Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter tyres
Evoqess

RE: Winter tyres

Thanks guys - I'll try to find some used FL2 wheels for winter!

Hubris, I'm looking forward to you posting your "Evoque on a frozen lake" pictures!

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
18-09-2011 06:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hybris

Yes if I get a confirmed delivery date Nov/Dec. I was told November but if it slips I will cancel as I was very clear to my dealer that a post December delivery is a no-go. Wink If that occurs I will need to post BMW X-drive on the frozen lake. Wink I will keep my X5 and buy the new X6 LCI Performance in spring. 4.0d or 5.0d. Wink I do look forward to downsize to the Evoque so hope they keep the delivery time. Own two BMW today and love the brand. But when I saw the Evoque it was the first time I would consider something else... Wink

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
18-09-2011 07:43pm
PJ

Hi thanks for all the replies but i still not sure whether its going to be ok continually swapping the one set of m&s tyres for the one set of winters each change of season on my 20" wheels (until either set is done)?
18-09-2011 10:39pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

PJ, if you have room for storing 4 spare wheels and tyres then a complete spare set is the way to go as you will not be changing the tyres on each wheel twice a year, reducing the chances of damage to the rims. Some tyre places now offer wheel and tyre storage so even if you don't have space to store 4 wheels and tyres you can pay them to keep them in the dark and dry when not in use. Using their storage also means you don't have the hassle of transporting 4 wheels and tyres to the depot for fitting. Getting them around wasn't a problem for me in the FFRR and RRS, but I doubt I'll get 4 x 20" wheels with tyres in the back of the Evoque and will have to trailer them to and from the tyre place to get the wheels changed over.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-09-2011 02:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-09-2011 09:59am
XFullFatTim

For those thinking of buying Ice and Snow tyres here is what I was quoted this morning:-
4 x Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres in 235/55R19 with H speed rating and 105 Weight rating (the Contis on mine are V rated and 103 weight rating) - list price £1112 fitted to my spare rims, then discounted to £865 fitted, I supply the TPMS valve stems. The Continentals were listed in their system at £1 a tyre less. The local dealers can supply them tomorrow from their warehouse too so no supply isn't a problem yet.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-09-2011 02:24pm
hybris

I would advice to go for no 19" or lower for winter tyres. 20" is usually to harsh to have on winter tires and not optimal for grip in the winter. In Sweden people usually go down 1-2" on their winter tyres. It do save some cost and a better ride in winter. Myself considering a set of 19" with spikes as my winter tyres. Probably aftermarket as the prices are usually way lower than for brand rims. Already seen that there are many third-party rims to the Evoque. In Sweden its law to have real winter tyres when its winter conditions or during Nov-Mar. Meaning if its winter conditions before Nov or after March you still need to have winter tyres or you get a fine. But all smart people don't need to be told as its dangerous not to. Its so funny when we hear of "snow chaos" in the US. People have moister SUVs and cannot drive in snow. Guess why? No winter tyres and unexperienced drivers. Wink

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
19-09-2011 05:07pm
XFullFatTim

It isn't a requirement here to have winter tyres, but so many people got stuck last winter that many are considering them even on small FWD cars for this winter. We get a few very cold days every winter, but rarely get as much snow as we had last winter.

19-09-2011 05:13pm
paulelescoces

Hi all, on the topic of winter tyres, what brand/model are people going for? I have been looking this far for 245/45/20 and it doesn't seem to bring too many options... in fact I only find the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. Might be a good option but interested to know if there are others/better?
19-09-2011 05:16pm
XFullFatTim

That was my experience too, Michelin (latitude range) and Continental (cross contacts, like the OEM summer tyre fitted to the 20" wheels) also make Snow and Ice tyres but you have to go down to 19"

(This post was last modified: 19-09-2011 05:19pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-09-2011 05:19pm
hybris

There are usually much harder to find winter rubber for 20". Go down to 19" and you will find much more in general. One option is to go for 19" Ranger Rover original and fit them with winter tyres. Assume you can opt for winter rubber or? Then buy a nice pair of 20" in spring/summer. Sure there will be even more options when more Evoques are on the streets. Maybe even dare to go for 21" or 22" for summer. (sounds harsh drive but hey the looks...) Wink

19-09-2011 10:25pm