Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone tried using the jack?
Donny Dog

RE: Anyone tried using the jack?

(16-05-2012 04:01pm)fam1x Wrote:  Why would you need to use a jack on a new car? Are you working under the car already? Is it just me or aren't there garages you can take the car too? Don't think mine even came with a Jack Wink

Good question - I don't, but now is the time to find out how, in case I ever do need it.

Strangely enough, mine didn't come with a jack either (nor a spare wheel) but my dealer supplied me on free, and it arrived yesterday. I have, in the meantime, purchased a spare set of wheels/tyres, so will need to use it one day.
16-05-2012 04:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I still have an old toyota scissor jack thats amazing quality sadly wont go high enough, LR jack is a bit tin foil quality in comparison especially given the height and weight its lifting, guess the jack is just extra weight you spend most of the time lugging around and never using. Jack only comes with the spare wheel option. I too have a second set of wheels hence needing a jack! When I asked for a jack Dealer told me to go to Halfords... guess he knew what quality LR jack was like Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-05-2012 11:11pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

A jack is very useful if you don't want to take your car to a tyre shop every time you want to change sets of wheels and tyres, I have a farm jack for lifting my Defender (aka a HiLift Rachet jack) which works brilliantly off the tarred road. I intend to get a proper hydraulic jack for changing The Evoques summer dancing shoes to it's winter Wellies to save me having to hitch up a trailer with 4 wheels and drive 20 miles to the nearest tyre place.

BTW somebody has mentioned using the jack for working under the car............. This is incredibly foolish, never rely on any jack alone to support a car while you are under it, use axle stands or get a proper vehicle lift.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2012 08:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-05-2012 08:13pm
Barneyridge

(19-05-2012 08:13pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  BTW somebody has mentioned using the jack for working under the car............. This is incredibly foolish, never rely on any jack alone to support a car while you are under it, use axle stands or get a proper vehicle lift.

+1 Tim, it is too easy to have a car sitting on you head which is not good for anyone's health. I found the jack pretty much the same as most standrd issue jacks, good enough to change the wheel on th side of the road.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
20-05-2012 08:59am
Donny Dog

(20-05-2012 08:59am)Barneyridge Wrote:  +1 Tim, it is too easy to have a car sitting on you head which is not good for anyone's health. I found the jack pretty much the same as most standrd issue jacks, good enough to change the wheel on th side of the road.

Have you had the opportunity to use it? If so, did you just 'joggle' the rod attachment around to raise/lower the jack (which is quite awkward and slow, but the only obvious way to use it in the absence of any crank) or did you make sense of the instructions, which state that you should attach the wheel brace to that handle, presumably to add leverage (although I can't see how).
20-05-2012 09:06am
J77

^ the wheel brace rests horizontally in the hook shape part and use booth hands to turn, it's hard to put into words what I mean without having a jack to take pictures. It's awkward and only really works once you get the car up a bit. Not the best piece of equipment it's crude but does the job in an emergency only, wouldn't trust it for much more than a straight forward wheel change.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 12:52pm by J77.)
20-05-2012 12:49pm
Donny Dog

(20-05-2012 12:49pm)J77 Wrote:  ^ the wheel brace rests horizontally in the hook shape part and use booth hands to turn, it's hard to put into words what I mean without having a jack to take pictures. It's awkward and only really works once you get the car up a bit. Not the best piece of equipment it's crude but does the job in an emergency only, wouldn't trust it for much more than a straight forward wheel change.

Thanks very much. As you say, it's not very sophisticated! Why didn't they just have a crank in the middle of the handle part - it would only be a few extra bends in the rod.
20-05-2012 01:23pm
Griff449

Resurrecting this discussion - tried to lift the Evoque today using my Halfords trusty 2 Ton trolley jack so I could take a wheel off. It reached its maximum height and the frigging wheel was still on the grounds Sad had to give up grrrrrrrrr

Need a way of lifting each wheel to do some work but I ain't trusting the supplied one so need an alternative. Can't tip up at a garage and borrow there hydraulic lift for a couple of hours lol

Any ideas on the way forward ?

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
09-09-2012 08:52pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply