Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery conditioners
DaveR

RE: Battery conditioners

I have used one of these for a few years on my XKR that spent winter months sat in the garage. I have always been very pleased with it.

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/prod...rger_20120
08-10-2011 04:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Spiderman, thanks for that. Just as well my solar panel charger has enough cable to stretch from the socket in the FFRR's boot to the centre console so it will fit fine in the Evoque. BTW if anybody is looking for a solar powered conditioner for say a motorhome/boat/weekend car kept outside then Maplin has has them here for £20 http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12...rger-98358

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 04:35pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2011 04:34pm
ED209

Surely a rre should last ages without being charged without the battery going flat?

My 2002 vx220 is often not used for a month at a time and it always starts first time without any fancy devices being used.
08-10-2011 06:36pm
XFullFatTim

Modern Land Rovers of late unfortunately have had a reputation for flattening batteries if left unloved for more than a week, sometimes if it was very cold they would throw a wobbler if left overnight. 2010MY RRS and 2011MY FFRR have both been through "customer re-assurance" programmes not long after launch because of this problem - it wasn't all cars only a few but it was very annoying to owners and didn't inspire confidence in those who had not up to then experienced it. LR has since put in an inordinate amount of work to get the drain situation reined in. It was found that some elements of audio systems or Park Heat were not fully shutting down - hopefully with RRE LR has it all sussed out. There is at least one member here who came home from a holiday, arriving at the airport in the very wee small hours of a bitter night to find not one volt was left in his new FFRR's battery, they had all drained away in the 2 weeks he was on holiday in the sun. I leave my cars up to 4 months without them getting a decent drive, so far the precautions have worked for me!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 06:52pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2011 06:51pm
ED209

So now they cannot make a car that is capable of keeping battery charge? Doesnt sound good.

More ammo to sway me towards cacelling my order.
08-10-2011 07:18pm
XFullFatTim

Yes they can, it hasn't been a problem since Feb 2011 when all the cars effected were recalled to have an electronics upgrade and a new style higher capacity Gel battery was fitted. No body on the forums reported a problem after then (except when LR ran out of the new batteries!). I only use the conditioner when the car sits for such long periods, especially when it gets very very cold. Will also be fitting one to my defender this year as I think the 1996 vintage battery might not survive another cold winter.

08-10-2011 07:28pm
mark_n

Leaving aside problems with a particular design, modern cars tend to consume some power even when locked and shutdown. For example, various control units need power to retain their memory and the car stays listening for an unlock from a remote.

I have a Mercedes which has two batteries, the second being kept just to get the car started with zero static drain. Porsche address it by shutting down remote unlocking after 5 days.

Keep in mind too that lead acid batteries self-discharge a couple of per cent each week, so a car left over winter will have a flattish battery even if no demands are made of it.

It's vital that the static drain is kept as low as possible after the car is locked.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
08-10-2011 07:55pm
Claud

I will plug our Evoque into a charger if it is to be left for any period of time without being driven. I have four conditioners at present. The only car we do not plug in is the FL2 as it has a low battery drain when locked and is daily driver for us, it has been rock solid reliable.

The FFRR has had a flat battery several times, prior to using the conditioner, with many low power related electronic faults. Since it has been plugged in, when left for more than a day, I have had no battery or starting issues.

The top conditioners do charge/discharge/desulphate cycle, keeping the battery in tip top condition, great for any vehicle regardless of usage and starting ability.

I have three of these and they are great with a low power consumption:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OptiMate-4-Batt...560&sr=8-1

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
08-10-2011 09:30pm
doug

The Discovery I used to have would go flat in no time. It would sit there all week & would start fine at the weekend, but if I left the boot open for more than 10mins the car wouldn't start. When I asked my local LR dealer, was told this is normal!. As when the car is locked it takes 40mins for the car to power down. After useing a automatic trickle charger (8amp). The battery was always tip top for the weekends use.
My Evoque will be plugged in to this over the week. Never again calling the RAC from a picnic site miles from any where.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
08-10-2011 10:02pm
tyke2

Hi all

Can anyone confirm if you have to unplug the conditioners before you start the engine?
I'm leaving my car with valet parking whilst I'm away for a week and they deliver it back to my hotel on return. I was wondering if I could plug it in on leaving the car and not have to worry about the valet unplugging it before they start the car.

Thanks

Vw Campervan Hire - http://www.happydayscampers.co.uk
22-01-2013 02:38pm