Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Evoque SD4 Air Intake System - A Power Robber!
Jai

Evoque SD4 Air Intake System - A Power Robber!

I'm after some decent induction noise so I am all for whatever you're making. Only have to service the car once a year so it should be easy to remove it when going back to the dealer for service
09-12-2012 02:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bell-auto-services

RE: Evoque SD4 Air Intake System - A Power Robber!

cool, ill keep you postedon what i come up with.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
09-12-2012 03:12pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
magnumforc

Anyone try a K&N Filter for a quick couple of HP?
21-05-2013 06:04am
dynamicgirl

(21-05-2013 06:04am)magnumforc Wrote:  Anyone try a K&N Filter for a quick couple of HP?

To be honest I wouldn't bother fitting a K&N filter to your Evoque, Buddy. I compared the efficacy of 3 different makes of panel filters on one of my previous cars (which was more performance orientated than the Evoque). I had a digital air flow gauge in the car and it showed that there was NO increase in air flow whatsoever over using the standard paper air filter. These things are a waste of money IMO and certain 'oiled' filters can mess up your MAF sensor and end up costing you money to fix. I'll be sticking with my standard air filter, leaving me more money for better mods Very Happy. Paula xx
13-06-2013 10:11am
RRSteve

I guess as with anything, compromises are reached to give an overall consumer friendly product. I know someone who was an engineer on the Evoque project for 6 years and the amount of testing that thing went through was amazing, (I would assume mainly to try and get a working vehicle that looked like the concept car. I bet one of the main driving forces behind the Evoque was to have a more echo friendly Range Rover on the books to keep the Euro Nuts happy (hence it was badged Range Rover and not Land Rover like the concept and it has a 4 cylinder engine I guess).

Over the years I too have tried to second guess the manufacturer of cars and motorbikes by fitting exhausts, chips, air systems, you name it! Every time when I come to sell the vehicles and put them back to stock, I suddenly realise the shortfalls my tuning has made to the drivability of the vehicle! I now leave my vehicles well alone when it comes to exhausts or chip/air intake mods unless it's OEM approved! Wink
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 10:42am by RRSteve.)
13-06-2013 10:38am
dynamicgirl

(13-06-2013 10:38am)RRSteve Wrote:  Over the years I too have tried to second guess the manufacturer of cars and motorbikes by fitting exhausts, chips, air systems, you name it! Every time when I come to sell the vehicles and put them back to stock, I suddenly realise the shortfalls my tuning has made to the drivability of the vehicle! I now leave my vehicles well alone when it comes to exhausts or chip/air intake mods unless it's OEM approved! Wink

Totally agree, Steve! On my Audi S3 I had a full exhaust system with sports cat, remap, uprated fuel pump and cold air intake fitted and every time I added something performance-wise I would convince myself it made the car faster, more driveable, but in reality this wasn't the case. Shortly before taking delivery of my Evoque I had all of the performance parts removed from the S3 and to my surprise I realised that the car was much more driveable in its standard state! No doubt the top end power would have been reduced somewhat, but for normal driving the car was much more responsive, less 'laggy' and I should have just saved my money in the first place and left it well alone! Laughing.
13-06-2013 11:09am
RRSteve

We have to try these things out though I guess and learn that way as posts like ours fall on def ears unless people have tried it for themselves. Wink

At a motorbike race meet I had an interesting talk to a guy from Lazer Exhausts. He was at their stand with a full range of exhausts for sale. I had a Yamaha R1 at the time and asked about their systems for that bike. I then got onto performance. He said that basically they could never expect to match Yamaha's R&D department with their millions of pounds development budgets to get more performance across the range. Peak may increase but at a compromise lower down. I was interested in their high level exhaust purely on the looks. He explained their road system would give almost identical results to stock (no extra gain) and a better sound but a small reduction in power lower down.

I was impressed with his honesty so bought the system.

When I sold the bike I put the standard system back on and surprise surprise it pulled a lot better! Wink Didn't sound as good though!
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 11:26am by RRSteve.)
13-06-2013 11:17am
dynamicgirl

(13-06-2013 11:17am)RRSteve Wrote:  We have to try these things out though I guess and learn that way as posts like ours fall on def ears unless people have tried it for themselves. Wink

Precisely Wink
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 02:33pm by dynamicgirl.)
13-06-2013 11:23am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Actually i have to disagree on the K & N filter in some respects. I have had one on my Defender now for 4 years, it doesn't improve performance or increase power, but it has saved a fortune in buying replacement filters when i go off road on Forest tracks when there has been no rain for a while and the tracks in western Scotland put on a good imitation of driving in the Australian Outback or Namibia - instead of buying new filters a couple of times a year all I have to do is washout and dry the K&N and the next day put it back in the airbox! It rarely sees more an 1100 miles a year use so has been good value.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 02:22pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-06-2013 02:10pm
x-isle

I have a simple answer to your question...........

......You've bought the wrong car in the first place.

Craig Rogers

61 Orkney Grey (Black Pano Roof) Coupe Dynamic (Lux Pack)
07 Java Black Puma Defender 110 XS Station Wagon
20-06-2013 02:16pm