Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter tyres
PJ

RE: Winter tyres

I've decided to go for the winters but my worry was moving the winter/m&s tyres on and off the same rims a couple of times. Will this damage the tyres if I do so (assuming the garage is careful)?
16-09-2011 09:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gorjan

(16-09-2011 08:10pm)defender_uk Wrote:  The vid is an X5...it won't happen to us....and the snow programme on the terrain setting is an excellent bit of kit. We will have a problem if the snow is over the wheel height, but then any vehicle will, except Defender with four chains fitted....!

Why does it matter if it is X5? I think BMW X-drive is great on snow. All the wheels are spinning, but they have no traction, so obviosly he doesn't have proper winter tyres.

I agree with Evoqes, why compromise on safety, when spending such amount of money on a car anyway?

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 11:29am by Gorjan.)
17-09-2011 11:26am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Just bought a set of "used" Style 3's off the BAY from an LR dealer for just this purpose and maybe to fit some ATR's to for the summer!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-09-2011 03:11pm
Evoqess

Mr Tim,
Would you know if any used wheels from other LR models (like Freelander) would fit the Evoque? I'm weighing options for winter tires?

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 08:27pm by Evoqess.)
17-09-2011 08:26pm
Jonathon555

(17-09-2011 08:26pm)Evoqess Wrote:  Mr Tim,
Would you know if any used wheels from other LR models (like Freelander) would fit the Evoque? I'm weighing options for winter tires?

FL2 should fit ok

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
17-09-2011 09:01pm
Gorjan

Be aware thst M+S tyres are nit really winter tyres and actaully quite not appropriste on snow:

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/18147.html

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
18-09-2011 02:55pm
XFullFatTim

Evoquess, Jonathon is right, Evoque has Freelander 2 hubs so, in theory wheels from f2 will fit, and as Evoque is lighter than F2 the weight rating will be OK for F2 wheels too.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-09-2011 03:04pm
defender_uk

will wheels from the L322 fit??

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
18-09-2011 04:43pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

No, they share hubs with D4 and RRS. I'ver just sold 12 wheels and tyres used on my previous car because they wouldn't fit. I sold the wheels and tyres as I wasn't sure if the wheels/ tyre would fit in the arches.

18-09-2011 05:02pm
hybris

What a funny thread. I live in Sweden and winter tires is a must. Summer tires are terrible in cold conditions. The rubber get hard like stone and it takes way longer to brake a car. The people saying you don't either never have snow or temperature below zero or have no clue... In a panic situation winter tires can be life or death. Shorter braking and much better grip. Same applies to Land Rover or any car with any electronics!

I currently drive a BMW X5 (newest model) with Nokkian Hakka SUV with spikes in the winter. Its truly the king of the road when its snow storm and icy conditions. Just put the pedal down in almost any conditions. No "snow" button will help you when your tyres are hard as stone and you need to break hard. Believe me I have driven all life in very harsh winter conditions. Audi, Volvo, BMW, Ranger rover...

BTW. The thread was about what winter tires to buy. Not some silly discussion that you don't need them.

BTW. If you drive summer tires in the winter you put a lot of tear on them. Same thing if driving on winter tires in the summer. Over 15 celsius they get worn much much more. The all around tires are bad in all conditions. The choose is yours... I will buy winter tires and probably with spikes to the Evoque. Braking and acceleration on ice is brilliant with them. And there are frozen lakes in Sweden where they plow up tracks. Super fun to drive with a 4*4 with spikes...

Order of Evoque Dynamic cancelled due to delays and no information on delivery date. Wish you all the best of luck and hope you will receive your cars soon. Its a lovely car! Many thanks for all great answers and feedback on this forum! Take care! Cheers! /Hybris
18-09-2011 06:14pm