Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New DRLs
CH11PY_H

New DRLs

Installed some new DRLs today in replacement for the fog lights. I'm a sucker for LEDs!

Quite a daunting job taking the bumper off and cutting into the wiring loom but all went swimmingly well. Not a bad job at all with the help from powerfuluk YouTube videos.

A little disappointed that they are a different light colour to the original DRLs but I'm sure they will grow on me.

[Image: 27f24ca01cae0513927cb46541f4dfcf.jpg]

[Image: a38f03bc9d42531b0cb98b5b50692f55.jpg]

[Image: 348048e43ee732d583731e5cc05f638c.jpg]

[Image: 751e83e3d8bf917c18f7fe2e87c03b81.jpg]

[Image: 3c0010efaad13594454331c24f713091.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-12-2016 10:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PJRComputerSolutions

RE: New DRLs

(05-12-2016 10:39pm)CH11PY_H Wrote:  Installed some new DRLs today in replacement for the fog lights. I'm a sucker for LEDs!

Quite a daunting job taking the bumper off and cutting into the wiring loom but all went swimmingly well. Not a bad job at all with the help from powerfuluk YouTube videos.

A little disappointed that they are a different light colour to the original DRLs but I'm sure they will grow on me.

[Image: 27f24ca01cae0513927cb46541f4dfcf.jpg]

[Image: a38f03bc9d42531b0cb98b5b50692f55.jpg]

[Image: 348048e43ee732d583731e5cc05f638c.jpg]

[Image: 751e83e3d8bf917c18f7fe2e87c03b81.jpg]

[Image: 3c0010efaad13594454331c24f713091.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They Do Look Really Nice...I Bought a pair myself, But Will fit them in the Spring/Summer, as it's Too Cold for me now!!!! I see that you have got the Prefacelift XENON DRL's? Can you confirm that the Wiring is as per the YouTube Video with Pin 5 Green Wire for the Live Feed, Pin 9 Black & Purple for the Black GND Wire & Pin 11 Light Blue + Grey for the Yellow Wire, as there is another JPEG on here which shows the Pin Numbers are Different!!!!

I have the HALOGENS on mine, So am Hoping that my Headlight Loom, Comes with All the Cables needed for the Mod, Otherwise I will need to rethink!!!!

Did You Snap any of the Blue/White Clips when removing any of the Wheel Arch Trims? I've Just Bought some off eBay, Just In case & I'm Looking Around for a Couple Of XENON Prefacelift Headlights, as I'll Probably Replace the HALOGENS with XENON's at the same time as removing the Bumper....Will also look into buying the IID Tool BT to Enable the XENON Option in the CCF File.....So lots Planned for when the Sun comes Out.....!!!!! Also Bought some Quick Splice Scotch Locks RED/BLUE to make it easier, rather than Soldering the Wires....

Powerfuluk have a good selection of Videos for the EVOQUE, must've watched them all a few times!!!!!

Also, Did you remove the Bumper on your Own? Or is it a 2-Man Job? & How Long did it take You? Did Everything fit back together OK afterwards??

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 01:05am by PJRComputerSolutions.)
06-12-2016 12:58am
xoz

Nice job, have bought a set myself and will be fitting over the Xmas break. I have enquires about just using them as a replacement for the OEM fogs, in this way can still utilise the dash stem switch.

Here's their reply:

"If you originally had fog lights on your car you could in theory use the fog light feed to drive the DRL's and as long as the other wire is connected to your light, they will still dim. Let me know if you want the headlight pin out so you can test this.

My only concern is what voltage is applied to the fog lights - not sure if it is the standard 12v."

Will hopefully hear back with more info soon.

Cheers

MY12 SD4 Coupe Fiji White. Manual
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 06:24am by xoz.)
06-12-2016 06:20am
CH11PY_H

(06-12-2016 12:58am)PJRComputerSolutions Wrote:  They Do Look Really Nice...I Bought a pair myself, But Will fit them in the Spring/Summer, as it's Too Cold for me now!!!! I see that you have got the Prefacelift XENON DRL's? Can you confirm that the Wiring is as per the YouTube Video with Pin 5 Green Wire for the Live Feed, Pin 9 Black & Purple for the Black GND Wire & Pin 11 Light Blue + Grey for the Yellow Wire, as there is another JPEG on here which shows the Pin Numbers are Different!!!!

I have the HALOGENS on mine, So am Hoping that my Headlight Loom, Comes with All the Cables needed for the Mod, Otherwise I will need to rethink!!!!

Did You Snap any of the Blue/White Clips when removing any of the Wheel Arch Trims? I've Just Bought some off eBay, Just In case & I'm Looking Around for a Couple Of XENON Prefacelift Headlights, as I'll Probably Replace the HALOGENS with XENON's at the same time as removing the Bumper....Will also look into buying the IID Tool BT to Enable the XENON Option in the CCF File.....So lots Planned for when the Sun comes Out.....!!!!! Also Bought some Quick Splice Scotch Locks RED/BLUE to make it easier, rather than Soldering the Wires....

Powerfuluk have a good selection of Videos for the EVOQUE, must've watched them all a few times!!!!!

Also, Did you remove the Bumper on your Own? Or is it a 2-Man Job? & How Long did it take You? Did Everything fit back together OK afterwards??

