babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Halewood the truth - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Halewood the truth (/Thread-Halewood-the-truth)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Halewood the truth - EVO PUNDITT - 13-10-2011 09:27pm

If they are having mass meetings ,then who the hell is building our cars.
Unions are involved ,there is a lot going on we don't know about. No wonder all the delays "L/R sort it and give us our cars!!!"

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/10/01/jaguar-land-rover-agency-staff-to-hold-mass-meeting-in-speke-over-contracts-row-100252-29518697/

RE: Halewood the truth - PhilSkill - 13-10-2011 10:11pm

And thus most manufacturing has moved to China... Rolling Eyes

RE: Halewood the truth - The Valeter - 13-10-2011 11:06pm

(13-10-2011 10:11pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  And thus most manufacturing has moved to China... Rolling Eyes

Hardly surprising really. British workers are too greedy & that has been our downfall for years. Still I guess if LR production moves to China it will meet up with it's old close relation - MG!

RE: Halewood the truth - griff - 13-10-2011 11:12pm

I thought this was resolved a couple of weeks ago?
Seems like old news to me IIRC

RE: Halewood the truth - XFullFatTim - 13-10-2011 11:39pm

If LR moves anywhere it will be to India - better qualified work force with huge aspiration and more enthusiasm than the Chinese work force who actually are now starting to get a name for striking for more pay and better conditions! One problem with China is language - many companies relocated there and cannot communicate easily with their work force, in Inda that isn't a problem except really out in remote places. Also the company is INDIAN owned now whether we like it or not. Ratan Tata and his family call the tunes and they must be delighted with the results that JLR are achieving after they invested without the last government's help. I read somewhere recently that a second Freelander2 and Defender factory might be set up in India just to cater for the insatiable demand from that one country

RE: Halewood the truth - The Valeter - 13-10-2011 11:51pm

(13-10-2011 11:39pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If LR moves anywhere it will be to India - better qualified work force with huge aspiration and more enthusiasm than the Chinese work force who actually are now starting to get a name for striking for more pay and better conditions! One problem with China is language - many companies relocated there and cannot communicate easily with their work force, in Inda that isn't a problem except really out in remote places. Also the company is INDIAN owned now whether we like it or not. Ratan Tata and his family call the tunes and they must be delighted with the results that JLR are achieving after they invested without the last government's help. I read somewhere recently that a second Freelander2 and Defender factory might be set up in India just to cater for the insatiable demand from that one country

Makes sense really. Halewood for UK & Europe & India for the far East! I believe this has been talked about some time back.

RE: Halewood the truth - Gorjan - 14-10-2011 06:50am

Don't blame the workers for being "greedy". They might also like to be able to purchase an Evoque Smile

RE: Halewood the truth - hybris - 14-10-2011 07:56am

Tata should move production to India! If they want to scale...

RE: Halewood the truth - GibEvoque - 14-10-2011 08:15am

Is it me or is the article actually abouht DHL and the role they play in supplying parts, (or not supplying in case of Xenons).

If its carries on JLR could probably terminate based on clause in the contracts in which DLH are not meeting standards in the SLAs in place.

RE: Halewood the truth - mark_n - 14-10-2011 10:08am

There are 1500 people from DHL working at Halewood and they are responsible for getting the right parts for each car to the line on time. All fine, providing the parts are there to begin with. Plus there are a lot of contract people among them and an outstanding pay issue. Hardly the way to create good will.

It makes sense to have DHL involved if their responsibility includes getting the parts to Halewood as well. Their responsibility then extends all the way from dispatch at myriad suppliers around the world all the way to the crates and racks behind the assembly line workers. Sounds a great idea until you find it doesn't work, as here.

Truth is, we don't know where the problem is. If the 5 door pressings are out of spec due to damaged tooling, that will torpedo 5 door production. If, for whatever reason, Xenons are late or sub-par or any of the thousands of other parts, that will mess things up as well. It's a wonder any cars get built.

That said, the grey 5 door queuing in Hampstead High Street while I was waiting to upgrade to an iPhone 4S looked great. To anyone thinking of cancelling, don't, you will be bound to regret it.