Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter Tyres for the Evoque
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Winter Tyres for the Evoque

Having run my last two cars (FFRR and RRS) on winter tyres during the October to April period and found them to be excellent I decided to have a look around and am pleased to find that I can now get 20" Ice and snow tyres for an SUV. Pirelli (who's Ice and Snow tyres I have for the FFRR and fitted to the RRS but in 19" size) now makes them
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/suv/sh...%26use%3D1

Now big question, I run my current set (which I have just sold) on a second set of wheels which takes up a lot of room in the garage, especially when I also have another set of wheels with 19" MTR's there as well........ I wonder if I should risk the Kwikfit Fitters rim spanners and just change the tyres over rather than having two sets of wheels......... especially as I have specced the Evoque with TPMS.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-08-2011 11:09am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paulus599

RE: Winter Tyres for the Evoque

(08-08-2011 11:09am)FullFatTim Wrote:  Now big question, I run my current set (which I have just sold) on a second set of wheels which takes up a lot of room in the garage, especially when I also have another set of wheels with 19" MTR's there as well........ I wonder if I should risk the Kwikfit Fitters rim spanners and just change the tyres over rather than having two sets of wheels......... especially as I have specced the Evoque with TPMS.

It's not a bad service really. I had them fit a set of winter tyres to my van and they put my summer tyres into a tyre 'hotel' until I wanted them switched back over in March.
The good and bad thing was, that in the intervening months they lost them! bad because you'd think they would be more organised than that, good because they put a brand new set of 4 on for free Very Happy
They now have my winter tyres in the 'hotel', so fingers crossed that they loose them too!

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
08-08-2011 04:05pm
griff

if I was going to fit winter tyres to the Evoque, which, by the way my dealer says is unnecessary, which brand whould you recommend in terms of grip and the balance of legevity?

I always thought Contis were good but they don't seem to be over rated.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
08-08-2011 06:00pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

They are actually ICE and snow tyres as opposed to the mud and snow tyres that LR supplies. They made a huge difference over the last two winters even with 4WD cars that have TR with the grass gravel and snow program fitted. Most of the big tyre makers sell a winter tyre so it's up to you. The guys on FFRR and D4 all go for Vredestien Wintrac Extrmemes (?????), which are probably a lot less expensive than Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow, but those are what I have experience of and like them. The quote I had for the Pirellis was £900 for 4 of 245x45 R 20's (whatever the Dynamic runs on) so not a cheap tyre. They should be fitted from October to April but you can run 12 months of the year on them if you want.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 06:19pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-08-2011 06:15pm
Jonathon555

I have been informed by an evoque test driver today that winter Tyres are not needed.

Looking at the Michelin road Tyres on them, I don't know how

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
08-08-2011 06:15pm
cjfp

(08-08-2011 06:15pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  I have been informed by an evoque test driver today that winter Tyres are not needed.

As per another thread - my order says Pirellis.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
08-08-2011 06:29pm
Gorjan

(08-08-2011 06:15pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  I have been informed by an evoque test driver today that winter Tyres are not needed.

Winter tyres are not needed? Why?

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
08-08-2011 09:16pm
ED209

(08-08-2011 09:16pm)Gorjan Wrote:  

I would have thought the fancy 4x4 stuff would be good enough for most british weather with normal tyres?
08-08-2011 09:50pm
DynamiqueDan

A multitude of threads on the web come to the same conclusion with regards winter tyres - most people who have tested them say that a small FWD hatch with winter tyres would be better in the snow than a 4x4 off roader on summer tyres.

My Merc C class was unusable on its sport contact 3s in the snow but I put some Nokian WGR2 all seasons on it last year and it got us everywhere we wanted it to go.

I too am worried about what tyres Landrover will fit to my Sd4 Dynamic, it looks as though my delivery will be Nov/Dec so I am hoping they put some all seasons on it.

First post by the way - nice to meet you all!
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 09:59pm by DynamiqueDan.)
08-08-2011 09:57pm
Gorjan

(08-08-2011 09:50pm)ED209 Wrote:  
(08-08-2011 09:16pm)Gorjan Wrote:  

I would have thought the fancy 4x4 stuff would be good enough for most british weather with normal tyres?

All the four wheels spinning will not help more than two, if they are on the same slippery surface and neither of the them have traction. I will assume as said that a 2wd car wuth winter tyres will go further then 4wd one with summer ones (in snow/ice).

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
08-08-2011 10:11pm