I must admit my fingers are still hurting now from working in the cold and fiddling with the screws in awkward places.

The wiring was exactly as shown in the Youtube video / pdf. I used scotch clips as you've mentioned above rather than soldering. Just requires taking the insulation of the loom back a little bit giving you plenty of room for the connections.

I managed to break two blue clips from the wheel arch trims. I too ordered some in advance as i expected this to happen. I also ordered the black push in ones with the posi screw in the middle just to replace some if they went bit slack.

Yeah I can't fault there videos they are a massive help. It says it is a two man job but I done it from start to finish on my own. The only part where you might need a second pair of hands is removing the bumper once all the screws and clips are removed and lining it back up to fit back on. My bumper isn't exactly in pristine condition though so I wasnt too worried about this.
I think the whole job took me around 3/4 hours. Its all about having the right tools, small ratchet socket sets mainly. The 4 bolts holding the bumper to the front wing are a right pain to get to but other than that I was pleasantly surprised. Everything went back together as it should apart from the two broken clips.
I keep a tub either side of the car and place the screws etc in each one so i know where its from.

Anymore questions feel free to ask!

(06-12-2016 06:20am)xoz Wrote:  Nice job, have bought a set myself and will be fitting over the Xmas break. I have enquires about just using them as a replacement for the OEM fogs, in this way can still utilise the dash stem switch.

Here's their reply:

"If you originally had fog lights on your car you could in theory use the fog light feed to drive the DRL's and as long as the other wire is connected to your light, they will still dim. Let me know if you want the headlight pin out so you can test this.

My only concern is what voltage is applied to the fog lights - not sure if it is the standard 12v."

Will hopefully hear back with more info soon.

Cheers

Car electrics go way over my head but I am happy how they are designed to work originally.

Problem with using the fog light switch to turn them on in England is it is illegal to drive with your fog lights on unless restricted visibility. Now would they be considered as fog lights if you are using the stalk to turn them on?
Only takes one jobs worth Mr Police officer to issue you a ticket.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 12:32am by CH11PY_H.)
07-12-2016 12:28am
PJRComputerSolutions

(07-12-2016 12:28am)CH11PY_H Wrote:  I managed to break two blue clips from the wheel arch trims. I too ordered some in advance as i expected this to happen. I also ordered the black push in ones with the posi screw in the middle just to replace some if they went bit slack.

Anymore questions feel free to ask!

Cheers for Confirming the Wiring Pinouts, Will make things a lot easier when I come to do it next Spring/Summer.

Have You got a Part Number or Link for the Black-Push in One's with the Posi Screw?
07-12-2016 04:09am
xoz

Car electrics go way over my head but I am happy how they are designed to work originally.

Problem with using the fog light switch to turn them on in England is it is illegal to drive with your fog lights on unless restricted visibility. Now would they be considered as fog lights if you are using the stalk to turn them on?
Only takes one jobs worth Mr Police officer to issue you a ticket.
[/quote]

Same here as per fog lights but "Mr. Po they are DRLs" , as the light intensity is different.
Powerfuluk are possibly going to put up another video "change the OEM fogs/ DRLs replacement" video. So far they are very helpful and are suggesting that it would be a pretty simply swap out. They are looking into it more for me.
Will report back when I know more.

Cheers

07-12-2016 04:22am
xoz

Great support from the team at Powerfuluk, for those that have OEM fog lights and want to keep the OEM switch to them. They work as per OEM but none the less they remain OEM.

Video:

https://youtu.be/9qbMyDABEII

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 10:25pm by xoz.)
07-12-2016 10:24pm
CH11PY_H

(07-12-2016 10:24pm)xoz Wrote:  Great support from the team at Powerfuluk, for those that have OEM fog lights and want to keep the OEM switch to them. They work as per OEM but none the less they remain OEM.

Video:

https://youtu.be/9qbMyDABEII

That didnt take them long. They sure know their stuff!

Must say I much prefer how mine are wired in meaning they are on all the while. They also act as coming home lights which look pretty cool when you look back at your car.

You won't be able to have your bright signature DRLs on and New DRLs at the same time, only when you put your sidelights on which if youve noticed your signature DRL dim on doing this.... If this makes sense Lol

(07-12-2016 04:09am)PJRComputerSolutions Wrote:  Cheers for Confirming the Wiring Pinouts, Will make things a lot easier when I come to do it next Spring/Summer.

Have You got a Part Number or Link for the Black-Push in One's with the Posi Screw?

No problem!
I purchased the posi screw fittings from Ebay. Item No 361438743335.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2016 10:58pm by CH11PY_H.)
07-12-2016 10:56pm
PJRComputerSolutions

(07-12-2016 10:56pm)CH11PY_H Wrote:  That didnt take them long. They sure know their stuff!

Must say I much prefer how mine are wired in meaning they are on all the while. They also act as coming home lights which look pretty cool when you look back at your car.

You won't be able to have your bright signature DRLs on and New DRLs at the same time, only when you put your sidelights on which if youve noticed your signature DRL dim on doing this.... If this makes sense Lol

No problem!
I purchased the posi screw fittings from Ebay. Item No 361438743335.

Cheers...Ordered
07-12-2016 11:18pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Chiipy_H, are you saying that your front fog lights are now wired to be illuminated all the time, even if there is no fog?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-12-2016 10:10am