babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Battle of Britain Flight? - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Site News & Chat (/Forum-Site-News-Chat)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (/Forum-Off-Topic)
+---- Forum: Everything Else (/Forum-Everything-Else)
+---- Thread: Battle of Britain Flight? (/Thread-Battle-of-Britain-Flight)

Battle of Britain Flight? - XFullFatTim - 01-09-2012 04:55pm

This afternoon sat on the beach at Calshott Spit, Southampton Water I was treated to a fly past by a Lancaster bomber with a Spitfire tailing it - they made an approach about 100ft up right along the waterfront, banked away and then came back from over Bursledon this time with what looked like another 3 Hurricanes or Spitfires - I don't think I have seen so any people get out of their cars and look up to te skies, and certainly not make a spontaneous cheer like they did. I believe the Bournemouth Air Show was on today, somebody said that there should also have been a fly passed by a Vulcan bomber, they are an equally amazing sight and sound - I can remember as a kid being scared witless when we went to air days at RNAS Culdrose (my father was a pilot there) and the Vulcans and Vampires would come thundering out of the skies and do low level fly pasts. Having seen Concorde taking off and landing at Bahrain for 6 months in 1976 and it came right in very low on final approach over the ship, it didn't make even half the noise that a Vulcan made!

RE: Battle of Britain Flight? - ant - 01-09-2012 05:10pm

Vulcan bomber - ACE!
Spitfires and Lancasters - ACE

RE: Battle of Britain Flight? - cjfp - 01-09-2012 05:15pm

Saw all these last week at the Dunsfold Wings and Wheels - fantastic day out, thoroughly enjoyed all the loud noise!

It'll be very similar up the M40 next weekend !

RE: Battle of Britain Flight? - XFullFatTim - 01-09-2012 07:01pm

Sorry to disappoint you CJ but the clatter of 22 SD4 engines cannot complete with the rumble of 24Litre Rolls Royce Merlins or the Vulcans "thunder in the skies"

RE: Battle of Britain Flight? - Kentboy - 01-09-2012 08:30pm

(01-09-2012 04:55pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  This afternoon sat on the beach at Calshott Spit, Southampton Water I was treated to a fly past by a Lancaster bomber with a Spitfire tailing it - they made an approach about 100ft up right along the waterfront, banked away and then came back from over Bursledon this time with what looked like another 3 Hurricanes or Spitfires - I don't think I have seen so any people get out of their cars and look up to te skies, and certainly not make a spontaneous cheer like they did. I believe the Bournemouth Air Show was on today, somebody said that there should also have been a fly passed by a Vulcan bomber, they are an equally amazing sight and sound - I can remember as a kid being scared witless when we went to air days at RNAS Culdrose (my father was a pilot there) and the Vulcans and Vampires would come thundering out of the skies and do low level fly pasts. Having seen Concorde taking off and landing at Bahrain for 6 months in 1976 and it came right in very low on final approach over the ship, it didn't make even half the noise that a Vulcan made!

May have come from Dartmouth Regatta where they were today and I was yesterday!