Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Anyone Making Poor Consumption a Issue With Dealer?
Land Rover Techy

RE: Is Anyone Making Poor Consumption a Issue With Dealer?

(10-04-2012 01:45pm)scottie99 Wrote:  I have copmplained to the Service Manager at my dealership about my fuel returns (about 30-SD4 auto).

He has passed it on to LR and is taking the car in next week when a 'new patch file' will be applied to the car.

I am somewhat sceptical that this will make a difference, but regardless I am not going to accept the current fuel situation.

Has anyone else escalated their complaints?

Hi,

Dealers use specially designed laptops with cables and software to talk to the car etc.
The software comes in Disk Number, Patch File, File Versio
for Example the Disk Number could be 100 Patch File 01 File Version 102 Etc
Putting a new patch file onto the laptop is often done to keep the software program on the laptop up to date and does change things etc,

Maybe there is a later software for your car which is included within this patch file

Let me know what happens
Thanks

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
14-04-2012 10:40am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

(14-04-2012 10:40am)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Hi,

Dealers use specially designed laptops with cables and software to talk to the car etc.
The software comes in Disk Number, Patch File, File Versio
for Example the Disk Number could be 100 Patch File 01 File Version 102 Etc
Putting a new patch file onto the laptop is often done to keep the software program on the laptop up to date and does change things etc,

Maybe there is a later software for your car which is included within this patch file

Let me know what happens
Thanks

So how do we know if there is a later patch file for our car and why aren't they routinely applied when a car is at the dealer?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-04-2012 12:15pm
jitenc

(10-04-2012 01:45pm)scottie99 Wrote:  I have copmplained to the Service Manager at my dealership about my fuel returns (about 30-SD4 auto).

He has passed it on to LR and is taking the car in next week when a 'new patch file' will be applied to the car.

I am somewhat sceptical that this will make a difference, but regardless I am not going to accept the current fuel situation.

Has anyone else escalated their complaints?

let me know how you get along. i am driving as how a normal car should be driven especially in London. i guess mine will always be on 28.1 mpg. i am not using all the mod coms at full blast either....

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
14-04-2012 12:37pm
stiggz

I've been testing this out since last fill up with my SD4. Halfway thru the tank im sitting at 32mpg. I have been trying to drive as conservatively as possible and have done quite a bit of uninterupted fwy driving. Considering the advertised milage I don't see how its possible to hit the mark. Not unless you're constantly driving down hill...

I don't see the point of making a complaint either. There really needs to be proper regulation of the figures.

On a side note. I've noticed that if you're driving in auto mode the car runs near 2k rev in 5th gear for a long time when its not necessary (cruising down fwy at 60mph). Using the flappy paddles only will be my next test.
16-04-2012 06:02am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Stiggz, I have noticed mine doing this - sometimes it goes up to 6th automatically sometimes it doesn't and I'm driving the same route most days. Yesterday I accelerated away and the box wouldn't shift above 4th automatically until it got to the rev limiter and I was definitely in D and "highway" not Dynamic setting on the TR. It happened 3 times yesterday afternoon.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-04-2012 08:50am
Donny Dog

(16-04-2012 08:50am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Stiggz, I have noticed mine doing this - sometimes it goes up to 6th automatically sometimes it doesn't and I'm driving the same route most days. Yesterday I accelerated away and the box wouldn't shift above 4th automatically until it got to the rev limiter and I was definitely in D and "highway" not Dynamic setting on the TR. It happened 3 times yesterday afternoon.

Is this part of the 'learning' process the gearbox goes through? Mine actually changes up to 6th. too early quite often now (at about 1600 rpm), at which point it often struggles and I have to drop a gear manually. It certainly does seem that, in general, Evoques don't quite know how to handle that crucial range of revs. approaching 2,000 in typical conditions at which they occur.
16-04-2012 09:13am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Donny, this gearbox is unlike any other "adaptive" gearbox that I have had in my previous 3 RR's yet it is the same model......... it just doesn't seem to like to "adapt" to the way I drive, sometimes it will go for weeks with changing up when it seems like it has remembered what I like it to do and then for no apparent reason it will start behaving like somebody had disconnected the battery and the ECU has lost all it's memory and has to start learning from scratch.
I suspect yesterday was one of those days! When mine was new (it now has 7900 miles on it since last September) it would would do what you describe and then after forcing it back into 5th it learned to change up at 2000 revs and has generally behaved itself for weeks on end. I wonder if the ECU memory has changed so it suffers from selective amnesia and forgets everything every 3-4 months!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-04-2012 09:42am
Donny Dog

(16-04-2012 09:42am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Donny, this gearbox is unlike any other "adaptive" gearbox that I have had in my previous 3 RR's yet it is the same model......... it just doesn't seem to like to "adapt" to the way I drive, sometimes it will go for weeks with changing up when it seems like it has remembered what I like it to do and then for no apparent reason it will start behaving like somebody had disconnected the battery and the ECU has lost all it's memory and has to start learning from scratch.
I suspect yesterday was one of those days! When mine was new (it now has 7900 miles on it since last September) it would would do what you describe and then after forcing it back into 5th it learned to change up at 2000 revs and has generally behaved itself for weeks on end. I wonder if the ECU memory has changed so it suffers from selective amnesia and forgets everything every 3-4 months!

One thing is for certain, it's not the best automatic gearbox I've experienced! Mine also exhibits occasional indecision (or incorrect decision), for example picking entirely the wrong gear to pull away regardless of the fact that I'm pressing the accelerator in my normal way. By contrast, I have a Mercedes 500SL and I can't even detect when it changes gear!

I think one of the problems is that the gearbox just doesn't suit the engine, and has been allocated the wrong gear change positions in general. Maybe a seven or eight speed would be better. I must say, I was fooled by the 'concept' car promotion of the Evoque and it's ostensible sophisticated technology into believing (without ever looking into it properly - my fault of course) that it would have the last word in engine and gearbox technology. Indeed, I assumed that technology lay behind the marvelous fuel consumption figures!!!
16-04-2012 12:00pm
jitenc

(16-04-2012 09:42am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Donny, this gearbox is unlike any other "adaptive" gearbox that I have had in my previous 3 RR's yet it is the same model......... it just doesn't seem to like to "adapt" to the way I drive, sometimes it will go for weeks with changing up when it seems like it has remembered what I like it to do and then for no apparent reason it will start behaving like somebody had disconnected the battery and the ECU has lost all it's memory and has to start learning from scratch.

So let me get this straight. For any automatics, the gears should change after every 2k revs? Also , can remapping help in terms of the gear change scenario? Sorry, for being sounding naive about engines..

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
16-04-2012 02:00pm
WorldTraveler

Over 1200 Miles on the clock and the engine seems to be loosening up ... consumption now at 39.2 MPG Wink

(And thats WITH Cruise Control) ...

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
16-04-2012 04:19pm