Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3 Average
The List of Suggested Improvements (was 2012 Software Update List)
Ezandania

2012 Software Update List

(16-01-2012 11:13am)Rootsboy Wrote:  i am not sure that they would be able to turn a permanent 4 wheel drive system, into a 2 wheel drive one with just a software upgrade

Actually they thought of it before, but not sure if the hardware was mass-engineered and produced. Check this out > http://www.roverguide.com/6469/land-rove...se-system/

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
16-01-2012 04:30pm
Find all posts by this user
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: 2012 Software Update List

Oh it's dead easy to turn a Freelander1 from 4WD to 2WD so I doubt it will be too difficult to do it to a freelander2 or RRE. To achieve the desired result take your RRE offroading, make sure that you are following a Disco and are sufficiently far apart that as the Disco drives off the edge of a large stone slab you are driving on to it, listen for the heart-rending noise of metal being ripped off under the car....................... Once you have got out and investigated and found that your Viscous coupling has become detached from the underneath and you are 350 miles from home in a comapny car you find it helpful to have a few friends around who have Torx drivers and tools to disconnect the rear drive from the car so you can make the trip home. This happened to a friend of mine on a Highland offroad Club run a few years back. His Freelander V6 drove south from Inverness without mishap in 2WD and without any obvious problems. Imagine the relief when you ahve explained to boss that you have ripped part of the transmission out of the company car when he announces that at least the car was covered by the company insurance as they provided offroad use cover on all Land Rover company cars in their fleet!
Actually the underside of the Evoque is quite well tucked up out of harms way
[Image: 5371dec6.jpg]

[Image: 8c8ba104.jpg]

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-01-2012 05:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-01-2012 05:13pm
martin.hazell

(24-12-2011 05:43pm)olde Wrote:  LandRover works with Navteq and other external suppliers to evolve in-car navigation, entertainment, control and communications systems. There is little online support, e.g. navigation, because some features are still maturing.

Mr. Draper is a British ex-pat and 25-year Land Rover veteran, based in Canada. He is writing an internal advisory letter to Land Rover HQ, listing suggestions for a 2012 software release. Mr. Draper asked me if anyone on this forum had suggestions to add to his letter.

If so, please number your suggestions, or edit a previous suggestion number, so Mr. Draper can interpret a more aggregated list. Please be constructive, suggest how stuff can be improved. Software can be frustrating, but Land Rover wants to remain best-in-class and they can not do so without support from their best customers.

If we do end up with a few software upgrade or bug fix suggestions, I'll ask Mr. Draper if I can post any details about what he is sending to Land Rover HQ.

I would like to see LR/RR deliver on its promise to provide meaningful 4x4 information promised as part of the Pure Tech Pack but completely missing from my car as delivered.

Inclusion of off-road sat-nav [OS] as part of the HDD Premium Navigation system on UK models - included in driver handbook but not car as delivered - In all other LR/RR models where SatNav is described as Premium off-road sat nat is included - why not the Evoque?

Phone compatability problem with Symbian Anna - does not return tomusic playback after call despite stating that it does on LR/RR comnpatability report
18-01-2012 11:03am
WB
WB

A few software suggestions:

1. For cars fitted with rear camera and parking sensors it would be good to have an audible indication of proximity to the kerb to avoid wheel scuffs - seems like all the components are there to do this.
2. Fix the iPhone IOS5 Bluetooth/cable audio issue - documented on another thread here -> http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Informati...OS-5-issue
3. A proper 3D view for the sat nav.
18-01-2012 12:13pm
olde

