Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Accelerator sticking open!
Mattyw

The accelerator is sticking open on my ed4 Pure manual.
Or more likely the cruise control is kicking in and taking over without being selected and without showing it's engaged on the dash.
Quite disconcerting!
Thought I'd noticed it soon after delivery and confirmed it today: select a gear, say second or third, and car starts pulling away when foot off accelerator (and clutch). Happens on various gears, car definitely increases speed then maintains it without touching accelerator.
Cruise control definitely not selected accidentally. Cruise not showing on dash. Can't cancel via cruise cancel on steering wheel.
Happens going uphill, with speed climbing then holding at exact speed.
Cancels easily by touching brake, and problem intermittent.
Software issue maybe or have I missed something?
Seems a pretty profound "fault" if it is one....

Pure 5 door ed4 Santorini black, ebony headline, tech + pure style pack, privacy glass, pano roof, park assist, rear camera, auto dim mirror, roof and cross rails, 19" sparkle
19-07-2012 05:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Accelerator sticking open!

Hi Mattyw, This doesn't sound right or safe and you should probably go back to the dealer, can you reproduce it at will or is it just occasionally or all the time? is it idling normally less than 1000rpm when in Neutral? When you say cancels by the brake, does it then stop doing it and is fine again for a while?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-07-2012 05:55pm
Mattyw

Thanks Phil. Yes I am quite disconcerted by it.
Can't reproduce it at will, no sequence as yet seems to lead to it, but on today's drive it was happening relatively regularly.
Otherwise engine seems fine. Idling fine, under 1000 rpm.
Everything generally loosening up as we get near first 1000 miles.

And yes brake cancels, so a touch on the brake and the car then stops pulling by itself, and will slow in speed if now coasting on flat or incline.

Pure 5 door ed4 Santorini black, ebony headline, tech + pure style pack, privacy glass, pano roof, park assist, rear camera, auto dim mirror, roof and cross rails, 19" sparkle
(This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 06:04pm by Mattyw.)
19-07-2012 06:01pm
speary

Landrovers have anti stall which automatically applies throttle to stop stalling. In the evoque if you take your foot off the accelerator while in gear and the clutch engaged the car will maintain the following speeds. 1st = 4mph 2nd = 9 mph 3rd =15 mph. Not tried it in a higher gear as it gets a bit grumbly. The car will maintain these speeds even if going up hill. This isn't unusual in modern cars. My Audi A5 also did it. Having said that if yours is racing away with you it might need looking at

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
19-07-2012 07:18pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Are you using any form of after market foot well mats in the drivers footwell? This was a issue 2 years ago with 2010MY Disco4 and RRS - the foot mats given for free by some dealers instead of genuine LR mats were found to cause the gas pedal to stick open

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 07:44pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-07-2012 07:42pm
Mattyw

Hi Tim
No- only have LR mats fitted as per on delivery, and they are secured by the small holes and clips.
Have been trying to follow up Speary's suggestion that Evoque's have anti stall that maintains speed in certain gears, but can't find any reference in manual or online (only ref I can find is to Defenders).
Can anyone confirm if Evoques have this feature and their cars do similar ie maintain speed without depressing accelerator? (without cruise control selected)

(This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 08:06pm by Mattyw.)
19-07-2012 08:05pm
paul_s

Yes my car does exactly the same
19-07-2012 09:13pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well antistall used to be fitted to all Land Rovers but with modern electronics I'm not sure it is still fitted. I think you need to get it into a service bay PDQ to get it investigated as you could be putting yourself in a situation insurance wise in the event of an accident.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-07-2012 09:15pm
PhilSkill

(19-07-2012 06:01pm)Mattyw Wrote:  Thanks Phil. Yes I am quite disconcerted by it.
Can't reproduce it at will, no sequence as yet seems to lead to it, but on today's drive it was happening relatively regularly.
Otherwise engine seems fine. Idling fine, under 1000 rpm.
Everything generally loosening up as we get near first 1000 miles.

And yes brake cancels, so a touch on the brake and the car then stops pulling by itself, and will slow in speed if now coasting on flat or incline.

It should not accelerate on it's own unless under cruise which is clearly on the dash when enabled. It will roll along while on idle and on the flat but not uphill, it certainly does sound like cruise is being enabled incorrectly. I think you should take it back to the dealer and try to show them it happening and stress it's a safety issue, they must take this seriously as it's something that may lead to a recall if a design fault. It's probably worth getting in contact with Nick at customer services and ensure they know also. You can send a PM on here, the forum is looked at.

It may be a simple sensor fault but needs to be understood and at least fixed for you.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 11:08pm by PhilSkill.)
19-07-2012 10:08pm
Barneyridge

Agree with all the posts and I would be back at the dealers ASAP. It seems a pretty serious safety issue for you and also other road users. With my previous Subaru, there was a recall because of the same issue, but it was traced backed to the car mats

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
19-07-2012 10:15pm