Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wheel Cleaning Off Car
PhilSkill

Wheel Cleaning Off Car

Finally swapped wheels to summer set, and have my 6 month used style 4's about to go off for storage, But before they do I wanted to give them a good clean, and maybe get some Gtechniq C5 on them back and front.

Only washed with water so far, and the front surfaces are fine (I had applied Autoglym wheel seal immediately after delivery to front surface), but the insides and rear of spokes have some serious tar, iron spots and brake dust build up!

Whats the best way to safely clean these up again ready for either AG or C5 sealant? I dont want to apply any acid cleaners really if I can avoid.

Will put some pics up of problem areas when I have access to them.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-06-2012 12:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: Wheel Cleaning Off Car

Iron X & Tar X, as long as there fully washed off & dryed afterward & then wiped with IPA before treating with C5.
This will keep your wheels tip top for up to two year (longer in your case as there only used in winter).
For the weekly clean, just use a non acid wheel cleaner like Chemical Guys rim & wheel gel & after a few months before washing give them a light spray with some Nano wheel cleaner, I use Wolfs Nano wheel cleaner which won't damage the C5 as Gtechinq is Nano also.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
07-06-2012 09:25am
PhilSkill

Thanks doug, I will checkout those products.

Here's a pic of the awkward areas after 6 months of usage, and I missed the snowy week!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
07-06-2012 12:28pm
Chunk

I can 2nd the Iron x it's awesome stuff. I use auto finesse Oblitarate as tar remover and it is also very good. These products combined with an inch round wheel brush will sort the awkward areas you referred to!!

Ordered Feb 2012 - Orkney grey 5dr Dynamic SD4 Automatic. Lux pack, Dynamic plus Pack (velocity ebony leather) ebony headliner and gloss black finishers. Shadow chrome style 7s, heated steering wheel and a spare wheel just in case! Build date 6/7/12 delivery date 23/7/12. Built 3/7 pick up 14/7!!!!!
07-06-2012 06:32pm
Mudi1

(07-06-2012 09:25am)doug Wrote:  Iron X & Tar X, as long as there fully washed off & dryed afterward & then wiped with IPA before treating with C5.
This will keep your wheels tip top for up to two year (longer in your case as there only used in winter).
For the weekly clean, just use a non acid wheel cleaner like Chemical Guys rim & wheel gel & after a few months before washing give them a light spray with some Nano wheel cleaner, I use Wolfs Nano wheel cleaner which won't damage the C5 as Gtechinq is Nano also.

Weekly clean?????? I bought a RR due to the advert that the rain washed the car.Laughing
08-06-2012 12:46am
eddkawasaki

This reminds me that I have my winter wheels sat in the garage as they came off the car. Guess I better find the time to clean them!

I find that cleaning wheels (whether on or off the car) is one of the more difficult areas of car care as there tends to be a lot of bonded contaminants on wheels i.e. tar, brake dust etc. and all sorts of nooks and crannies to get into (a set of “PB wheel woollies” will help with this though). The temptation is always there to scrub and scrape at tar spots rather than try to dissolve them.

There’s some good information on the below website for those who are not familiar with the methods involved in “detailing” a car with pretty in depth descriptions of the processes and reasons for them. Also some nice pictures of shiny cars for those who are that way inclined Wink

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/...dvice.html
08-06-2012 07:41am
MartinP

(08-06-2012 12:46am)Mudi1 Wrote:  Weekly clean?????? I bought a RR due to the advert that the rain washed the car.Laughing

With you on this Mudi...but ours are Havana, which is a premium self cleaning paint!

Retired! SD4 Manual, Prestige 5 door, Havana with Ambiance interior, plus lux pack and spare wheel.
Arrived! SD4 Auto, Autobiography 5 door, Kaikoura Stone with Tan interior, HUD/Solar glass, ACC, Lane Departure warning, Sign recognition plus spare wheel. Built 16 March. Collected 2 April.
[Image: 129200.png]
08-06-2012 10:51am
PhilSkill

(08-06-2012 12:46am)Mudi1 Wrote:  Weekly clean?????? I bought a RR due to the advert that the rain washed the car.Laughing

Laughing I meant I missed the snowy week for getting salt and contaminants on the wheels! Even I don't clean it every week! I'm amazed how well having treated the paintwork the rain does actually keep it clean!

11-06-2012 09:09pm
PhilSkill

Couldnt get Iron X in time, but got some Turtle Wax ICE Wheel clean, seems to be the same ph neutral purple dissolving effect of Iron X, and the gTechniq C5 turned up with some pre-cleaner so will try to get a few pics of the process in the coming days for anyone interested, weather allowing.

13-06-2012 11:23pm
PhilSkill

1 Wheel done with the turtle wax ICE, works pretty well just a few problem areas to get into somehow. Amazed at how much pitting there is on the rear painted surface of the spokes.

Setup ready for cleaning the Insides

Leave for a few minutes

Agitate with a wheel brush

Rinse down, a lot removed but a few awkward corners to get still

Fronts looking sparkling!

14-06-2012 07:50am