Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New software update
markdartj

RE: New software update

Update (second one since I bought in May) works fine in my car. Have had no major problems, although I wish LR and Apple would get their act together. You would think that the type of person who would by a LR/RR would be the type who preferred Apple. Maybe thats just my own preferences though.

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
25-11-2014 09:32am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, Land Rover has a history of being very good at innovation and developing new technology in the automotive industry. However having been on the recieving end of incomplete developement of new technology a few times with LR products I would prefer that the product developers get it 100% right and working as anticipated before they put it into customers' cars. I am tired of having to return to the dealership for endless software updates to cure glitches on products that haven't had proper developement. I appreciate that there are some things that, no matter how much in house secret testing the car makers do, will only become an issue once a couple of hundred thousand owners have driven a lot of miles in their cars, but today's hitech electronics like in car apps don't need that sort of "in service" testing.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-11-2014 10:35am
JavierBayArea

Tim it's a British car company.

expecting the excellence or reliability of a Japanese manufacturer is setting yourself up for failure.

When i bought my Evoque, i bought it assuming it will break down on me multiple times (This forum made me believe so anyway). But that's what the warranty is for.

If you wanted reliability, the peace of mind of knowing you will not get stranded and have to call the tow truck, you really should have gone for Lexus or a Land Cruiser.

I'm really satisfied so far with Land Rover, their customer service, the software updates, etc etc. I expect my car to break down, and i expect them to fix it. no problem.
25-11-2014 07:05pm
Benziner

Sorry wrong topic
(This post was last modified: 25-11-2014 07:12pm by Benziner.)
25-11-2014 07:10pm
XFullFatTim

(25-11-2014 07:05pm)JavierBayArea Wrote:  Tim it's a British car company.

expecting the excellence or reliability of a Japanese manufacturer is setting yourself up for failure.

When i bought my Evoque, i bought it assuming it will break down on me multiple times (This forum made me believe so anyway). But that's what the warranty is for.

If you wanted reliability, the peace of mind of knowing you will not get stranded and have to call the tow truck, you really should have gone for Lexus or a Land Cruiser.

I'm really satisfied so far with Land Rover, their customer service, the software updates, etc etc. I expect my car to break down, and i expect them to fix it. no problem.

Javier, this Evoque is my 10th Land Rover car since 1996.................... it has now had more issues with quality and mechanicals than all the others put together! The only other LR car I have had that played up was a Discovery2 Auto that was forgiven it's problem as it chose to snap the drive belt for all the auxillaries on the way into the dealership to hand it back and take delivery of a shiny new Freelander1. None of the others has had so much as a squeak or rattle save a failed headlight lamp at 6 months into ownership of a Range Rover in 2003. I know LR can make well built and reliable cars but in the last 12 months they seem to have fallen off the QC tracks a bit and seem to have let quality slip in favour of rushing to get too many cars down the production line each shift. Not so long ago Halewood quality was streets ahead of the Solihull factory, not so now, Solihull leaves Halewood struggling.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-11-2014 01:59am
markdartj

(25-11-2014 10:35am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Mark, Land Rover has a history of being very good at innovation and developing new technology in the automotive industry. However having been on the recieving end of incomplete developement of new technology a few times with LR products I would prefer that the product developers get it 100% right and working as anticipated before they put it into customers' cars. I am tired of having to return to the dealership for endless software updates to cure glitches on products that haven't had proper developement. I appreciate that there are some things that, no matter how much in house secret testing the car makers do, will only become an issue once a couple of hundred thousand owners have driven a lot of miles in their cars, but today's hitech electronics like in car apps don't need that sort of "in service" testing.

Tim, I agree that "in service testing" is not the right way to go. Personally, it is annoying to me too, since a trip to the shop is at least a half day (100 mile round trip). It is what it is, and no one made me purchase an Evoque.
That being said, this is a different category of car for me. I could have gone the safe, albeit boring, route, i.e. Honda, Toyota (although that is becoming less so), but I've always wanted a British car, so with my eyes wide open, I went for it. I know about the reliability, but I've also noticed that most of the posts on this blog regarding problems seem to originate in the UK. I do wonder if perhaps the units which are built for export to the US might have to undergo a more robust final inspection. I don't know. Maybe, two updates aside, I'm lucky (touch wood). Heading south again in a few weeks for first (six mo.) service, which is offered gratis by our dealer (Still get the complimentary 1 year service. I feel fortunate that our local dealer JR/LR of Seattle, seems on top of things, and will call from time to time just to see how things are going. I like that.

I like having a unique car that everyone asks about. My FJ Cruiser (Toyota-still don't know why you don't get them) was such a car when I first got it. Now it's ubiquitous. I'll spot maybe 10 a day. I don't see that happening with the Evoque.

Also, I can't ignore the fact that while it does take my time away to have to go down to the dealer, I do get to go for a drive, and that, I am still enjoying immensely. Good luck with your Evoque, and happy motoring. Cheers.

27-11-2014 09:45am
XFullFatTim

One reason for the FJ Cruiser not coming to the UK is possibly that the market for big SUVs in the UK is heavily squewed towards diesel power and FJ was never offered with a diesel engine. They are immensely popular as I see them all over the Middle East, Pakistan and all over Africa. Now that the Japanese RHD versions are getting to 10 years old and the end of their life in Japan we are starting to see some on the UK roads but another problem that they have here is their size - they don't fit on our narrow winding roads too well.

27-11-2014 10:23am
markdartj

I hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't have thought it was any wider than a LR Disco. Interesting. Now that they've stopped production, FJ's are more poplar than ever, but perhaps that is for a different thread. On a side note, my brother -in-law asked for a full tour of our Evoque, as he is considering one for my sister. Word is getting out.

28-11-2014 07:09am
musher

Hi everyone, I was looking at TOPIx last night and noticed that not only is my car due the gearbox update, but also a Q406 Gateway module software update as well. Anyone heard of this or have had it done???

MY 14 Fuji 5 Door Dynamic SD4 9 Speed Auto Box with pano roof, auto boot, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Privacy glass, Mud Flaps, Bonnet/Boot black Lettering and 5 year service plan thrown in for good measure
28-11-2014 11:06am