Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Manual states that winter tyres are NOT needed?!
Vern

RE: Manual states that winter tyres are NOT needed?!

Agree with Stadt Panzer. The Winter Tyres perform way better than both Summer and All Weather tyres in the snow and ice. there are some good comparison videos on You Tube if you need to be convinced. Put them on my previous BMW 530d and it transformed the car in the winter even in the UK. The car stuck to the road just like Summer tyres on a warm Summer day.

Any vehicle is only as good as its traction with the ground. Whilst the Evoque is all tricked up to help in all conditions, when a 4 x 4 starts to slide, power going through all 4 wheels, it is out of control. Unless you are having loads of fun.

I have 20" rims on my Dynamic and a set of 18" Evoque rims in the garage with new Dunlop Wintersport tyres waiting for the temperature to drop some more.

Also driving in Europe a lot Winter Tyres are not just advised but law in many countries I believe.

2014 Dynamic 5dr SD4, 9 speed Auto, Indus Silver, Pano roof, Power Tailgate, Heated Stearing Wheel (brilliant ) Spare Wheel, Etc.
Traded in my 2012 model similar spec on great deal, It's that goodWink
31-10-2012 10:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It is so, no Land Rover NEEDS winter tyres, usually it is local regulations or personal preference that dictates you have them. The Snow and Ice tyres I have for the winter are also brilliant on roads streaming with rain water runoff and I have used them in mid-summer in an emergency to run from Scotland to the south of England after shredding two 20" tyres the day before on my RRS. Conversely I ran from Southampton to Stirling on 22nd December 2009 when Basingstoke got cut off from the rest of the UK with snow, the M6 and A34 were well gritted and ploughed but when I got to Gretna and the border there was 4"-8" of snow on the M74, unploughed and lines of stationary traffic, I was on my low profile 20" tyres and wheels. Police came down the lines of traffic and "released all the cars they felt could get through, just selected GGS mode on the TR and drove, totally confident, not even a flicker from the TC on unploughed snow up over Beattock and down into the Clyde Valley, very impressive drive, but I was humbled a Stirling Sevices by a guy in a Ford Focus. He commented that it was some drive we had had. I commented yes and I had driven all the way from Southampton, he said Yes I know I have stayed within sight of you all the way from Winchester and no I'm on the way to Aberdeen......... it was the first winter he had tried winter tyres and would continue to use them. I had to tell him not to bother continuing north and find a hotel as some friends of mine had just driven south from Wick in their RRS, they were allowed through the snow gates at Drumochter Pass along with some FFRR's and a Disco3 only because they had either Mud terrain or Snow tyres fitted and they had had a wonderful drive south to my house with only 3 other cars the entire length of the A9 as far as Perth.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 11:42pm by XFullFatTim.)
31-10-2012 11:40pm
Tony

Changed over to my 'Winter wheels and tyres' yesterday.
Was not sure how the standard 20" Michelin 'summer use' tyres will cope with the run up my drive in the snow, so I bought a set of 19" diamond turned wheels fitted with Pirelli Scorpian Verde All Season M&S tyres, delivery miles only for £900.
I know these are not the same as snow & ice tyres but as I do not work or have to commute I more or less choose the days I take the car out, so these should be more than I need for the winter.
These are the same wheels and tyres fitted to the Evoque we drove at Land Rover Experience, Dunkeld in February, they coped very well with the greasy mud and snow on the course so I see no point in going for full on tractor tyres, at least for the use I need.
At least I should not have any warrantee or insurance issues as when my order was placed these were available as a 'down' spec option (at no extra cost!) on the Dynamic.

Just had a run down the road to get them wet!

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
01-11-2012 04:34pm
PhilSkill

Now it's time to get your Style 6's super clean and sealed!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
01-11-2012 05:40pm
Tony

(01-11-2012 05:40pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Now it's time to get your Style 6's super clean and sealed!

Yes, will be looking through the Detailing section to see which are the best products.

Tony

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
01-11-2012 05:46pm
Easty

Re: Manual states that winter tyres are NOT needed?!

I lived in montreal in my slk55 for 2 winter with dedicated snow tyres and montreal had some big dumps of snow. I never really had problems driving in the city in 2-3" of snow sometimes in a high powered rear wheel drive car. The blizaks where brilliant. When i left mtl in march 2009 and drove to nc there was a huge snow dump over washington dc.. 4x4 suvs and trucks everywhere stuck. I weaved through everyone in my 2 door roadster and although it took 18hrs made it to nc.. Ill be getting some blizaks.. Smile

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 06:08pm by Easty.)
01-11-2012 06:02pm
PhilSkill

(01-11-2012 05:46pm)Tony Wrote:  Yes, will be looking through the Detailing section to see which are the best products.

Tony

My Wheel Thread

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
01-11-2012 06:05pm