Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retrofit Signature Xenon Headlights
B_o_b_o

RE: Retrofit Signature Xenon Headlights

Based on the following quote from VOSA then I would say I am allowed to retrofit Xenons and despite the fact my Evoque does not have a headlamp washing system or auto self levelling then these would not be tested and thus not cause an MOT inspection to fail.

As per the following...

....A spokesman for VOSA denied that this was the case. He said: “If a car has the washing and self-levelling system then we’ll check it and it will need to be in full working order. If it’s not there, we don’t check it – we give the owner the benefit of the doubt.”

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/co...z3E2rypPOr
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2014 02:01pm by B_o_b_o.)
22-09-2014 01:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smoftah

(22-09-2014 11:05am)B_o_b_o Wrote:  Did Cartronics comment on this at all? I see they are now offering to perform the full conversion and wondered if they cover themselves since effectively the work they carry out could have MOT implications.

I'd love to go for it - the legislation wording is ambiguous and some motorists have had difficulty having made the plunge i.e.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/co...t-failures

Argh - what should I do???

No they did not say anything about the washers, as I told them I did not want them before they had the chance to warn me Smile

I think you should go for it! The signature DRL's look great and the Xenon lights themselves are much brighter at night than the standard lights.
22-09-2014 06:38pm
B_o_b_o

Can you recommend any sellers for genuine headlamps?
22-09-2014 09:54pm
Smoftah

Here is a set of LHD lights from the same seller, eBay item number 271609525669
22-09-2014 10:18pm
B_o_b_o

Thanks!
22-09-2014 11:03pm
B_o_b_o

(22-09-2014 10:18pm)Smoftah Wrote:  Here is a set of LHD lights from the same seller, eBay item number 271609525669

Can these be used in the UK? It says something about EU spec so alarm bells started ringing.
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 10:54am by B_o_b_o.)
23-09-2014 10:35am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You would be ok to use them "on a temporary basis" up to the first MOT. Evoque's headlights do not need any adjustment for driving on the continent due to the way the dip pattern works, however for LHD cars the light pattern is slightly different hence the RHD dip / LHD dip conundrum. A friend of mine lives in Belgium but has a LHD UK spec RRS registered in the UK. It has LHD dipping headlights that he has to change for a set of UK RHD dipping units when he returns the car annually to the UK for an MOT if he doesn't want a fail.
Would suggest you keep looking for a UK set and save the hassle of still needing a UK set when MOT time comes round

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 10:55am by XFullFatTim.)
23-09-2014 10:54am
B_o_b_o

I found this in the latest guidelines from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system. Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...7-vehicles

So based on this I think I'd be fine to retrofit the signature Xenons despite not having an auto self-levelling or washing system.

(23-09-2014 10:54am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You would be ok to use them "on a temporary basis" up to the first MOT. Evoque's headlights do not need any adjustment for driving on the continent due to the way the dip pattern works, however for LHD cars the light pattern is slightly different hence the RHD dip / LHD dip conundrum. A friend of mine lives in Belgium but has a LHD UK spec RRS registered in the UK. It has LHD dipping headlights that he has to change for a set of UK RHD dipping units when he returns the car annually to the UK for an MOT if he doesn't want a fail.
Would suggest you keep looking for a UK set and save the hassle of still needing a UK set when MOT time comes round

Um still a bit confused with this. I just want to buy signature Xenons that are UK compliant. So what exactly am I looking out for? Sorry for being slow.

Those for sale on eBay say

"EU spec / left hand drive"

so are these o.k. to use here in the UK or not?
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 11:00am by B_o_b_o.)
23-09-2014 10:55am
Smoftah

You need to wait for a set of RHD lights, the LHD drive ones are no good for you in the UK.
23-09-2014 09:57pm
B_o_b_o

Ok thanks. Just need to source a pair now!
24-09-2014 12:43am