Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery conditioners
Claud

RE: Battery conditioners

(22-01-2013 02:38pm)tyke2 Wrote:  Hi all

Can anyone confirm if you have to unplug the conditioners before you start the engine?
I'm leaving my car with valet parking whilst I'm away for a week and they deliver it back to my hotel on return. I was wondering if I could plug it in on leaving the car and not have to worry about the valet unplugging it before they start the car.

Thanks

Tyke2
I checked my Optimate 4 instructions and surprisingly it does not mention anything about starting the car when connected to the conditioner. However my wife has started up the V8 Defender reversed out the barn with the confitoner still connected! Fortunately the lead just unsnaps with no harm to vehicle or Optimate. I doubt if any harm will come to the car or conditioner as there is no caution against doing I in my instructions.

Paul

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
22-01-2013 10:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vinda

I plugged something into my boot whilst the car was off. No power?
(08-10-2011 01:32pm)Spiderman Wrote:  No need Pete, the 12v socket in the boot is live 24/7....

Mine doesn't seem to be!??
(This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 06:08pm by vinda.)
28-01-2013 06:04pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It appears that late 2012 ad MY 2013 no longer have a live socket. The solar panel I use advises not to start the engine with the charger plugged in. It's one of Maplin's £9.99 specials

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-01-2013 03:08pm
Filski

Battery conditioners

Any suggestions then for charging via solar? Will it be a case of going under the bonnet.
30-01-2013 12:59am
speary

(30-01-2013 12:59am)Filski Wrote:  Any suggestions then for charging via solar? Will it be a case of going under the bonnet.

No, the sun dont shine under there Rolling Eyes

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
30-01-2013 09:24am
cjfp

(29-01-2013 03:08pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It appears that late 2012 ad MY 2013 no longer have a live socket. The solar panel I use advises not to start the engine with the charger plugged in. It's one of Maplin's £9.99 specials

The instructions say "You must disconnect the charger from your cigarette lighter or battery when starting your engine or driving. Electrical surges from the car engine when starting and running may damage your charger"

I read that as saying that, in some circumstances, your £9 solar charger may 'die' and not that leaving the charger plugged in will damage the car - I currently do not unplug mine and have run it so for nearly a month.

I would also have thought that this would be more of an issue on older cars and that something like the Evoque would have some protection - the flow from the charger can't be that large surely ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
30-01-2013 09:39am
Filski

Battery conditioners

Ahhh you know what I mean.
30-01-2013 09:40am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

CJ, the maplin charger had a blocking diode anyway, that is supposed to protect the panel, I suppose the warning is so you don't sue them fr damage to your car's circuits!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-01-2013 05:16pm
PhilSkill

Guys, There's a huge potential current drawn when starting an engine and this has the potential to burn out any tiny diode or other circuit if it finds that's the easiest place to draw current from. The blocking diode is to stop you trying to heat your solar panel from the battery and draining the battery rather than charging when the charge current is too low (no sun), it will give no protection from many Amps of current draw and the fact the alternator will provide higher voltage and more current also potentially over-ranging the diodes blocking capability.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-01-2013 07:36pm
cjfp

(30-01-2013 07:36pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Guys, There's a huge potential current drawn when starting an engine and this has the potential to burn out any tiny diode or other circuit if it finds that's the easiest place to draw current from. The blocking diode is to stop you trying to heat your solar panel from the battery and draining the battery rather than charging when the charge current is too low (no sun), it will give no protection from many Amps of current draw and the fact the alternator will provide higher voltage and more current also potentially over-ranging the diodes blocking capability.

But are you confirming that it would be the charger that would die and not the car? I'm happy to chance the charger, but obviously not the car.

Also, does the Evoque not cut all power to all items when starting ? It appears like it does when first starting, but it obviously doesn't during the auto stop/start cycle.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
30-01-2013 07:45pm