclassified road is that with any of the "discount" insurers you will not be covered, with LRI offroad use is included, as is cover for anything you might tow and anything you put on the roof rack. OK maybe not what a lot of owners might do with their cars, but mention that you might want to take your offroad capable car actually off road ( even onto a tarred unclassified road) then they either run a mile or jack up your premium hugely.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-08-2013 05:09pm
mark_n

I'm on Admiral multi-car as well with 4 cars and I was worried the first renewal after adding the cars would be substantially more that the annualised premiums when the cars were added. In the end, the total hardly went up but it sounds like they get you eventually.

Ali, Admiral provide me with a breakdown by car, have they done the same for you, I can't remember, did you claim for your roof on insurance?

There is plenty of choice out there, fortunately, though I hate the habit insurers have of increasing the renewal compared to a new quote. A fifth car I have - which Admiral will not touch - went up 40% this year; I just cancelled the policy and bought a new one online for less than last year's premium.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-08-2013 11:34pm
RichR1973

I have my evoque on order and have been checking insurance costs. My current policy is with elephant who are part of Admiral. I got 3 new web quotes. Liverpool Victoria were the highest, 2nd was Elephant and best at approx £440 was Esure. I will get elephant to match Esures quote which approx £50 cheaper or I will switch. I agree it is essential to get new quotes each year to keep your premium low
22-08-2013 10:57pm
alibeau

Hi again!

Thanks for all the replies. All sorted.

Mark - I was told at the time of my pano roof disaster that I would have to claim on the main policy. A few months after the claim was completed I received a cheque from Admiral for £25. I also received a call from them explaining that I had paid a £100 excess in error and should only have paid £75 due to the fact that the excess on any glass claim is £75 whereas a claim on the main policy is £100...... So one would presume the claim went through as a glass claim.... I am going to call them to clarify when we get home.

We are currently on hols in the US and due to moving house prior to our hol, I completely forgot about our car insurance expiring while we are away. Given that we are away it was far simpler for us to stay with Admiral so I went online got a few rough quotes and then rang admiral. They shaved the best part of £500 off our mullticar policy and our renewal premium is £200 cheaper than last year! So all good! Still maddening that they put the premiums up so high on renewal though....

I have put a note in my diary to get my facts and figures together next year before we go on hols - doh!

It still bothers me that Admiral class all factory fitted optional extras as modifications and we have to list each item as such?! Lady said it was to ensure we are fully covered, she explained their reasoning which made sense but in all my years of buying car insurance we have never done this previous to going with Admiral..... Were we underinsured for all those years??!

Will look into it all more thoroughly next year!

Thanks again.

Ali. Smile

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 23-08-2013 02:24am by alibeau.)
23-08-2013 02:19am
mark_n

Good to hear you were able to get them down, I think insurers inflate premiums in the hope that some people will pay them without question. Always worth shopping around. I await my renewal from Admiral with interest.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
23-08-2013 10:12pm
Kentboy

Tesco, £150 lower than my renewal with Admiral who incidentally said they sent the reminder but it never arrived and they were going to automatically renew the policy taking the money from my account. Tesco policy was better all round with a lower excess.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
27-08-2013 08:55pm
alibeau

(27-08-2013 08:55pm)Kentboy Wrote:  Tesco, £150 lower than my renewal with Admiral who incidentally said they sent the reminder but it never arrived and they were going to automatically renew the policy taking the money from my account. Tesco policy was better all round with a lower excess.

Well as I say, we are on hols at mo, flying home tonight, so I am presuming my renewal paperwork will be sat waiting for me, we'll see! The only reason I 'remembered' about the insurance is that I received an email from compare the market (I think).....

Good news re Tesco!

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 27-08-2013 11:44pm by alibeau.)
27-08-2013 11:44pm