Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ABS issue
DollaR

ABS issue

Hello

Some members of our local Evoque club in Russia have faced an issue with proper work of ABS system in slippery road conditions. Try to explain what I mean. If you press the brake pedal on an icy road, the vehicle doesn't try to slow down at all. I realise that the ABS system is preventing the wheels from locking up and therefore avoiding skidding, but the car doesn't even make an attempt to stop and move forward with the same speed. Sometimes it can be very dangerous and consequences are practically not predictable.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem?

Pure 5D TD4@228hp Auto, Barolo Black, Almond/Espresso - https://picasaweb.google.com/10840339554...directlink
21-02-2012 10:01am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: ABS issue

Normally when ABS cuts in you feel a pulsing in the pedal, It can be quite disconcerting as it can seem as if the car is releasing the brakes when you're trying to brake, but it wont engage until a wheel has stopped so you will always feel an initial braking effect before it cuts in, although if all 4 wheels are on ice maybe they simply lock immediately, but you should still feel the pulsing or even hear the actuator. Either way if ABS can't help stop you, unlikely you will on your own. Although ABS is designed to allow you to steer as well as brake.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
21-02-2012 10:13am
RacingSnake

My gut feel says it is going to be difficult to slow down any 2ton vehicle on ice, and abs will give the feel of reduced braking...

Is this a 'real' issue or a perception issue?
Can you feel the abs working through the pedal?
How does a similar sized vehicle perform side by side in exactly the same conditions?

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
21-02-2012 10:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andrey1302

Didnt find any issues here.... Even did a driving course on the all season and part of it was braking on ice, and Evoque managed absolutely fine

Fuji 3 dr Pure SD4
[Image: 124851.png]
21-02-2012 11:17am
DollaR

It is likely to be a perception issue.
Of course the behavior of 2ton vehicle on ice must be different. We just try to understand if it is a real problem or a coincidence.
Although at least 3 owners in my country have noticed strange bahavior of the vehicle on an icy road. I will ask them about more details and what they felt.
Unfortunatly I can't check it for the time being because I will take my evoque from the dealer only on Thursday.

Thanks for your replays.

Pure 5D TD4@228hp Auto, Barolo Black, Almond/Espresso - https://picasaweb.google.com/10840339554...directlink
21-02-2012 12:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I remember years ago when Audi introduced the Quattro Coupe it had switchable TC/DSC and ABS as their opinion was that in snow and on ice ABS should be switched off to assist with building a wedge of snow. loose ice in front of the tyres to assist with stopping, ABS in operation, in their opinion , prevented this

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-02-2012 01:45pm
Meneldor

Check the video of my Evoque demonstrating how ABS almost doesn't help:

I'm not a driving pro, but come on - from 70 km/h to 40 in 7 seconds? It takes 8.5 from 0 to 100 - and the same back to 0?

From my experience, it's much safer on a slippery surface to release the brake pedal and start pushing it little by little instead of trusting ABS.

RRE Coupe Prestige Auto SD4 w/ Adaptive Dynamics, Buckingham Blue w/ Panoramic, Element w/ Grey Oak, 20" Sparkle Silver Style 6, Dynamic & Prestige Tech Pack, 825w Audio, Dual-View, Blind Spot Monitoring, High Beam Assist
22-02-2012 10:03am