Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
j7david

RE: Real world mpg

(26-02-2012 01:46am)Straydox Wrote:  Just calculating your consumption figures to true fuel consumption (litres divided by 4.54 to get to gallons) it has averaged 35.08 over the total mileage and the last tank was 35.88 mpg.

Is it an Auto or a manual transmission?

SD4 Auto.

I'm not sure about your maths:

2012 miles using 262.37 litres gives 7.6686 miles/litre
multiplied by 4.5454545 (or easier, divided by 0.22) = 34.857mpg -- or 34.86 as per my little spreadsheet
26-02-2012 10:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RRevoqueTD4

My Mpg - a bit dissappointed

Hi!

Have mine TD4 manual from January.
Ususal mpg is 33mpg. I was expecting something about 37mpg to be honest when I bought it.
I have 3100 miles on my car until now.

But here is the real suprise I got.
I went to Germany...made 745 miles...average speed was 70 mph...consumtion was 27mpg !!!
27 mpg !!! -> i was so suprised I called the dealer next day if something is wrong with my engine.
The outside temperature was from -3 to +5 Celsius. I've done manual calculating also and came with
the same result. In Germany I even put in the "Super Diesel" fuel which 30% more expensive and should
effect more mpg and better performance. But nothing improved.
Am very dissappointed with consuption on the highway since I wasn't driving crazy...from 75mph to 100mph.
I have MAK custom rims and Pirelli winter 18'' tyres.
After I called the LR dealer they advised me to reset the trip computer. Back home when I usually use the car for
dropping of kids to school and other small stuff the mpg shows again 33mpg.

In general dissappointed but has anybody have this abnormal readings on the highway as well?
01-03-2012 04:29pm
Donny Dog

RE: My Mpg - a bit dissappointed

(01-03-2012 04:29pm)RRevoqueTD4 Wrote:  Hi!

Have mine TD4 manual from January.
Ususal mpg is 33mpg. I was expecting something about 37mpg to be honest when I bought it.
I have 3100 miles on my car until now.

But here is the real suprise I got.
I went to Germany...made 745 miles...average speed was 70 mph...consumtion was 27mpg !!!
27 mpg !!! -> i was so suprised I called the dealer next day if something is wrong with my engine.
The outside temperature was from -3 to +5 Celsius. I've done manual calculating also and came with
the same result. In Germany I even put in the "Super Diesel" fuel which 30% more expensive and should
effect more mpg and better performance. But nothing improved.
Am very dissappointed with consuption on the highway since I wasn't driving crazy...from 75mph to 100mph.
I have MAK custom rims and Pirelli winter 18'' tyres.
After I called the LR dealer they advised me to reset the trip computer. Back home when I usually use the car for
dropping of kids to school and other small stuff the mpg shows again 33mpg.

In general dissappointed but has anybody have this abnormal readings on the highway as well?

My wife's Evoque isn't due until tomorrow, so can't comment on that, but I've been 'experimenting' for years with her previous cars (all Toyota RAVs) and the fall-off in fuel consumption above 60 mph is dramatic. At a steady prolonged 60 she gets 36.8 mpg, while at a steady 70 it's down to 28.0! I guess it's either something to do with aerodynamics (breakdown of laminar flow over the body?), or the simple fact that the engine is much less inefficient at 3,000 rpm than 2,500.
01-03-2012 05:06pm
Westy

Hello

Been busy burning fuel since car was delivered on the 8th and had limited time to add comments, now gone over the 3200 mile mark today, so far average fuel consumption has been creeping up, started at a poor 34 mpg.

Have completed over 450 miles today on some mixed roads, have been monitoring every fill and today with an average speed of 65mph have recorded average fuel consumption of 41 mpg, I am quite happy as some of this was at around 75-80.

Have seen over 10 Evoques today, one a 12 plate and very nice too.