RE: Please Edit -- Software Update Suggestions

Overall System:
1. Faster Response -- response to key-presses is generally too slow, yet it can work faster, e.g. the navigation rotation arrows work too fast, and the keyboard screen secretly buffers presses if the user ignores the fact that the keypad just greyed-out
2. Dimming Levels -- dimming controls do not dim enough for some people, especially when driving in low light, and especially on the satnav screen.
3. Enable WiFi -- Allow a WiFi dongle to be used in a USB port, so users can connect their cars to their wireless devices and home networks, and send files to/from the car wirelessly. Another possible use would be to upload sat nav location and/or google routing information to the car's sat nav.
4. Immediate Rear-View -- The rear view camera is a great option but it could do with being quicker to action. On some occasions the manouvre can be almost complete before the camera fires up. The ability to see the Rear View Camera should be earlier in the car's boot-up cycle.
5. More Short-Cuts -- Better control of shortcuts, e.g. navigating through the camera views is a slow and complicated chore, and being able to jump to certain views would increase user safety. Other users request ability to select surround camera view from the reversing camera full screen view, while reversing.
6. Car-kill Delay -- The 10 minute cut off for radio/tv etc functions without the engine running is very annoying. While users understanding battery drain, they feel certain a more polite cut-off system could be used.
7. Larger Font -- For those users who lack good vision, an option to enlarge fonts on key sat nav info would be useful and safer; similarly with the driver info system on the central display.
8. Real-Time Tire Pressures -- TPMS to display the actual tyres pressure on each corner in near-real time.
9. Chime Deactivate – Need a documented way to turn off the door-open chime and the seat-belt chime.
10. Headlight Brightness Adjust -- Add optio to adjust light level used for auto headlights
11. Manual Gear Number -- Show current gear number for manual box, between dials [non-automatic models]
12. Change Gear Indicator – Need an ability to turn off the change gear indicator between dials, while still maintaining the Stop/Start function [non-automatic models]
13. Digital MPH & KPH – Users would like a digital readout for MPH not just Km/h.
14. ECO Button Placement -- The automatic's ECO button should be near the Terrain Response System buttons (similar to the Dynamic). This should change AWD to 2WD on-the-fly. This would cause and instant fuel savings as there would be less wheels to drive, and would lighten the EPAS, and changes the throttle control. Best suited for city driving (or when only doing below 65kph).
15. ECO Button Light -- The ECO button light should be off when ECO is on, as the default ECO setting should be on. Thus, the light should be on when ECO is turned off. It is ironic and confusing that an unnecessary light is on to tell you it is in ECO.
16. Overboost -- An overboost button should be included to match the Dynamic setting.
17. Exhaust Note – Instal an electronic baffleplate to change exhaust sound characteristics to match the dynamic setting, else it sounds like a bogging 4-cylinder.
18. Hard Reset – Include a hard reset button, inaccessible while driving, to reboot the car if sensors go crazy. Otherwise, users are endangered by having to unplug their battery or touch positive to negative terminals.
19. System Fault Readout – System fault and diagnostic information to be included in dash, as an optional view for those users who more advanced.
20. Map Home Screen -- When driving, some users always like to have the map showing. So, they would like to set the “home screen” to be the map and for it to always be visible when they start the car.
21. Other Home Screen – Need more screen savers, e.g. Digital Clock, Framework Evoque, random evoque pictures, etc.
22. Default Parking Cameras – Need shortcuts for “Park Right” or “Park Left” to instantly switch on the front right (or Left) bumper and wing mirror cameras. Alternatively, setting for the head unit so that as soon as car drops below a set speed (say 8mph) soft buttons appear: Park Left & Park Right, and automatically activate front and rear parking sensors.
23. Birdshit View – Need a “constructed aerial view” using the surround cameras, showing the entire car and its surroundings from a point directly above the car.
24. Speed Limiter – There should be a speed limiter option for quickly setting max speed in increments, as opposed to the max speed warning setting.
25. Language Inconsistencies – The language can be changed for the console display, but the cockpit language seems unchangeable, as are the hard-coded English warnings in the camera displays.  Best to make it so that language is handled with one setting for all systems and subsystems.

