Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter Tyres for the Evoque
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Winter Tyres for the Evoque

You can have exactly the same size as I was told yesterday (and confirmed on the Pirelli website) that the 245x45R20's that the Evoque Dynamic comes with are available in Ice and Snow, Mud & Snow, and Assymetricos (90% on road, 10% off or something like that) treads. As BFG says above a narrower tyre gives even better performance in snow. I ran my RRS on its 20"summer tyres in the winter of 2009 and was in the Basingstoke area on the day it got cut off from humanity, I had no problems on them using the GGS setting of the TR, in fact I drove 450 miles the next day all the way to Scotalnd on the same tyres and all that stopped me were roads blocked by 2WD cars on summer tyres and jackknifed trucks on the M74. I drove all the way from Gretna to Stirling through between 5 and 10" of snow across all the lanes of the motorway and while it did feel a bit light on the steering at times which the TC reined in, I was even able to help a guy by towing his Cayenne on 22" tyres into the services area as he was just spinning wheels clogged up with snow in the treads into ice slicks

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-08-2011 01:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Christian

As BFG already wrote we have to use real winter tyres in Germany and we have to order them soon. Last year we had early and deep snow in early dezember...
The handbook only says for wheels and tyres "7.0 J, 225/65 R 17". I would need the exact measures of the rims... Are these already known?

Ordered: TD 4 Prestige Auto 4D, Fuji, Spirit, Pan roof, Winter package...
Build date 10-28
11-08-2011 03:41pm
silkster007

(09-08-2011 08:51am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  In Germany the law states you must have tyres appropriate to the conditions. If you can't get grip on snow and cause an obstruction (think TV picture of every car in UK last winter) you are fined €40 and given 1 point on your licence, and if you have an accident which you could have avoided then you insurance company may not pay all or any of your claim.

I have just sold an FL2 with 19" continental tyres as it came from the factory. Although these are marked up M+S, this does not satisfy the German requirement for winter tyres, they must be marked with a snow flake/mountain symbol to be classed as winter tyres and satisfy insurance requirments. My other car is a ford focus. With its proper winter tyre it has never failed me, even through two German winters at -20c and 8" snow, nor in the UK last winter when every one was at a halt.

Would you walk down a snow and ice covered pavement in smooth leather soled shoes (summer tyre, great for grip in the dry and road holding) or would you put on a training shoe/walking boot with a deep treaded sole (M+S winter tyre)? I still have my set of tatty (bought on e-bay) basic (from a GS I think) 17" FL2 alloys with cooper winter tyres and since the running gear is the same, I will be fitting these and will just pop out the LR badge and put in a RR badge. My 20" will rest salt and grit free in my cellar over the winter. It is also important to rember that thin tyres grip better in the snow, so most people here in Germany fit the smallest standard wheels as winter tyres rather than there extra phat summer wheels. For example, my Focus has 18" alloys, but I have 15" steel winters.

I hope this helps; but the bottom line is this, even with all wheel drive, if you can't get the power to the road then it isn't worth tupence h'penny!

Said like a true Officer!
Said like a true Officer!
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 10:40pm by silkster007.)
11-12-2011 10:40pm
QueJumper

Winter Tyres for the Evoque

(08-08-2011 10:43pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  For those wondering which type of tyre you will get.................. it will be a MUD & SNOW tyre either from Michelin/Continental or Pirelli -

Nope untrue. UK spec Dynamic came with 20" Conti Cross Contact UHP which is not an M&S rated tyre. Conti don't recommend this tyre for winter use as it's a high performance road biased SUV tyre but should cope OK with most summer off roading. Not expected great things from it in the snow.

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
11-12-2011 11:43pm
Mag1c_dragon

(11-12-2011 11:43pm)QueJumper Wrote:  Nope untrue. UK spec Dynamic came with 20" Conti Cross Contact UHP which is not an M&S rated tyre. Conti don't recommend this tyre for winter use as it's a high performance road biased SUV tyre but should cope OK with most summer off roading. Not expected great things from it in the snow.

Also, mine came with 20" Michelin Latitude SPORT - a summer tyre. I have just ordered some Pirelli Snow and Ice to replace them for the winter.

Ordered June 11, Built - 24th November - Delivered - 7th Dec - NO DELAYS

Fuji White SD4 Dynamic, Auto, 5 Door, Black contrast roof with Panoramic Sunroof, Vortex Interior, Shadow Alloys, Ebony Roof Liner, Surround Cameras, TPMS Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrampton/6495208095/
12-12-2011 08:21am
XFullFatTim

I know that I was wrong, info came form a usually reliable source and I too am disappointed that I too have Craptinental Cross Contacts on my Dynamic Plus as I hate them with a vengence as they are useless on any sort of muddy surface.I had several rather unpleasant experiences in my hardly overpowered 2.7TDv6RRS that also had them, both on and offroad. They also didn't waer very well compared to other 4x4 tyres I have had. Fortunately the TDV8 RRS and FFRR that I ran had Pirellis and those are what i will fit when time comes to put new tyres on.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 08:27am by XFullFatTim.)
12-12-2011 08:26am
Token

Has anyone managed to get any Winter 20's fitted yet? I've only done a quick web scan, but failed to find any in 245/45/20 yet...

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
12-12-2011 08:28am
XFullFatTim

IIRC Continental or Pirelli do a 20" cannot remember which, have you tried googling the tyre makers/ suppliers websites?

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 08:38am by XFullFatTim.)
12-12-2011 08:38am
Mag1c_dragon

(12-12-2011 08:28am)Token Wrote:  Has anyone managed to get any Winter 20's fitted yet? I've only done a quick web scan, but failed to find any in 245/45/20 yet...

Token, I am booked in at Land Rover Guildford on Thursday to get mine done (and put a tracker a ) £958 fitted inc VAT for 20" Pirelli snow and ice which was the cheapest I could find.

Ordered June 11, Built - 24th November - Delivered - 7th Dec - NO DELAYS

Fuji White SD4 Dynamic, Auto, 5 Door, Black contrast roof with Panoramic Sunroof, Vortex Interior, Shadow Alloys, Ebony Roof Liner, Surround Cameras, TPMS Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrampton/6495208095/
12-12-2011 09:28am
Token

(12-12-2011 09:28am)Mag1c_dragon Wrote:  Token, I am booked in at Land Rover Guildford on Thursday to get mine done (and put a tracker a ) £958 fitted inc VAT for 20" Pirelli snow and ice which was the cheapest I could find.

Thanks...much appreciated...hadn't thought of contact LR direct! Doh!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
12-12-2011 12:08pm