Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Evoque and the iPhone
xxxreme

RE: The Evoque and the iPhone

I've tried using various file formats. Everything from low bit rate, to high but rate, uncompressed to high compressed with the same results.

The one time I was successfuluckily the service tech was in the car with me. I tried several different songs and they all worked fine. I was using a Apple cable. I went in, signed paperwork to get my car back, went outside, didn't touch a thing and it was poor quality again.

Bluetooth streaming works great. The issue is that I can't charge the phone at the same time. Once I plug it in to power, the Bluetooth turns off.

I really don't understand the issue, my iPhone and cable work fine in 2 different Mercedes, a Ford F150, Porsche Carrera S and Acura RDX. I was given a Jaguar XF as a loaner car which uses the same Meridian system and it worked perfectly in there.

I'm going to stop by the dealer today and see if it's isolated to my car or if it works fine in other cars on the lot.
01-08-2014 03:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trevd01

(01-08-2014 03:22pm)xxxreme Wrote:  I've tried using various file formats. Everything from low bit rate, to high but rate, uncompressed to high compressed with the same results.

The one time I was successfuluckily the service tech was in the car with me. I tried several different songs and they all worked fine. I was using a Apple cable. I went in, signed paperwork to get my car back, went outside, didn't touch a thing and it was poor quality again.

Bluetooth streaming works great. The issue is that I can't charge the phone at the same time. Once I plug it in to power, the Bluetooth turns off.

I really don't understand the issue, my iPhone and cable work fine in 2 different Mercedes, a Ford F150, Porsche Carrera S and Acura RDX. I was given a Jaguar XF as a loaner car which uses the same Meridian system and it worked perfectly in there.

I'm going to stop by the dealer today and see if it's isolated to my car or if it works fine in other cars on the lot.

I have an old iPod classic on the wired input, and use Bluetooth for music from the iPhone, BUT you have to unplug the iPod before you can stream via BT from the phone. You can of course charge the iPhone from the front 12v 'lighter' socket using a suitable cable while streaming music from the phone via BT
01-08-2014 03:45pm
xxxreme

(01-08-2014 03:45pm)trevd01 Wrote:  I have an old iPod classic on the wired input, and use Bluetooth for music from the iPhone, BUT you have to unplug the iPod before you can stream via BT from the phone. You can of course charge the iPhone from the front 12v 'lighter' socket using a suitable cable while streaming music from the phone via BT

Is it me or do these "get-arounds" seem absolutely ridiculous? This function works as designed in every other vehicle I have owned. RR obviously intended for this vehicle to function in the same manner but the fact they released it product which doesn't work leaves me dumbfounded.
01-08-2014 04:51pm
HeartbreakRidge

(01-08-2014 04:51pm)xxxreme Wrote:  Is it me or do these "get-arounds" seem absolutely ridiculous? This function works as designed in every other vehicle I have owned. RR obviously intended for this vehicle to function in the same manner but the fact they released it product which doesn't work leaves me dumbfounded.

I'm still wondering based on the comments so far whether it isn't the Apple cable that's the problem. Has anyone had the issue with a non-Apple cable?

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
01-08-2014 06:46pm
Barton Evoque

I only ever buy non apple cables off ebay tried a few in the car all seem to work for me.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
01-08-2014 09:14pm
Stadt Panzer

The Evoque and the iPhone

xxxreme,

I have always used an apple cable and in my last two Evoques the system has worked fine. Don't see the reason why I would want to bluetooth to stream music? Hard wired charges the phone and plays music, Bluetooth can look after the phone calls.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
03-08-2014 06:29am
xxxreme

(03-08-2014 06:29am)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  xxxreme,

I have always used an apple cable and in my last two Evoques the system has worked fine. Don't see the reason why I would want to bluetooth to stream music? Hard wired charges the phone and plays music, Bluetooth can look after the phone calls.

I think I figured it out. The dealer gave me a Jaguar as a loaner and I used my Apple cable which worked fine. The Meridian sound system was the same. The Apple cable plays music through the RR but it's all garbled.

I ordered a Monoprice cable just because I needed a shorter one and it's cheaper than an Apple cable. I plugged it in and ta-da! It works perfectly!

I've been using it for a few days no without any problems. Looks like there is an incompatibility with Meridian and Apple branded cables.
06-08-2014 02:43am
spud218

(14-10-2011 09:04pm)PJ Wrote:  Today I started having a problem with playing music from my iPhone through the USB cable. It plays fine then the volume completely cuts out after about a minute. It is still connected as I see the track playing on the evoque touchscreen but no volume. If I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect the sound resumes but again only for a minute or so. It was playing fine before. I did update to iOS 5 last night but this may have nothing to do with it. Any thoughts?

Hi, not much help but just so you know, Ive just had exactly this start happening in the last few days Sad
Ive read on another forum you can have car software updated but I don't know about it, Im going to seek help from garage this week.
Sad

(01-08-2014 06:46pm)HeartbreakRidge Wrote:  I'm still wondering based on the comments so far whether it isn't the Apple cable that's the problem. Has anyone had the issue with a non-Apple cable?

I have non apple cables AND apple cable and RR cables and they all having probs so am sure its not them, its got to be the software of the car Sad
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 08:34pm by spud218.)
01-11-2014 08:31pm
Benziner

Last week I went to my dealer to discuss several problems.

They had a letter from Land Rover that the problem is known and it is not only the Evoque. I think it is topix global reference: SSM71815. They don't know what the problem is but they advise the dealer to check the following:

1. Is it an original cable from Apple and is there no damage.
2. Is the USB-Port ok? Clean it.
3. Is the Port in the Iphone ok? Clean it.
4. Are the pins of the audio modul ok?
5. Change the audio modul if the problems are still there.

So I asked why my dealer doesn't change the modul? They said that they have to ask Land Rover again before they can do this.

Now I will try to use a Monoprise cable.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 08:38am by Benziner.)
02-11-2014 08:37am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Has anyone run a virus check on their USB........ If you use the same cable to synch your phone to a laptop or PC it is possible that you have infected the USB socket

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-11-2014 05:17pm