Navigation Subsystem:
1. Less Obscured Map – buttons that float over map views are large and only faintly transparent. They obscure the map. For example, the map rotation arrows obscure 10% of the map, and are thus too easy to press by accident resulting in the map spinning out of control. Also, the navigation system does not let users browse forward in the direction of travel without popping up even more buttons and information under your fingers, which get in the way of the map.
2. Include Pseudonyms -- The navigation database does not work well with pseudonyms, e.g. Canada has a road called QEW which has to be called HWY-401 with a hyphen touching the Y but not touching the 4, and without spelling out highway. Meanwhile, 401 is not listed in the text database, but it shows on the map.
3. Disclaimer Warning – the nav system cancels itself unless the user first agrees to a disclaimer warning. It would be more useful, before the system kills itself, if it could park the question for a while so users dont have to restart the whole boot process again. [Not sure I wrote this one correctly!]
4. Store Location – easier way to store current location as Favourite in Nav.
5. Destination Entry -- less steps from destination entry to actually enabling Nav destination, users currently have to find destination, return to map, press 'destination' and then unnecessarily press 'Go' as well, each time waiting for the system to slowly react to key presses.
6. TMC Ahead List -- The TMC indicator on the NAV Map when pressed should take you directly to the "Issues Ahead" List. Or have a display for issues on the map? it should allow you to interogate the road system and not just the roads on route, like you can in the RR & RRS. There is no way to find out why the sat nav has sent you a stupid route and not the normal one, which may be due to a TMC message. Also, need to show what TMS information is being used to divert user, as 90% of UK TMS for example, is out of date.
7. Off-Road Nav – Need to include off-road sat-nav [OS] as part of the HDD Premium Navigation system on UK models – it is included in driver handbook but not in cars as delivered. In all other LR/RR models where SatNav is described as Premium, off-road sat nat is included.
8. Improved 3D View – The 3D view is cluttered and clumsy looking and could be greatly improved. It is certainly not competitive with other vehicles on the road.

Phone Subsystem:
1. Phonebook Search -- search suggestions by the phonebook should use all data-fields in the contacts database, because current suggestions are too limited.
2. Multiple Concurrent Phones -- It would be useful to allow more than one mobile phone to be connected at the same time.
3. Phonebook NavTo – Add an option to 'Navigate to' from Phonebook addresses; so users dont have to remember and type, which is distracting to driver
4. SMS -- Show SMS Text on screen when recieved.

Entertainment Subsystem:
1. Unneccessary Video Preview – The entertainment screen's video preview screen is unnecessary and adds extra complexity and button presses
2. Video Formats -- Too many video formats are not recognized and the user manual is vague about this.
3. Sound Options -- Meridian sound system graphics should offer more control, including mid-control on top of the top/low/sub settings and an equalizer.
4. Track Response -- Reduced delay in track changes.
5. Album Art – Display album art from mp3-tags or from the folder.jpg file
6. Rename CD's – Need ability to rename uploaded CD's, for example, users can have multiple CD's uploaded which all claim to be called Greatest Hits.
7. Audio '+' Button -- Audio '+' button is a bit fiddly which makes it difficult to select next available devices.
8. USB Search -- When using a large USB stick, there should be the ability to search for artist or album rather than just stepping up and down a total list, 5 lines at a time.
9. Ipod Search -- iPod mode could use a search function like in the phone mode. Now users have to go through the folders alphabetically, but with 7000+ songs in a typical iPod, it can take 20-minutes of distracting button presses to get to a specific artist.
10. Dial Labels - Artist name between dials, Rather than unneccessary USB1 [Non-Nav models?]. Also, should be artist name + song name displayed between the dials, currently is only song.

Environmental Control:
1. Unhide Time/Temp – Do not hide time/temp when Nav commands are active between dials [Non-Nav models?]
2. Camera Security – Add a security camera function which uses the surround cameras to activate warning lights and sounds. This system would record images or video to the car's hard drive during threft or accidents.

Software Bugs:
1. If you set the language and speech cues to a British/UK voice, it won't let you use the nav in the US. You have to choose English US or the nav wont work.
2. Phone compatability problem with Symbian Anna - does not return tomusic playback after call despite stating that it does on LR/RR comnpatability report.
3. BT streaming over 40mph – Bluetooth streaming can be used to pump internet radio into the car from a phone, but it loses signal when the user picks up speed. This is a fault of the phone, but by adding a small antennae, the Evoque could ask you to "put your mobile into the centre armrest near the in-built antenna which relays a boosted signal." [Not sure this what is causing this, as BT should work at any speed].
4. iPhone IOS5 Bluetooth/cable audio issue - http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Informati...OS-5-issue

