Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MY14 Mirror Size v Original
Donny Dog

RE: MY14 Mirror Size v Original

(28-11-2013 11:03am)mocha Wrote:  hi guys, i've been considering on purchasing this vehicle and have tested this a few times but the main concern was these side mirrors!

with the new downsized my2014 side mirrors will this eliminate this problem??

Hopefully, but it's difficult to judge from the photos. Is the improvement supposed to be being able to see between the mirror and the 'A' pillar now, I can't quite work out what the new view will be like? If it allows the mirror to fold in better, that will also be a benefit.

You are right to be concerned if you experience this problem, though. My wife and I both have difficulty, and have to resort to 'rising' out of the seat to manoeuvre at junctions, roundabouts, etc. The blind spots are both annoying and potentially dangerous.

It begs the question that if these smaller mirrors are in compliance, why did they have to be so big in the first place?
28-11-2013 11:42am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benzina

(28-11-2013 07:58am)BA74 Wrote:  Agree it looks like the actual glass is the same. Love the visibility of the old so this could be a win win!
Does the new still have the indicator light built into the mirror? Can't see it?

No, if you look closely,the glass (mirror) is a slightly different shape to the original in keeping with the new shell casings redesigned trimmed & tapered shape.
So i'm thinking they just need to offer the casing + mirror and internals (minus extender arm) for retro fitting to the existing extender arm that it pivots on...if indeed that part is still the exactly the same. We need to find this out, cause as i said before, if LD were smart enough,they would have designed it this way to also allow for a retro fit market too.

(28-11-2013 11:42am)Donny Dog Wrote:  Hopefully, but it's difficult to judge from the photos. Is the improvement supposed to be being able to see between the mirror and the 'A' pillar now, I can't quite work out what the new view will be like? If it allows the mirror to fold in better, that will also be a benefit.

You are right to be concerned if you experience this problem, though. My wife and I both have difficulty, and have to resort to 'rising' out of the seat to manoeuvre at junctions, roundabouts, etc. The blind spots are both annoying and potentially dangerous.

It begs the question that if these smaller mirrors are in compliance, why did they have to be so big in the first place?

Unlike that video on the previous page where he seems to have an issue with a rear view blind spot (don't know why cause if anything, the huge mirror size allows for more rear vision,and he could have got BSM as well), no, the real issue has always been the forward vision - between mirror and A pillar and over the huge shell casing. As we can now see in the pics,the new casing appears to have opened up forward vision over and around it.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 01:05am by benzina.)
28-11-2013 11:47am
mocha

i'm thinking of getting the base model and it doesnt come with BSM unfortunately!
28-11-2013 12:03pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

On my Defender I have self adhesive (it must be good glue as they have been there for 17 years!) circular blind spot mirrors stuck on the bottom inside corner of the mirror glass, they work really well and cost very little.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-11-2013 12:09pm
rchrdleigh

(28-11-2013 10:23am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Why, why why did they change the Range Rover graphic in the driver info screen to Land Rover - last year LR spent fortunes trying to separate the brands and now we've gone backwards. Change for change's sake, there was nothing wrong with reminding us we were driving a Range Rover - if I want to drive a Land Rover I would buy a Defender or a Freelander or a Disco but I drive a RANGE ROVER. The cost to change the graphic would have been better spent making the rear lights into DLR's

Tim.
The reason they changed back is because Mr Tata (the Owner) pointed out in pretty forceful terms that he bought Land Rover and that he did not want Range Rover to be marketed as a separate company. Hence, the reason that all the cars have Land Rover badges on the radiator grills and then the brand on the bonnet, Range Rover is the case of the premium models Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Evoque, Discovery in the case at the moment of Discovery and in future other Discovery models and also in the future Defender in the case of the more utilitarian models.

Richard
28-11-2013 12:17pm
Davevx

Oh dear don't people test drive these things before they buy them?

Not sure I would buy something I couldn't see out of!
28-11-2013 12:59pm
MarkA_

(28-11-2013 12:59pm)Davevx Wrote:  Oh dear don't people test drive these things before they buy them?

Not sure I would buy something I couldn't see out of!

Exactly what I was thinking. The video is more like a "what I didn't pay attention to during my test drive" admission.
28-11-2013 02:28pm
Donny Dog

(28-11-2013 12:59pm)Davevx Wrote:  Oh dear don't people test drive these things before they buy them?

Some people order new cars even before they are available to see, let alone test drive, and advance orders on Evoques must have been the same (I have done this myselff, although not with the Evoque).

(28-11-2013 12:59pm)Davevx Wrote:  Not sure I would buy something I couldn't see out of!

In the Evoque test drive, which I shared with my wife, I only negotiated a few awkward corners and no doubt believed (I can't recall!) that it was just the unaccustomed driving position and/or mirror design and that I'd get used to it. Having said that, I didn't particularly like the Evoque anyway, and still don't, but the car was for my wife and she made the decision to purchase it.
28-11-2013 03:44pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(28-11-2013 12:17pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  Tim.
The reason they changed back is because Mr Tata (the Owner) pointed out in pretty forceful terms that he bought Land Rover and that he did not want Range Rover to be marketed as a separate company. Hence, the reason that all the cars have Land Rover badges on the radiator grills and then the brand on the bonnet, Range Rover is the case of the premium models Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Evoque, Discovery in the case at the moment of Discovery and in future other Discovery models and also in the future Defender in the case of the more utilitarian models.

Richard

Hi Richard, I can understand the tail and grille badging - but in the bit the driver see's most? I'm sure that Mr Tata doesn't sign off the dash board displays for all his cars, what will be will be, at least it disappears as soon as you start the engine! Don't get me wrong I don't deny it's a Land Rover product but after many years of owning Range Rovers I think it devalues the brand of Range Rover by constantly reminding owners that they have a luxury car made by a maker of utility vehicles.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-11-2013 03:55pm
RacingSnake

Plus I thought the decision was that the range rovers would have the black& silver LR logo, not the green on Very Happy

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
28-11-2013 03:59pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply