Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Halogen to HID is it possible?
Kugaman1

Halogen to HID is it possible?

Hi,

Ive read loads of posts on this all over the t'internet, but never seem to get a definitive answer.

Ive got halogen lights and have ordered a set of HID bulbs and ballasts. I aim to convert them just to get more light on the road. Simple enough.

However, I would really like signature DRLs and associated HIDS. Has anyone managed to fit new headlights and get the DRLs / HIDs working?

If so, how difficult was it? Id really like to know if this can be done. I know a breaker that has the lights but is it worth me buying them if this mod cant be done......

Any definitive comments very much appreciated....
16-09-2014 09:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Halogen to HID is it possible?

You would need to fit a high pressure headlight lens washer system to comply with construction rules if you fitted the Xenon units with signature DRLs, there are also two different Xenon systems, the plain system and the adaptive system so you have to make sure that you get the "plain" system, the adaptives get connected to the steering and direction indicators as well as having the high power washers. Not sure how legal HiDs are and from experience they can be a right pain in the eyes for oncoming traffic if your headlights are dirty or they are even a tiny bit out of alignment. Both Xenon system also have a built in self levelling system that adjusts to adapt to the loading of the car

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 10:28pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2014 10:27pm
Kugaman1

(16-09-2014 10:27pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You would need to fit a high pressure headlight lens washer system to comply with construction rules if you fitted the Xenon units with signature DRLs, there are also two different Xenon systems, the plain system and the adaptive system so you have to make sure that you get the "plain" system, the adaptives get connected to the steering and direction indicators as well as having the high power washers. Not sure how legal HiDs are and from experience they can be a right pain in the eyes for oncoming traffic if your headlights are dirty or they are even a tiny bit out of alignment. Both Xenon system also have a built in self levelling system that adjusts to adapt to the loading of the car

Thanks mate - my car is fitted with the headlight washing system.

Also, I don't believe there are any issues using the hids on the existing units as they are projector lights, not reflectors.

Im more interested on what needs to be done to get the signature drls working and maybe get the factory hids working.....theres lots of talk, but has anyone on here actually done it?

Im very interested to find out!Very Happy
16-09-2014 10:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I'm sure that there is a post here from somebody who fitted the "signature" LED's but I don't think anyone has gone
over to the full on change to Hid/Xenons successfully. You may have to make do with replacement bulbs in the existing light units.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-09-2014 10:49pm
Jinzen

You can buy the signature LEDs Xenon Headlights and then reconfigure the wiring to work with your existing system - at least it's possible here.

It's just a lot of work and money.

Easier to just put in a 9005 Xenon kit from Retrofit Source or similar for $150 and you've got a good lighting system (and much better color temperature).
16-09-2014 11:56pm
Kugaman1

(16-09-2014 11:56pm)Jinzen Wrote:  You can buy the signature LEDs Xenon Headlights and then reconfigure the wiring to work with your existing system - at least it's possible here.

It's just a lot of work and money.

Easier to just put in a 9005 Xenon kit from Retrofit Source or similar for $150 and you've got a good lighting system (and much better color temperature).

Yeah, Ive just put this kit in :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271033095377?_...EBIDX%3AIT

Seems like a good compromise between cost/quality.

It doesn't give me signature DRLs but it looks like that was going to be way too difficult....
17-09-2014 03:15pm
Smoftah

Hi,

I have successfully converted my halogen lights to factory xenon lights with signature drl's.

I bought second hand factory complete xenon lights.

Plugged the complete factory xenon headlights in and they worked but sometimes they would turn off as the car thought the extra battery drain on start up was a broken circuit so it protects itself and shuts down the xenon.

I took it to cartronics in Surrey and they programmed the xenons to the car and installed a module into the headlights ( some sort of relay )

Now they work perfectly like factory xenons.
20-09-2014 10:56pm
Kugaman1

(20-09-2014 10:56pm)Smoftah Wrote:  Hi,

I have successfully converted my halogen lights to factory xenon lights with signature drl's.

I bought second hand factory complete xenon lights.

Plugged the complete factory xenon headlights in and they worked but sometimes they would turn off as the car thought the extra battery drain on start up was a broken circuit so it protects itself and shuts down the xenon.

I took it to cartronics in Surrey and they programmed the xenons to the car and installed a module into the headlights ( some sort of relay )

Now they work perfectly like factory xenons.

Thanks mate, what sort of price dud they charge you for the modifications?
22-09-2014 08:16am
Smoftah

I paid £220 for the headlights off of eBay and cartronics charged me £650+vat to install and code them in.
22-09-2014 08:29am
Kugaman1

(22-09-2014 08:29am)Smoftah Wrote:  I paid £220 for the headlights off of eBay and cartronics charged me £650+vat to install and code them in.

Wow!! Installing and coding at £650 plus vat seems very expensive.... Any idea what they did coding wise?

I can get some lights for a similar price to you and can easily install myself, its just the coding side thats the problem!
22-09-2014 10:52am