Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Anyone Making Poor Consumption a Issue With Dealer?
Sarcastrix

RE: Is Anyone Making Poor Consumption a Issue With Dealer?

Just been reading on the XF forum (my dad has one) that dealers are now basically admitting the 2.2d is for company car drivers and the quoted mpg are`t realistically achievable. The 3.0d is better.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
12-04-2012 04:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dave_T

(11-04-2012 12:49pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Yes 99mpg will be a capped limit on the display, when your foot is off the throttle the injectors will not be firing and so no fuel will be going in other than anything needed to wet the cylinders, this gives effectively distance divided by fuel used which is a divide by zero error giving infinity so it's capped at 99mpg for 2 digit display rather than infinity. Some cars show --- instead.

Coasting in Neutral will use more fuel than rolling in gear off throttle, as the engine will go into idle when declutched and use fuel rather than being drivin by the drivetrain and needing no fuel. Obviously the fuelling requirements will be different with Automatics to Manuals.

This is not quite the whole story ... when coasting in gear engine braking will occur, whereas coasting out of gear it will not, so whilst fuel will be used to keep the engine running, the car will travel further and so use less fuel. Coasting in gear the fuel will only shut off if above a certain RPM, typically about 1000.

Back to the plot ...

Yes, I took the issue up with my dealer, and they resolved my issue Thumbs Up
Far better to discuss with them & resolve than just carry on feeling bitter.

(12-04-2012 04:15pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Just been reading on the XF forum (my dad has one) that dealers are now basically admitting the 2.2d is for company car drivers and the quoted mpg are`t realistically achievable. The 3.0d is better.

I'd agree that the V6 (in my case the 2.7 in the Disco 3) is more efficient than the 2.2d
2.8tonne D3 at 70mph = 30mpg = Mr. Green
1.8tonne RRE at 62mph = 38mpg = Sad
Both are 190bhp, both manual, driving the same road.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 07:50pm by Dave_T.)
12-04-2012 07:44pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Just done 385 miles on 44ltrs, 39mpg at average speed of 65mph, for one brief spell I managed to get the trip average mpg up to 48, which is my best ever, but lasted about 3 minutes on a long downhill with my foot off the gas pedal, coasting in gear (it's and automatic so shifting to neutral isn't really a clever thing to do with them!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 07:51pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-04-2012 07:51pm
ED209

Just filled in the landrover customer service questionaire. Mentioned that consumption doesnt seem to be anywhere near the figures. (i did mention its very early days though as far as my car car goes)

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
12-04-2012 08:09pm
WorldTraveler

Hmmm ... Im not best pleased with consumption compared to "Quoted" MPG, drove down to Royston from Newcastle and back, 65mph on Cruise Control most of the way and I get 37.2mpg ...

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
12-04-2012 08:12pm
Donny Dog

(12-04-2012 08:12pm)WorldTraveler Wrote:  Hmmm ... Im not best pleased with consumption compared to "Quoted" MPG, drove down to Royston from Newcastle and back, 65mph on Cruise Control most of the way and I get 37.2mpg ...

You are better off not using cruise control if you want the best fuel economy - you are better than it is at judging engine strain and getting a feel for what to do on the throttle, such as when to ease off slightly uphill and maybe speed up a little down hill, whereas the cruise control will just battle on regardless. (If, however, you have a lead foot, then the cruise control might be the best worst option!)
12-04-2012 08:28pm
Belvoirbloke

Yes, I agree cruise control guzzles gas.

lover’s tiff over Razz
Prestige SD4 auto, 5DR, Orkney Grey, Ivory/Dark Cherry/Pano/Power Tailgate
13-04-2012 07:33am
mark_n

Invaluable for driving through average speed monitoring though. Some say these don't work, I'm not going to take the risk.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
13-04-2012 07:46am
ED209

(12-04-2012 07:44pm)Dave_T Wrote:  This is not quite the whole story ... when coasting in gear engine braking will occur, whereas coasting out of gear it will not, so whilst fuel will be used to keep the engine running, the car will travel further and so use less fuel. Coasting in gear the fuel will only shut off if above a certain RPM, typically about 1000.

Back to the plot ...

Yes, I took the issue up with my dealer, and they resolved my issue Thumbs Up
Far better to discuss with them & resolve than just carry on feeling bitter.

I'd agree that the V6 (in my case the 2.7 in the Disco 3) is more efficient than the 2.2d
2.8tonne D3 at 70mph = 30mpg = Mr. Green
1.8tonne RRE at 62mph = 38mpg = Sad
Both are 190bhp, both manual, driving the same road.

How did they resolve your issues?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
13-04-2012 07:54am
Dave_T

(13-04-2012 07:54am)ED209 Wrote:  How did they resolve your issues?

I'm no longer the owner of an Evoque Very Happy
13-04-2012 10:58pm