Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Difference Between Sport & Drive
Gjh0702

Hi MY 2014- 9 speed Auto on Prestige

What is the difference please between Sports Mode & 'normal' Drive
Is it just Revs for change up ? or anything else?
Many thanks

Prestige 5 door ,my 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, 20in Alloy style 7
13-10-2014 07:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive

Yes there is difference! If you use S then you should use the paddles to up/downshift otherwise upshifts will not happen until the rev limiter is reached and then it will automatically override S and shift up to save you destroying the engine..................... with the diesel the engine sounds very strained too at high revs and being a diesel, there is no point in having a screaming engine as you don't gain anything. Also if you are off road you are able to manually hold the gears in 1st/2nd /3rd as you need for engine braking or low down torque. Basically S gives you manual sequential gearshifts.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 07:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-10-2014 07:30pm
Gjh0702

(13-10-2014 07:30pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes there is difference! If you use S then you should use the paddles to up/downshift otherwise upshifts will not happen until the rev limiter is reached and then it will automatically override S and shift up to save you destroying the engine..................... with the diesel the engine sounds very strained too at high revs and being a diesel, there is no point in having a screaming engine as you don't gain anything. Also if you are off road you are able to manually hold the gears in 1st/2nd /3rd as you need for engine braking or low down torque. Basically S gives you manual sequential gearshifts.

Many thanks-very helpful

Prestige 5 door ,my 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, 20in Alloy style 7
13-10-2014 08:52pm
Stadt Panzer

I'm going to have to disagree with Tim on this one in regards to the screaming engine part. I use S when I need to be getting a move on in traffic, I don't find the engine hitting the rev limiter, it tends to change gear just before you get there, no problem for the engine at all.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 08:58pm by Stadt Panzer.)
13-10-2014 08:56pm
Doody

i'm with Stadt on this one.

i too would like to know how exactly the software differs, but i don't think it's as extreme as you lay out, Tim.

i usually stay in D unless i know i'm going to be driving aggressively for some reason, and then S isn't just nice, it's a must (MY 2012 (not 9 speed); gas/petrol, not diesel).

doody.

2012 Prestige Premium
13-10-2014 09:59pm
mighTTy-RRE

Im with SP regards engine revs, and regularly use S if I am looking to get a quick getaway into a roundabout or at a junction as I feel there is less delay on the gearbox.
14-10-2014 07:45am
Biker

D is for when you like the movie Driving Miss Daisy
S is if you liked Speed 1, 2, 3....

At least that is how I understand it.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
14-10-2014 08:25am
Stadt Panzer

(14-10-2014 08:25am)Biker Wrote:  D is for when you like the movie Driving Miss Daisy
S is if you liked Speed 1, 2, 3....

At least that is how I understand it.

Wink

Somewhere in the North Sea.
14-10-2014 08:27am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

OK,OK I haven't yet, in the 3800 miles I've put on my 9 speeder, intentionally taken the revs that high toward the limiter in S prefering to shift it up around 3000 revs.

Regrading the speed of shifts in S, yes I believe that is also how LR managed to post the SD4 0-62 times being quicker than the 6 speed manual. The old 6 speed auto was the same - very very quick changes. If you pull the paddle quickly enough it will even miss out gears on down shifts providing it won't send the revs toward the limiter.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-10-2014 08:56am
DVFlyer

To echo what others have said, I've used "S" mode a bit. Seems to hold the revs longer before shifting, but doesn't get near redline during casual acceleration and seems to shift quicker. Also holds gears longer before shifting up, which I like. e.g. coming to slow speed corner, it holds a lower gear so the car doesn't seem to lug during the turn.

I plan on keeping it in S mode for a tank or two to see how it affects the gas mileage.

2014 Zanzibar Pure Premium. Black roof, black wheels, black interior.
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 02:58pm by DVFlyer.)
14-10-2014 02:57pm