Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Autobiography EVOQUE
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Autobiography EVOQUE

I wonder if the reason for canning the RS isn't the Macan but the new Jaguar SUV? Maybe the two vehicles were likely to be a bit too close in performance/ capablities for JLR to have two family members competing against each other in a very small niche market........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-02-2014 11:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

Yes, Jaguar are producing some pretty hot cars these days and it may be they see the Jaguar SUV as the natural competitor to the Macan and don't want it and a hot RR to occupy the same space.

There might have been technical as well as marketing reasons as well of course.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-02-2014 06:49am
XFullFatTim

Phoenix Orange sounds rather like they have a few cans of Tangiers Orange from the G4 cars left over in the shed at the bottom of the Jungle Track in solihull and want to use them up before they are time expired..........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-02-2014 11:38am
mark_n

This week's Autocar has a comparative test between the Evoque and Macan and declares the Macan the clear winner, though how they can compare the two when the least expensive Macan is more expensive than the most expensive Evoque, I do not know.

It won't make pleasant reading for LR though, especially as 4 cylinder versions of the car are planned which will compete face to face with the Evoque. All good, because LR's only sensible reaction is to produce better cars which offer improved performance, improved build and improved value.

Mark

19-02-2014 11:45am
recordman

(19-02-2014 11:38am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Phoenix Orange sounds rather like they have a few cans of Tangiers Orange from the G4 cars left over in the shed at the bottom of the Jungle Track in solihull and want to use them up before they are time expired..........

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. Presumably the Phoenix Orange is metallic though? It's not clear from the Autocar pictures.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
19-02-2014 12:02pm
mark_n

The RRS was launched with a similar orange called Chilli though if anything, this looks more extreme. It would be a brave person who bought it, orange might work for McLarens but not Evoques.

I do worry the Evoque is becoming more style than substance.

Mark

19-02-2014 12:09pm
XFullFatTim

Back in 2005 when RRS Mk1 was launched LR had a run of "First Edition" cars that were available in one of three colours - Silver, metallic Black or Vesuvius Orange. Vesuvius was one of those scintachrome paints that change colour as the sun shone on it or not............ in the UK most looked a horrid mud/ brown shade until the sun shone and then they changed a a wonderful deep metallic orange. Unfortunately they looked brown most of the time but despite that you still couldn't buy one for love nor money - 300 worldwide Vesuvius coloured cars sold out extremely quickly even though they were the 4.2V8 S/C! I didn't think Chilli looked bad, it is much better in the flesh than in photos though.

(This post was last modified: 19-02-2014 03:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-02-2014 03:39pm
buckiebabyrr

Typical new model coming out just as you buy a new one, no mention of release date

Car history so far......
2005 Vauxhall corsa sxi
2007 Vauxhall corsa vxr
2008 Vauxhall astra nurbergring vxr
2013 Ford focus st3
2014 Cool - MY2014 9 speed auto,Si4 engine,Dynamic,Fuji white,Santorini roof,Black design pack,Heated steering wheel,Lunar/ivory interior,Privacy glass
21-02-2014 09:14pm
Evo-king

(19-02-2014 11:45am)mark_n Wrote:  This week's Autocar has a comparative test between the Evoque and Macan and declares the Macan the clear winner, though how they can compare the two when the least expensive Macan is more expensive than the most expensive Evoque, I do not know.

It won't make pleasant reading for LR though, especially as 4 cylinder versions of the car are planned which will compete face to face with the Evoque. All good, because LR's only sensible reaction is to produce better cars which offer improved performance, improved build and improved value.

Both Autocar and AutoExpress have run these comparisons, but, the Macan was fitted with a 3.0 V6 diesel whereas, the Evoques were Td4 and Sd4, I'm Td4 was a typo. Not a similar or fair comparison IMO.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
22-02-2014 06:10pm
mark_n

(22-02-2014 06:10pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Both Autocar and AutoExpress have run these comparisons, but, the Macan was fitted with a 3.0 V6 diesel whereas, the Evoques were Td4 and Sd4, I'm Td4 was a typo. Not a similar or fair comparison IMO.

Yes I do agree and Steve Sutcliffe is always on to make a headline catching comment. This issue really is that there isn't a better Evoque engine to level the playing field. Aside from the SD4, the cupboard is bare, and Land Rover lags badly in engine technology.

There is also an issue over pricing. The headline Macan price might be attractive but it's poverty spec and this is another aspect which Steve, who clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the box, conveniently overlooks. So, it's an interesting comparison but as a piece of objective journalism, it sucks.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 10:59am by mark_n.)
23-02-2014 08:09am