Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Xenon Headlights
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Xenon Headlights

All Range Rover Sports had the USA Orange reflectors in Europe, they just didn't have the lamp in the holder, so you can remove the lamp if you like.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-10-2012 09:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mildfeverz

(20-10-2012 08:30am)Bjorntje_be Wrote:  olhemes, check if it is legal to have the orange part of the DRL (USA SPEC) always lit. That could be a problem in Europe.

Yes, that may pose a problem or legal issue, however . . . the LED's are actually clear white light with the amber colored lens for the USA spec requirement. If the LED's were transplanted to a EU spec halogen headlight, there would be no need to retain the amber lens, thereby meeting the required vehicular laws. And if these USA headlights were to be re-used in the EU, one would have to disable that or those LED's that illuminate the amber lens or remove the same[amber lens] on both.

Mfz IdeaQuestionIdea
20-10-2012 09:37am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Do your modified Signature DRL's "dip" when you operate the direction indicators as they are required to here in Europe? I don't know if the DRL LEDs do on Halogen lamp units.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 20-10-2012 09:43am by XFullFatTim.)
20-10-2012 09:42am
mildfeverz

(20-10-2012 09:42am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Do your modified Signature DRL's "dip" when you operate the direction indicators as they are required to here in Europe? I don't know if the DRL LEDs do on Halogen lamp units.

The DRL's on these OEM Evoque units are quite dim compared to those DRL's on the Mercedes, Audi and others. The "dip" or further dimming upon signaling does NOT happen on my mod. as I prefer. USA law does not have this requirement for me to be concerned of. The signal bulb is amber colored and upon illumination is much brighter than the DRL's more faint glow. In fact I was thinking of a way I could amplfy the voltage to the DRL's as they are hardly visible in the day light compared to the Mercedes here in the USA.

Mfz ArrowArrowArrow
20-10-2012 10:05am
Bjorntje_be

(20-10-2012 09:42am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Do your modified Signature DRL's "dip" when you operate the direction indicators as they are required to here in Europe? I don't know if the DRL LEDs do on Halogen lamp units.

DRL leds on halogen lamp units do dim. and the DRL here is so bright, that I sometimes think my headlights are turned on.

ED4 5dr Pure Fuji white with tech pack/fog lights/privacy glass/tow bar ; order 24/02 / expected summer 2012 / delivered 18 sept 2012
22-10-2012 09:56pm
mildfeverz

(22-10-2012 09:56pm)Bjorntje_be Wrote:  DRL leds on halogen lamp units do dim. and the DRL here is so bright, that I sometimes think my headlights are turned on.

Bjorntje:

Hmmm . . . that is interesting . . . I have the EU spec Xenon's with the DRL's and per my pics, mine are [to my way of thinking] NOT that bright [in day time daylight]. In evening [twilight] they do show up better, but much weaker than late Porsches, Audis, C, E, S Class Mercedes' here in California. The DRL's of these cars are almost as bright as Evoque's fog lights. No dimming upon signaling appears to occur of the DRL's. In fact NO USA vehicles[to the best of my knowledge] with DRL's dim as you describe, unless it is so subtle that is NOT noticed. This feature is apparently a requirement in your region. I will research if this is the case and in what region is law. I also need to check DRL output Lumen rating [if there are any differences worldwide] and if there is, I will retrofit the brightest ones I can get a hold of. I'll also have to compare, my EU DRL"s, side by side, with the USA Xenon/DRL's I have for any differences. I also do notice on R.R.Evoque USA sales brochures that the signature LED's emitting are photographed in "low" ambient light NOT full day light.

Thanks for your input and what city/country are you from, please?
Thanks,
Mfz IdeaExclamationIdea
23-10-2012 03:49am
hot69err

MFZ

Could you write or email me the process of changing your halogens to LED's
and if is it possible to stick LED stripes on the halogen headlights and where would we get a match for the LED stripe, the market is all full of the KIA type.

Nayef
23-10-2012 05:20am
Olhemes

(20-10-2012 09:37am)mildfeverz Wrote:  Yes, that may pose a problem or legal issue, however . . . the LED's are actually clear white light with the amber colored lens for the USA spec requirement. If the LED's were transplanted to a EU spec halogen headlight, there would be no need to retain the amber lens, thereby meeting the required vehicular laws. And if these USA headlights were to be re-used in the EU, one would have to disable that or those LED's that illuminate the amber lens or remove the same[amber lens] on both.

Mfz IdeaQuestionIdea

Yes, in spain is a problem with the ITV. Is possible the orange leds are not functional? Or function with the flashers direction light. Is possible to deactivate the orange line?
24-10-2012 10:52am
Olhemes

(20-10-2012 10:05am)mildfeverz Wrote:  The DRL's on these OEM Evoque units are quite dim compared to those DRL's on the Mercedes, Audi and others. The "dip" or further dimming upon signaling does NOT happen on my mod. as I prefer. USA law does not have this requirement for me to be concerned of. The signal bulb is amber colored and upon illumination is much brighter than the DRL's more faint glow. In fact I was thinking of a way I could amplfy the voltage to the DRL's as they are hardly visible in the day light compared to the Mercedes here in the USA.

Mfz ArrowArrowArrow

Although I see many bmw series 5 and some volvos that if they have the orange light of the headlamps, the problem is to use my headlight to get my new halogen headlight with the firm leds. If you sell the headlight with the halogen focus inside and with a built-in connectors to make plug and play, I would be interested. I can always switch back the headlight that I have when i got to pass inspection.
29-10-2012 09:48am
mildfeverz

(29-10-2012 09:48am)Olhemes Wrote:  Although I see many bmw series 5 and some volvos that if they have the orange light of the headlamps, the problem is to use my headlight to get my new halogen headlight with the firm leds. If you sell the headlight with the halogen focus inside and with a built-in connectors to make plug and play, I would be interested. I can always switch back the headlight that I have when i got to pass inspection.

I cannot do any mod or design a "plug and play" circuitry for you. These are being sold "as-is" with NO guarantee. Any modification will be of your own recourse.

Mfz Sad
29-10-2012 03:30pm