Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can anyone explain anti-stall.
Evo-king

Can anyone explain anti-stall.

I'm sure I read that the Evoque has an anti-stall feature.

Is this specific to manual models?

If so does it work up hill, as I think it is HDC managed?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
09-10-2012 10:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Can anyone explain anti-stall.

My 1996 also has it but no HDC, sorry I have no idea how it works, but it is very useful!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 10:09pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-10-2012 10:08pm
cjfp

I think that if you stall, the Eco Stop Start kicks in and restarts the engine.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-10-2012 10:12pm
Barton Evoque

Yep clutch down engine restarts.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
09-10-2012 10:18pm
Evo-king

From my recollection, it was mentioned in respect of going up a hill, where in theory you could take your foot off of the accelerator, but the car would maintain progress and therefore not stall.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
09-10-2012 10:21pm
cjfp

(09-10-2012 10:18pm)Barton Evoque Wrote:  Yep clutch down engine restarts.

Yep, missed that vital bit of info !

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-10-2012 10:22pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My Def doesn't have stop/start technology - it has no technology what so ever in it!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-10-2012 09:24am
rchrdleigh

Virtually all vehicles with Electronic Fuel Injection have some form of anti-stall. When the ECU detects a risk of stalling it increases the flow of fuel to the engine to reduce the risk of it stalling.
Anti stall is particularly useful in a manual as it allows you to move off without touching the accelerator pedal by slowly releasing the clutch. If you're doing a hill start then hold the vehicle on the foot brake, bring the clutch to the bite point, gently release the brake pedal and fully release the clutch. With hill start assist which works when HDC is switched on and on hills over 18 degrees, the brakes will be held briefly allowing you to move your foot to cover the accelerator while at the same time fully releasing the clutch.

Eco Stop/Start is not directly related to anti-stall but I agree that if you do stall then depressing the clutch will result in the engine restarting.

In a Defender anti-stall works particularly well in low range and when in low range 1st gear there is the added feature of idle jack which bumps the revs up from about 750 to 1100.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 11:04am by rchrdleigh.)
10-10-2012 11:02am
1stRangie

(09-10-2012 10:01pm)Evo-king Wrote:  I'm sure I read that the Evoque has an anti-stall feature.

Is this specific to manual models?

If so does it work up hill, as I think it is HDC managed?

If it does have 'anti-stall' then it doesn't work! I have managed to stall twice Embarrassed due to the EPB not releasing as expected! I can confirm that the engine restarts as soon as you press the clutch in, but of course I then stopped the engine by pressing the start button (I obviously didn't learn from a previous post I read)...

MY2016 Dynamic HSE four door, Yulong White and a few selected additions. Gone but never forgotten; Dynamic SD4 Coupe, Fuji White...
10-10-2012 10:25pm