Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New DRLs
CH11PY_H

RE: New DRLs

(08-12-2016 10:10am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Chiipy_H, are you saying that your front fog lights are now wired to be illuminated all the time, even if there is no fog?

I dont have front fog lights anymore. They've been replaced with another pair of DRLs, but yes these are wired up to be illuminated all the time, and dim when the dipped / main headlights are on.

Does this make them illegal?

As far as I am aware you only require 1 rear working fog light to pass an MOT?
08-12-2016 10:45am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RogB

Fog lights and additional driving lights not only have to meet legal requirements for when they are on etc, but also the positioning on the car.
Im not sure of the exact measurements but fogs have to be within so many centimetres in from the side and up from the ground and similar rules for driving lights.
If they fall outside of these legal zones on the front of the the car then they are deemed illegal.

DRL however don't see to have to follow the same rules, as some manufacturers have them low on the bumper (where most fogs are fitted) some integrated into the headlight unit, some fitted under the headlight etc etc etc.

However im not sure what rules apply as you already have DRL fitted in the headlight unit and if you have these on as well as the new bumper DRL what PC Plod will say about that.

having said all that................ they do look good Very Happy

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
08-12-2016 12:30pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The rules regarding lighting on cars (UK Homolgation cars) is here
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...tents/made

You might also find this website has some useful info about use of front foglights and the penalty for driving with them on when it isn't foggy! https://www.ingenie.com/young-drivers-gu...s-properly

Judging by the number of cars I see on these dark winter evenings driving around with front fogs on as driving lights (they are totally useless for that anyway except for dazzling on coming traffic) the penalty isn't issued very often. Then it is also notable how many people drive in the dark with only DRL's on and no tail lights - which was why we had a long thread on the forum about early Evoques that had front DRL's and no rear lighting even in fog.... For 2014MY LR introduced DRL tail lights on all Evoques and my 2015 RRS has them, but I think for 2016MY the feature was quietly dropped.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 01:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-12-2016 12:53pm
RogB

As you say XFullFatTim

One thing I hate about some modern cars, and particularly those with very bright front DRL , is that there is no rear DRL. The front DRL are so bright, and the dashboard is permanently lit, so people forget they haven't got their dipped beam on.
Poor vehicle design combined with poor standard of driving awareness and over reliance on technology to do it for us (auto lights, auto wipers, auto park, lane assistance etc etc) All takes away the actual required skill of driving in the real world.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
08-12-2016 01:24pm
XFullFatTim

Actually I think that those drivers are not looking at their instruments at all (could it also be the reason why so many exceed speed limits too?) ................ When you are running with DRL's only there are no warning lights on the dash, if you have the lights on then there is a small green indicator lamp in the instruments - that light even switches on when you have auto-on lights and they switch on automatically and when you have main/full beam you get a blue light on the dash. Even my 20 year old Defender has those warning lights as does my brother's 1960 Austin Healey ME3000

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 02:00pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-12-2016 01:59pm
PJRComputerSolutions

Is this another case of the "If Fitted" Rule????

I have the 2014MY Pure Tech which has only the Plastic Moulds where the Foglights are, so come MOT time in May of next Year, only the Rear Fogs will be tested???

Once I fit the Aftermarket LED DRL's will my EVOQUE then be subject to having these lights then Subject to the MOT? some people "fit" these only for show & never connect them....So will the car then fail the MOT as they are fitted but not working, or is this another "grey" area caused by EU beaurocrats????

(08-12-2016 10:45am)CH11PY_H Wrote:  I dont have front fog lights anymore. They've been replaced with another pair of DRLs, but yes these are wired up to be illuminated all the time, and dim when the dipped / main headlights are on.

Does this make them illegal?

As far as I am aware you only require 1 rear working fog light to pass an MOT?

Hi CH11P_H curious as to when your Car is due for an MOT? & if it passes with these Modifications? Will try & put a comment on the Powerfuluk YouTube Video & see if the Guys there can clarify the situation......??
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 02:20pm by PJRComputerSolutions.)
08-12-2016 02:14pm
xoz

All this talk about the legalities has got me thinking, another alternative is just to place a remote switch on the main power wire (red), with the inline fuse. I will probably end up doing it this way.

MY12 SD4 Coupe Fiji White. Manual
08-12-2016 10:33pm
CH11PY_H

New DRLs

I have done a quick search on Google and read that front fog lights are not part of an MOT check.

You are required to have one working rear fog light only.
Front are optional.

There are plenty of customisation companies out there adding DRLs on top of the original ones. Check out Urban Automotive.
I am sure if there was a legal issue then they would not do this.

My MOT is due in a march so I will let you know Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-12-2016 11:58pm
xoz

Did the DIY on the DRLs, as per permanent on setup of the initial YouTube video from Powerfuluk. Happy with this so far.

MY12 SD4 Coupe Fiji White. Manual
25-12-2016 05:42am
XFullFatTim

The only legality with front fog lights is that you must not drive with them switched on in good visibility or to dazzle other drivers, that is in the UK. IIRC it is a fixed penalty and 3 points. Certainly around here that seems to be completely ignored on both counts and I have even seen plod driving around in their patrol cars with the front fogs burning when you can see for miles...............I have never heard of anybody in the UK being fined or getting points either.

(This post was last modified: 25-12-2016 10:40am by XFullFatTim.)
25-12-2016 10:39am