Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retrofit Signature Xenon Headlights
B_o_b_o

Retrofit Signature Xenon Headlights

Has anyone managed to get this done successfully and if so where did you get it done and how much did it cost?
21-09-2014 01:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Retrofit Signature Xenon Headlights

A couple of threads have appeared in the last few days about doing this, one is here
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Halogen-t...t-possible
It is possible, whether you are prepared to pay the cost of a set of new headlights or not will be the deciding factor. Once installed the car has to be enabled to recognise that it no longer has Halogen lights. Budget on around £700 each for a complete unit, plus the cost of the installing and enabling. Member Smofish has recently done it

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 03:01pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-09-2014 03:00pm
Smoftah

Hi yes I have had it done.

I picked up a second hand set of complete original xenon for £220 off eBay for the pair.

Then went to cartronics in Surrey who charged me £650+vat to fit, code and install a module (relay).

They now work like factory with signature drl's with no faults or warnings on the dash.
21-09-2014 04:37pm
markdartj

(21-09-2014 04:37pm)Smoftah Wrote:  Hi yes I have had it done.

I picked up a second hand set of complete original xenon for £220 off eBay for the pair.

Then went to cartronics in Surrey who charged me £650+vat to fit, code and install a module (relay).

They now work like factory with signature drl's with no faults or warnings on the dash.

Just curious, are the retrofits "self-leveling?" and if so, did you have to add power washers - or is your car already equipped?

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
21-09-2014 04:54pm
Smoftah

They are manual level adjusting, but they still adjust with same switch that was used for the halogen lights on the dashboard.

I have not installed the headlight washers, I know it is an mot failure etc etc but it is not something I want on the car.
21-09-2014 05:01pm
markdartj

No worries, just curious about the process. On another thread in this forum, the MOT was brought up re headlight mods, and one poster said he just keeps the halos handy and pops them back in for inspection. Not sure how easy this is, but it works for him. Good luck.

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
21-09-2014 05:37pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Only the very earliest UK cars will now be subject to the MOT, sny car delivered after 9th Sept 2011 that has reached its 3rd birthday

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 07:10pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-09-2014 07:09pm
B_o_b_o

(21-09-2014 04:37pm)Smoftah Wrote:  Hi yes I have had it done.

(21-09-2014 05:01pm)Smoftah Wrote:  They are manual level adjusting, but they still adjust with same switch that was used for the halogen lights on the dashboard.

I have not installed the headlight washers, I know it is an mot failure etc etc but it is not something I want on the car.

Hi there. I think this maybe even be your vehicle in the video Cartronics posted i.e.

http://www.cartronics.co.uk/Evoque-Xenon

I am a bit concerned over the ambiguity surrounding whether a headlamp washing system and an auto-self-levelling system is required in order to pass an MOT.

I've read quite a bit and some people suggest they are not mandatory but should the vehicle have them fitted then they have to be tested as part of the MOT. Then it follows for vehicles that don't have them then they cannot be tested as thus cannot cause an MOT failure.

I have also read that manufacturers must have the washing & levelling system(s) installed for brand new vehicles but obviously I'd be after retro-fitting my Xenons like you.

Are you worried when it comes round to having yours MOT'd on the off chance somebody questions why you don't have them?

I would love to have them done but worried about potential future MOT implications.
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2014 09:39am by B_o_b_o.)
22-09-2014 09:37am
Smoftah

Yes by law you need the headlamp washers when fitting xenons and if noticed it will be an mot failure.

I have converted some of my cars in the past and because it looks factory I have never had a tester question it.

I am not worried come mot time as it is quite unlikely that any tester will notice.

I say go for it and keep your halogens lights handy incase it does fail, as you can simply fit your old lights back in and it will pass the mot, then swap them back out after the mot
22-09-2014 10:46am
B_o_b_o

(22-09-2014 10:46am)Smoftah Wrote:  Yes by law you need the headlamp washers when fitting xenons and if noticed it will be an mot failure.

I have converted some of my cars in the past and because it looks factory I have never had a tester question it.

I am not worried come mot time as it is quite unlikely that any tester will notice.

I say go for it and keep your halogens lights handy incase it does fail, as you can simply fit your old lights back in and it will pass the mot, then swap them back out after the mot

Did Cartronics comment on this at all? I see they are now offering to perform the full conversion and wondered if they cover themselves since effectively the work they carry out could have MOT implications.

I'd love to go for it - the legislation wording is ambiguous and some motorists have had difficulty having made the plunge i.e.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/co...t-failures

Argh - what should I do???
22-09-2014 11:05am