Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket
tron515

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

I posted earlier on here about my storage device and what I had to do with all my music and video to work.

I had to place tracks into folders to play them all.

Tron515, if it isn't technical it might not happen.

Pure SD4 Automatic, 4WD, Tech Pack, Indus Silver, Ebony Grained Leather.
06-10-2012 10:08am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
autodidact

RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

Quote:SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB (not recommended - see post below by Phillskill)
I've been running one without any hiccups since we got the car mid August. I've got some music in a folder that we have played through numerous times already, and I've got some videos (cartoons) in another one that we've watched a couple of times while waiting for people.

Just had to buy one of these as it suits the interior of our car perfectly, although it's not visible when in use. I remember looking through some specs in the manual about the file system before purchasing it as I had the impression (perhaps wrongly) that 32 GB would be a maximum volume size.

{Checking}

Nope, the system supports FAT32, meaning it should be capable of addressing up to 2 TB — when that arrives as a memory stick. 8o)
09-10-2012 06:03pm
cjfp

Just seen on the 'hidden service menu' video that one of the headings is "USB File Browser" - gonna go play to see if there are any user config things here that might speed initial access up.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
28-10-2012 09:17pm
cjfp

Have looked and my menu is greyed out so can go no further

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
29-10-2012 01:51pm
PhilSkill

Seems my 32GB stick also works in the new Discovery, with exactly the same Entertainment system... Just drove for an hour with not a lockup or issue... grrrr. Maybe after my service all will magically be better... I can only hope.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-11-2012 10:44am
PhilSkill

(12-11-2012 10:44am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Seems my 32GB stick also works in the new Discovery, with exactly the same Entertainment system... Just drove for an hour with not a lockup or issue... grrrr. Maybe after my service all will magically be better... I can only hope.

So far the 32Gb stick has been working since the service for 1/2 hour in my Evoque, normally crashed in 2 songs so fingers crossed I have had latest software and can finally use > 4Gb! Very Happy

Dare I attach my 500Gb toughdrive... maybe not yet, pidgeon steps for now till I build confidence in the software again.

Cjfp have you had your first service yet?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
13-11-2012 12:19am
cjfp

No, not yet - what's yr load time like (and how much data on stick?)

Looks like a dirty weekend in S-on-A may be on the cards. Failing that, I may take the wife !

(This post was last modified: 13-11-2012 12:27am by cjfp.)
13-11-2012 12:23am
Easty

Re: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

Im wondering if the instabilities people are having is due to the power supplied via the usb. Different memory controllers working better with the low or unmodulated power.

Maybe better if trying ext hd to try one with its own power supply.

Ive had these kind of instabilities when using unpowered usb hubs.

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
13-11-2012 12:26am
PhilSkill

(13-11-2012 12:23am)cjfp Wrote:  No, not yet - what's yr load time like (and how much data on stick?)

Looks like a dirty weekend in S-on-A may be on the cards. Failing that, I may take the wife !

Laughing Its a nice place to visit anyway, with or without your other half cjfp. Although I doubt they themselves are the key, just the fact they did what should be done... well except fix the rattles! At least now I can carry enough music to drown out the incessant rattle!
(13-11-2012 12:26am)Easty Wrote:  Maybe better if trying ext hd to try one with its own power supply.

Maybe, the only power supply is the 12v aux socket... depends if LR wired that seperate to the USB power lines? They hopefully would have since USB is quite fussy electrically.

(This post was last modified: 13-11-2012 12:42am by PhilSkill.)
13-11-2012 12:36am
Easty

Re: RE: List of Memory sticks & micro-drives that will/will not work in Evoque's USB socket

(13-11-2012 12:36am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Laughing Its a nice place to visit anyway, with or without your other half cjfp. Although I doubt they themselves are the key, just the fact they did what should be done... well except fix the rattles! At least now I can carry enough music to drown out the incessant rattle!

Maybe, the only power supply is the 12v aux socket... depends if LR wired that seperate to the USB power lines? They hopefully would have since USB is quite fussy electrically.

Well if its to spec the usb should be .5amps if its usb 1 or 2(most likely). 3 is .9 amps i think..

A charger or dumb usb will provide 1.5amps. But i think its more probably the regulation of the power than the lack of it that effects the usb sticks. A little self powered 12v usb hub may work better.

Edit: I had a quick look at a few USB sticks on the PC and they were all below 100mA, where the USB can provide 500ma at 5v (with a usage of 2.5w). If they used a crappy dc converter from 12v maybe this coupled with the more sensitive memory sticks causes instability. i looked at a 1tb USB(no external power) drive and it was 400ma so probably needs a hub. Looking forward to messing in a couple of months.
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2012 03:25am by Easty.)
13-11-2012 01:18am