Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battle of Britain Flight?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Battle of Britain Flight?

This afternoon sat on the beach at Calshott Spit, Southampton Water I was treated to a fly past by a Lancaster bomber with a Spitfire tailing it - they made an approach about 100ft up right along the waterfront, banked away and then came back from over Bursledon this time with what looked like another 3 Hurricanes or Spitfires - I don't think I have seen so any people get out of their cars and look up to te skies, and certainly not make a spontaneous cheer like they did. I believe the Bournemouth Air Show was on today, somebody said that there should also have been a fly passed by a Vulcan bomber, they are an equally amazing sight and sound - I can remember as a kid being scared witless when we went to air days at RNAS Culdrose (my father was a pilot there) and the Vulcans and Vampires would come thundering out of the skies and do low level fly pasts. Having seen Concorde taking off and landing at Bahrain for 6 months in 1976 and it came right in very low on final approach over the ship, it didn't make even half the noise that a Vulcan made!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-09-2012 04:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ant

RE: Battle of Britain Flight?

Vulcan bomber - ACE!
Spitfires and Lancasters - ACE

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
01-09-2012 05:10pm
cjfp

Saw all these last week at the Dunsfold Wings and Wheels - fantastic day out, thoroughly enjoyed all the loud noise!

It'll be very similar up the M40 next weekend !

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 05:15pm by cjfp.)
01-09-2012 05:15pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sorry to disappoint you CJ but the clatter of 22 SD4 engines cannot complete with the rumble of 24Litre Rolls Royce Merlins or the Vulcans "thunder in the skies"

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 07:02pm by XFullFatTim.)
01-09-2012 07:01pm
Kentboy

(01-09-2012 04:55pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  This afternoon sat on the beach at Calshott Spit, Southampton Water I was treated to a fly past by a Lancaster bomber with a Spitfire tailing it - they made an approach about 100ft up right along the waterfront, banked away and then came back from over Bursledon this time with what looked like another 3 Hurricanes or Spitfires - I don't think I have seen so any people get out of their cars and look up to te skies, and certainly not make a spontaneous cheer like they did. I believe the Bournemouth Air Show was on today, somebody said that there should also have been a fly passed by a Vulcan bomber, they are an equally amazing sight and sound - I can remember as a kid being scared witless when we went to air days at RNAS Culdrose (my father was a pilot there) and the Vulcans and Vampires would come thundering out of the skies and do low level fly pasts. Having seen Concorde taking off and landing at Bahrain for 6 months in 1976 and it came right in very low on final approach over the ship, it didn't make even half the noise that a Vulcan made!

May have come from Dartmouth Regatta where they were today and I was yesterday!

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
01-09-2012 08:30pm