Non-software suggestions:
1. Ambient Door-Lights – the lights in the door handles are barely visible, their prismatic lenses are blocking too much light.
2. 4x4 Info -- Provide more meaningful 4x4 information in supplied literature.
3. Daylight Running Rear – Add option for daylight running rear lights for those users who don't have auto-on lights.
4. Soft Lumbar – lumbar is too subtle in Prestige seats, needs to be more range of motion
5. Rear-View Mirror – The central rear-view mirror is mounted an inch too low, may be easier to instal but reduces visibility forward and back
6. Windscreen Wipers – Wipers are set a few inches too high, and can be easily lowered at dealerships to work better and be less conspicuous.
7. Floor Liners -- Range Rover floor liners are too small and need to be more formed and expansive. The winter rubber mats especially need to be made larger, more like those made by Weathertech.
8. Passenger kick plate – the plastic tray protecting fuses from passenger's toes, should be modified to allow larger foot sizes to fit under it.
9. Heated Front Screen – need a heating mesh that reduces flare-up of lights ahead, including a small area at eye level with no heating.
10. Retaining Hooks -- The retaining hooks in the rear need to fit flush with the floor as they damage any luggage that is pushed over them.

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
20-01-2012 06:47am
chiggy

that's...... some list.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
20-01-2012 07:08am
Rootsboy

great list, just one thing no 13... you can already set digital MPA or KPA in the set up screen, my car is European and is set to KPA, but i can go and set the digital part to MPA as i like to see what my fuel economy is in MPG as i am English and i think my head is hardwired that way, and of corse is also shows the speed in MPA.

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
20-01-2012 10:15am
Ezandania

Hope someone in JLR R&D looks into it...

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
20-01-2012 03:41pm
Blackseries

Wow! olde .... what a great list!

I maybe too late to add this but tbh I thought I was being a bit thick not being able to find it .....and still can’t, so I thought I’d mention it.

I can’t find a volume “mute” button anywhere .....I’m sure there must be one but I can’t find it. Anyroadup it would really nice to have a SWYS command of “mute” and while you were adding that maybe a SWYS “Volume XX” command (with XX being the volume level). I ask this because I find the steering wheel (volume controls) fiddly to say the least. When pressing the + or – steering wheel volume control I often find I’ve accidently pressed the “forward” or “back” portion of the key instead ..... imo the Audi solution with the volume control button being a roll control a much better solution ....... so a SWYS volume control command would be good quick workaround.

Also while I’m at it maybe a SWYS “Dynamic on”and “Dynamic off” command ..... I’m not sure if I use the Dynamic (AD) function like everybody else .... but I don’t leave it on all the time I just switch it on for my special bits of road so to be able to activate at will without having to take my eyes off the road would be really useful .... and safer.

Thanks for all your hard work on this......

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
21-01-2012 01:45am
RoverMD

(21-01-2012 01:45am)Blackseries Wrote:  Wow! olde .... what a great list!

I maybe too late to add this but tbh I thought I was being a bit thick not being able to find it .....and still can’t, so I thought I’d mention it.

I can’t find a volume “mute” button anywhere .....I’m sure there must be one but I can’t find it. Anyroadup it would really nice to have a SWYS command of “mute” and while you were adding that maybe a SWYS “Volume XX” command (with XX being the volume level). I ask this because I find the steering wheel (volume controls) fiddly to say the least. When pressing the + or – steering wheel volume control I often find I’ve accidently pressed the “forward” or “back” portion of the key instead ..... imo the Audi solution with the volume control button being a roll control a much better solution ....... so a SWYS volume control command would be good quick workaround.

Also while I’m at it maybe a SWYS “Dynamic on”and “Dynamic off” command ..... I’m not sure if I use the Dynamic (AD) function like everybody else .... but I don’t leave it on all the time I just switch it on for my special bits of road so to be able to activate at will without having to take my eyes off the road would be really useful .... and safer.

Thanks for all your hard work on this......

Mute volume by pressing the volume button. Awesome list. If they would only even add 50%

'12 Dynamic - Buckingham Blue
21-01-2012 12:02pm
Thread Closed