Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Halewood the truth
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Halewood the truth

The way Land Rover ties up suppliers you can bet your bottom dollar that if the problem is down to DHL they will be paying LR unbelievable amounts of compensation for the production line grinding to a halt.
On a visit to Solihull a few years back we were told that if there was a stoppage on the line due to a smash on the motorway casing delays to deliveries - suppliers who had trucks stuck for hours started helicoptering in pallet loads of parts as it was cheaper than stopping the line - it's one reason why the Lode Lane plant still has it's own sport's ground - it doubles up as a heliport. Back then it was reckoned that 1 hour of stopped production cost more than £1million...............
3 years ago at Southampton Containerport a gantry crane collapsed over one of the ships on the berth, unfortunately Honda in Swindon had to close down because the factory had "just in time" delivery parts onboard the ship. Ships today are not just a mode of transport, they are floating warehouses and any delay due to breakdown or bad weather can have huge cost implications for the ship's owner.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 10:27am by XFullFatTim.)
14-10-2011 10:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

When I last visited Porsche, I was told that when a car starts its way down the line, 80% of the parts it will use have not yet arrived at the factory. Makes you wonder what the blood pressure of the logistics managers is like.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
14-10-2011 10:35am
GibEvoque

(14-10-2011 10:08am)mark_n Wrote:  There are 1500 people from DHL working at Halewood and they are responsible for getting the right parts for each car to the line on time. All fine, providing the parts are there to begin with. Plus there are a lot of contract people among them and an outstanding pay issue. Hardly the way to create good will.

It makes sense to have DHL involved if their responsibility includes getting the parts to Halewood as well. Their responsibility then extends all the way from dispatch at myriad suppliers around the world all the way to the crates and racks behind the assembly line workers. Sounds a great idea until you find it doesn't work, as here.

Truth is, we don't know where the problem is. If the 5 door pressings are out of spec due to damaged tooling, that will torpedo 5 door production. If, for whatever reason, Xenons are late or sub-par or any of the thousands of other parts, that will mess things up as well. It's a wonder any cars get built.

That said, the grey 5 door queuing in Hampstead High Street while I was waiting to upgrade to an iPhone 4S looked great. To anyone thinking of cancelling, don't, you will be bound to regret it.

Not going to ask why you were queing for an iPhone Rolling Eyes

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
14-10-2011 11:04am
XFullFatTim

Because he cannot use his Blackberry?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-10-2011 11:13am
EVO PUNDITT

At least there is no production problem with the iphone 4s, well at least for now.

Pure: SD4,Manual,pan roof,electric tail gate,reversing cam,tints,xenons (finally), 19" style 4 and in orkney grey 5 door,ebony headliner,f/s/mirrors,Nov build and Dec arrived
14-10-2011 11:48am
hybris

Iphone 4s is what we call "a pig with makeup. Under the makeup its still a pig" Wink

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
14-10-2011 12:10pm
XFullFatTim

But it works, its easy to use unlike any other smartphone I have owned (especially Blackberries and most Nokias) and it looks good. A bit like comparing the BMW pig in make-up with an RRE I suppose Wink

(This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 12:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
14-10-2011 12:15pm
griff

You lay off my BMW Laughing

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
14-10-2011 12:30pm
hybris

An Iphone 4s is still an iPhone 4 with makeup. Marketing is king! I did not see one single killer feature why I would upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. Its a pig with makeup... Wink

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
14-10-2011 12:57pm
GibEvoque

Its especially a pig when you upgrade to IOS 5, took me 6 hours, and ended losing all my photos and two films i had.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
14-10-2011 01:33pm