Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Steering problem update
bluebear

RE: Steering problem update

(26-03-2012 02:12pm)Ralf Wrote:  My car was in the garage for three days in the meantime.

Two engeneers from Land Rover Germany and Getrag ( the manufacturer of the steering ) checked all.
I was told they didn´t find a fault. It would be normal for this kind of electrical sttering assist to hold the center for a better directional stability.

For my opininon this can´t be the reason or solution., because it´s not the on center feeling, more like the stering axle is in a vice.

So i will wait until it repeats and how many other cars are concerned.

Ralf

Ralf (and everyone else with this issue)
Don't accept this. This is exactly the same response as I got and it got to the point where I was going to sell the car if that was deemed 'normal'. Thankfully my Dealer Principle took the car for an extended period of time and after a few days experienced the problem and even though LR tested the car again and couldn't find a problem, they agreed to change the steering rack and as I have said previously it's like a different car!

I don't claim to be an expert but I've been driving a long time and can tell when something isn't right with something as basic and important as steering. You start to question that when they continually say they can't replicate the problem (laptops plugged into it and all that) but you need to hold firm. Why would anyone want to complain about a brand new car they have probably waited a long time for and paid a lot of money for?

Get your dealer involved and ask them to take it for an extended period (my dealer gave me a loan car). They will find it eventually and remember, it is not you but the car.

My car now, I love it!

Collected - Pure Coupe SD4 Tech Auto, fuji with Almond/Expresso interior. Style 5 19" alloys, panoramic roof, xenons, privacy glass, electric adjustment exterior mirrors, rear camera, park assist, fog lamps, spare wheel
27-03-2012 08:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ralf

This is a good advice for all of us.

I think the problem is a software bug.

No one of us can accept this until a reason is found.

Ralf

Evoque Si4 Prestige, Order August 2011, Delivery February 2012
27-03-2012 09:11am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It would be interesting to see if this problem affects cars in a certain range of VIN's that have now been sent all over the world. That would suggest a problem with a batch of steering systems rather than a random problem.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-03-2012 09:55am
Donny Dog

(27-03-2012 09:55am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It would be interesting to see if this problem affects cars in a certain range of VIN's that have now been sent all over the world. That would suggest a problem with a batch of steering systems rather than a random problem.

A fellow poster on the evoqueownersclub.co.uk forum bought his car at the same time as me. They are both identical OG Prestige SD4 autos, both manufactured on 24 February. I've had no problems (so far!) but his has been in the garage a few days now, and I understand they are fitting a new sub-frame to (hopefully) cure the problem. This makes the spread of manufacturing dates quite wide, and also it seems to be a random factor.
27-03-2012 10:57am
kso2911

Hi Stuart:

Which dealer did you purchase your car from? I got my Dynamic at the same time as you from a South SF Bay dealer - Land Rover San Jose and am facing the same issue as you. Did your dealership acknowledge the issue immediately - How did you go about it? Have they been able to fix it yet?

Thanks,
KSO.

(15-03-2012 09:32pm)stuartsmith Wrote:  Picked up my new Dynamic Evoque March 8th 2012 in Northern California. Drove perfectly locally and for short trips on the freeway. However, first long trip (120 miles) on the freeway, displayed the same symptoms reported by Woodhouse. Extremely stiff steering, quite difficult to hold a straight line or line through a curve. Arrived at destination tired and disappointed. Same problem on the return trip. Slowing the vehicle seemed to restore normal power assist for a while. However, after 10-15 min at freeway speed, symptoms returned. Vehicle now with the dealer for evaluation.
01-04-2012 05:01am
stuartsmith

(01-04-2012 05:01am)kso2911 Wrote:  Hi Stuart:

Which dealer did you purchase your car from? I got my Dynamic at the same time as you from a South SF Bay dealer - Land Rover San Jose and am facing the same issue as you. Did your dealership acknowledge the issue immediately - How did you go about it? Have they been able to fix it yet?

Thanks,
KSO.
To KSO. I bought my Evoque from Cole European in Walnut Creek, California. They had the vehicle for more than 1 week during which three different mechanics drove a total of 400 miles. For two of them this was their first opportunity to drive an Evoque. After initially reproducing the problem on the freeway, they were prompted by Land Rover UK to perform several tests, the most important of which involved loosening the steering rack and tie rod ends then retorquing. Eventually I was invited to retest the vehicle along with two technicians. I drove the vehicle at 60-75 mph on the freeway for 1 hour without any reoccurrence of the original problem. The service people at Cole European were extremely concerned about identifying the cause of the problem and ensuring it was fixed properly but they were entirely dependent on the suggestions from Land Rover and this communication was rather slow, primarily because of the 8-hour time differential. Since the vehicle was returned to me, I have driven about 700 miles, approximately 250 in long stints of 60-75 mph on the freeway. There have been no further problems with the steering. If the problem was fixed by loosening and retorquing the steering rack, then I can only assume that the steering rack on some of the Evoques is not being properly set up at the time of manufacture. Otherwise, I am really delighted with the vehicle performance.
ssmith@chori.org
01-04-2012 08:18pm
chris

Hi Stuart,

interesting to read your info. Unbelievable that only the steering rack was retorqued.
Is there already a service bulletin out from Land Rover UK ?
Or is there a more accurate info from your LR dealer what exactly to do ?

Thanks
chris
01-04-2012 08:52pm
Keuntje

Collected my car on friday. Experienced the same problem.

Back at the dealers. I hope they will find a sollution.
02-04-2012 04:14pm
Broadsword1959

Got the details of my Evoque off Topix today. Built March 26th delivery to my dealer this week.
Noticed on Topix the following:-
STEERING RACKS - UPRATED
Has this been on TOPIX details on the vehicles that have had the steering problem?

I have seen this already on this topic but we dont seem to have a definitive answer - How many have this on thier Topix and had the problem

Just wonder if LR are doing something with the new builds.

Pure, SD4, Manual, Baltic Blue, Ebony Interior, Tech Pack, Xenon Headlights, Folding Mirrors / Puddle Lights, Front Fog Lights, Reversing Camera
[Image: 124096.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:33pm by Broadsword1959.)
03-04-2012 09:28pm
RacingSnake

(03-04-2012 09:28pm)Broadsword1959 Wrote:  Noticed on Topix the following:-
STEERING RACKS - UPRATED
No definitive answer... in this thread, or mine from the other day...
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Uprated-s...t=steering
(and my comment to you on the other thread too Very Happy lol )

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
03-04-2012 09:32pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply