Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Autobiography EVOQUE
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Autobiography EVOQUE

I don't have access to the write-ups from where i am at the moment but one thing that would interest me would be if they mention anywhere that for around £10k less you can have a Mr Blobby version of the Macan with exactly the same engine but a slightly different ECU made by the same group as owns Porsche and it's called the Audi SQ5. Anyway they are all really VW's at heart!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 09:52am by XFullFatTim.)
23-02-2014 09:50am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

That wasn't a fair comparison test, crappy journo.

Porsche haven't given the Macan the SQ5 engine which is a simply brutal bi-Turbo 308bhp/650nm animal.... the Macan gets the single turbo 250bhp engine.

For the record my SQ5 is 10 months old now, 14,000 faultless and wickedly fun miles had, averaging 36-38mpg and no visits to the dealer since I picked it up.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
26-02-2014 12:54pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Good to hear you are still having fun with the SQ5 Straydox - good to hear it also hasn't suffered any issues

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-02-2014 03:12pm
LIONHEAD

Here's the vid if anyone is interested:

I'm sure the Macan will out perform in a straight line and in the twisties but I think the Evoque still looks better.

[quote='mark_n' pid='96458' dateline='1392806729']
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 09:54pm by LIONHEAD.)
26-02-2014 09:48pm
tarbat

I don't really understand this comparison with the Macan. I have a Pure Tech on order, with extras such as the Pure Style pack, glass roof, etc., costing £37,750 which includes the 5-year service package.

Now, if I spec a Macan to the same level, I have to add metallic paint, 19" wheel, glass roof, comfort seats, etc... which brings the total cost to £47,986. Add on the cost of 5-years of servicing a Porsche, and the cost is no comparison.

Funnily enough, the reason I've ordered an Evoque is because I looked at buying a Macan!! My son was up over Christmas in his Porsche Cayman, and that got me looking at the Macan. I just didn't like the looks and the cost of ownership.

MY14 SD4 Pure Tech Auto/Coupe/Zanzibar/Pure Style Pack/Panoramic Roof/Power Tailgate
27-02-2014 11:02am
miha.m

EVOQUE Looks much better on the outside,... but inside,... Macan is pretty impressive,... However, I like many, many buttons/dilas/switches,... so I am a bit biased Wink

Evoque TD4 Prestige (Barolo black, Couture interior)
MINI Cooper S "John Cooper Works" tuning (2004)
Harley Davidson Rocker C - FXCW/C (2009)
27-02-2014 08:53pm
m_101

I agree tarbat. I would like to test drive one in theory but I just don't actually like the looks of the car from the front end. Also like-for-like it seems like the macan is at least 10k more expensive than the Evoque.
I much prefer the evoque and I have to say that that camera in the grille is going to get dirty so easily and need cleaning all the time. Dynamic ability doesn't mean that much in a 4x4, it's more about ride quality in my opinion. I'm thinking that if the wife ever wants to steal me evoque I'm getting a used jag F-type coupe!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
27-02-2014 08:58pm
speary

I know it's difficult for car mags to match up different vehicles for road tests but is the Evoque in the same size bracket as the Macan, Q5, X3. I am pretty sure that it is more compact and probably fits better in the Q3, X1 range.
As for comparing 4cyl cars against 6cyl cars, there shouldn't be a problem providing the outputs are similar. In the case of the Evoque and the Macan they are miles apart
Likewise on price, there is too much difference
So, is the comparison to a car that is bigger, more powerful and more expensive fair or representative?
NO!!!

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
28-02-2014 09:31am
shortnick

Agreed that the Evoque and Macan comparison in Autocar is not a fair one. One of the main reasons I bought the Evoque is for its 4x4 abilities. Take any Porsche, Audi, VW, BMW, etc off-road and they always come second best to LR and RR. As for the interior of the Macan - what a dog's dinner! Buttons and switches everywhere. Horrible looking car both inside and out. Epic fail by Autocar imho.
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 09:55am by shortnick.)
28-02-2014 09:55am
HeartbreakRidge

(28-02-2014 09:31am)speary Wrote:  I know it's difficult for car mags to match up different vehicles for road tests but is the Evoque in the same size bracket as the Macan, Q5, X3. I am pretty sure that it is more compact and probably fits better in the Q3, X1 range.

Oh, I don't know, most reviewers do seem to cross-shop it with the Q5 and X3, and at least for me, my runners up for my money were the X3 and a GLK250.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
28-02-2014 03:16pm