Will continue to share my findings

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
01-03-2012 07:04pm
martinPL

I'd say that the petrol engine mpg is close to the specs by looking at the combined - 23 mpg - this is exactly what I am getting by driving 75% highway/25% rural and city. I wonder what I'd be getting if I were driving 50/50. But there is no way I could get 28 mpg on highway unless the highway is never uphill and you drive at some crazy speed of 50 mph. My average highway only is ~ 25 or 26 mpg. Every time the car needs to accelerate or fight gravity climbing even small hills the mpg goes dramatically down. This must be due to the factors like weight, aerodynamics, and the engine itself. One thing I must say that the engine is agile and handles accelerations well. The V6 3.0 L in my 2001 BMW 330i claimed similar HP - it was 225 and I was getting similar 23 mpg combined average but much higher highway mpg of 29. My 2009 S5 (with 4.2 L VCool was getting 21.0 combined average on similar roads as RRE and ~ 25 mpg on highways (but at average of ~ 80 mph). So the RRE 4 cylinder is not proportionally (based on cylinder count) economic to the other engines but for its capabilities and considering what it pushes or pulls it is not bad at all. I thought that 4 pot unit would be more economical than 6 or 8 but I should have thought about it not as a 4-cylinder engine but an engine doing job XYZ. Now, are there other similar engines equipped in similar vehicles that get better mpg? I don't know.
01-03-2012 07:10pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

From Stirling to Shap summit (up hill most of the way) average speed 68mpg and ave consumption 35.7mpg, Shap to Halewood (mainly downhill and on the flat) ave speed 69mph ave consumption 39.7mpg. Driven on the cruise control no roadworks or delays en route Aircon running. In this run it should be better even at these speeds as there was no aggressive acceleration or braking on a quiet M74 or M6

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-03-2012 08:04pm
Westy

Just a quick note that has caught me out before when talking to us colleagues about fuel efficiency

Of course in the uk we talk about mpg and the us talks about mpg.

Us mpg is miles per 3.78L (us gallon)

Uk mpg is miles per 4.54L (uk gallon)

These obviously will give you different mind set values and could explain some scary thoughts from some of the members re their figures.

Hope this helps

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
01-03-2012 08:27pm
j7david

RE: My Mpg - a bit dissappointed

(01-03-2012 05:06pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  I've been 'experimenting' for years with her previous cars (all Toyota RAVs) and the fall-off in fuel consumption above 60 mph is dramatic. At a steady prolonged 60 she gets 36.8 mpg, while at a steady 70 it's down to 28.0! I guess it's either something to do with aerodynamics (breakdown of laminar flow over the body?), or the simple fact that the engine is much less inefficient at 3,000 rpm than 2,500.

I've been very surprised about how little effect speed seems to have on my MPG readings, at least on my trip computer. On my previous A3, Civic Type R, and Aygo it always made a huge difference.

My daily commute is 2 miles of 30mph steady getting out of town, 30 miles dual carriageway, then about half a mile 30mph again. I've experimented doing the 30 mile section at 55mph, 60mph, and 70mph - each on multiple occasions - and to be honest there's hardly any difference at all.

My MPG figures on the trip computer average around 37-38mpg at 55mph, 36-37mpg at 60mph, and 35.5-36.5mpg at 70mph. Works out about £3.50/hour of my time for the extra time taken, in terms of saved petrol costs.

My "at the pump" MPG figures (above) are all a bit (~2mpg) lower than this, which probably reflects the tip meter being a bit optimistic and the fact that I do some other driving apart from my work commute.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 10:15pm by j7david.)
01-03-2012 10:14pm
RRevoqueTD4

(01-03-2012 08:27pm)Westy Wrote:  Just a quick note that has caught me out before when talking to us colleagues about fuel efficiency

These obviously will give you different mind set values and could explain some scary thoughts from some of the members re their figures.

Hope this helps

and the english drive on the left while americans on the right Wink
thx but I thik or better say I hope people know this...just use the online unit converter
all in all...the raw truth is that the car consumes more then anticipated...i love my evoque
but it drinks more then it should...period
01-03-2012 10:20pm
martinPL

(01-03-2012 08:27pm)Westy Wrote:  Just a quick note that has caught me out before when talking to us colleagues about fuel efficiency

Hope this helps

interestingly the UK and US web sites present the numbers a bit differently but still I cannot put them together.

US:
city: 18 mpg (that is US gallon I assume) - 21.6 mpg UK
highway: 28 mpg - 33.7 mpg UK
combined: 23 mpg - 27.6 mpg UK

UK:
urban: 23.7 mpg (that is UK gallon I assume) - 19.7 mpg US
extra urban: 40.9 mpg - 34 mpg US
combined: 32.5 mpg - 27 mpg US

Am I not seeing it right? Something does not add up. The numbers are for the petrol Dynamic from the respective web sites.
01-03-2012 10:49pm