Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Illegally spaced number plate
Evo-king

RE: Illegally spaced number plate

Aside from the issue of taste re cherished plates and the legality of letter spacing.

The key feature here is how rules are 'relaxed' to generate more number plate sales/rentals (you never fully own the plate), so more revenue generated for the DVLA. Don't get me started on taxation.

The other thing I've noticed with cherised plates, is how each time you change your vehicle the DVLA seem to have changed their admin procedures, also you are paying £80 or £105 to keep/transfer your plate.

OK, I can just about live with that, it's still a high admin charge but if they charge you this much, how come it still takes 1 to 6 weeks to sort this all out. Everything is computerised and linked to other databases, insurance companies change your details immediately and your certificate of insurance is in your in box in minutes. Order something on line, pay next day delivery and you get it the next day for a minimal charge. With cherished plates it's a couple of pieces of paper. RANT over.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
12-07-2012 08:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Token

(11-07-2012 09:29pm)ED209 Wrote:  Looks like the evoque is not for me,its image is all wrong, too many vain owners with barried up plates, think i might stick it up for sale and buy a nice SAAB. They seem to be driven by people with a bit of good taste. Very rarely see a SAAB with a chav plate.

Ha ha...you're right...the sandals with socks as sported by most Saab drivers demonstrates their impeccable taste! Laughing

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
12-07-2012 11:02am
griff

Well I am very happy with my plate. It is in standard font and spacing and conveniently displays my initials with R1 being the start of Richard.

It was a 55th birthday present from a whole group of friends who clubbed together to buy it (£350) and as they know I'm into my cars I thought it was a really clever present as it will remind me of the kindness and friendship shown to me for the rest of my life.
Plus as I get older it will be easy to remember!!

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 11:09am by griff.)
12-07-2012 11:08am
speary

(12-07-2012 08:46am)Evo-king Wrote:  Aside from the issue of taste re cherished plates and the legality of letter spacing.

The key feature here is how rules are 'relaxed' to generate more number plate sales/rentals (you never fully own the plate), so more revenue generated for the DVLA. Don't get me started on taxation.

The other thing I've noticed with cherised plates, is how each time you change your vehicle the DVLA seem to have changed their admin procedures, also you are paying £80 or £105 to keep/transfer your plate.

OK, I can just about live with that, it's still a high admin charge but if they charge you this much, how come it still takes 1 to 6 weeks to sort this all out. Everything is computerised and linked to other databases, insurance companies change your details immediately and your certificate of insurance is in your in box in minutes. Order something on line, pay next day delivery and you get it the next day for a minimal charge. With cherished plates it's a couple of pieces of paper. RANT over.
Mine was done in less than a week using Preston DVLA centre

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-07-2012 12:42pm
ED209

(12-07-2012 11:08am)griff Wrote:  Well I am very happy with my plate. It is in standard font and spacing and conveniently displays my initials with R1 being the start of Richard.

It was a 55th birthday present from a whole group of friends who clubbed together to buy it (£350) and as they know I'm into my cars I thought it was a really clever present as it will remind me of the kindness and friendship shown to me for the rest of my life.
Plus as I get older it will be easy to remember!!

I might be an uneducated oik but i think Richard starts with RI not R1?

So unless you change your name to R1CHARD your plate says nothing and therefore meets my chav criteria.It personal taste though, whilst some people like to look good and are happy with that I would rather spend £350 on something with a practical purpose. Each to their own i suppose.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 03:40pm by ED209.)
12-07-2012 03:31pm
Pricy147

(12-07-2012 03:31pm)ED209 Wrote:  I might be an uneducated oik but i think Richard starts with RI not R1?

So unless you change your name to R1CHARD your plate says nothing and therefore meets my chav criteria.It personal taste though, whilst some people like to look good and are happy with that I would rather spend £350 on something with a practical purpose. Each to their own i suppose.

Anyone with half a braincell can tell R1CHARD would equal RICHARD - even though this is not a legal / compliant reg mark against current or former DVLA VRM standards.

....and how to you define Chav in number plate terms? Would A1 be chav? Would BMW1 be chav? Would BA11OON be chav? Would TR08PER be chav ? Personally the two most irritating things on the road for me are (1) slow drivers, and worse still (2) hesitant drivers. Much rather see people with private (sorry chav) plates, or doing a few miles per hour over the speed limit - but in control, and concentrating on the road (instead of concentrating on the speedo whilst going through a speed detector).

good luck with getting parts on your new Saab by the way! LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Edit....nearly forgot : I would call buying a plate for £400 off DVLA, and selling it for £20k a good investment too (this happened with the plate SN08KER). Many private plates fall into investment criteria.

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 04:03pm by Pricy147.)
12-07-2012 04:01pm
cjfp

As I said - time to agree to disagree and move on.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
12-07-2012 04:09pm
griff

(12-07-2012 03:31pm)ED209 Wrote:  I might be an uneducated oik but i think Richard starts with RI not R1?

I think it's great that everyone has an opinion and I'm equally glad that folks can voice them on here.
As I said this was a present so I had no option to spend the money elsewhere.
I am one of those souls who has three forenames so you can imagine R1*** works fine and does not look too bad.
OK time to move on.
Cheers

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
12-07-2012 05:00pm
evoquemayne

Exactly, each to their own. No one cares about your personal "Chav criteria", or that Terrorists will take over the Houses of Parliament if we allow number plate spacing to change.

I don't condone the outrageous plates I have seen in the past which are in fact problematic for cameras, but spacing is something completely tolerable. There are fewer coppers on the street every day and there are much more worthwhile battles to be had than Chav hunting and weeding out the vanity plate fiends.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 06:21pm by evoquemayne.)
12-07-2012 06:14pm
Kentboy

(11-07-2012 08:59pm)ED209 Wrote:  Did the police confirm this or is it just what you think happened? I would be very very suprised if they divulged locations of static anpr cameras to you as they are not supposed to. Yes a keen eye that knows what its looking for can spot them but their locations are not meant to be given out willy nilly.

They probably never commented on the spacing as they had some compassion, it would be a bit much hitting you with a ticket when you had just had your car nicked! When group 4 take over policing though such discretion will disappear.
The location was given as the Dartford crossing and I even saw the photo!

(12-07-2012 04:01pm)Pricy147 Wrote:  Anyone with half a braincell can tell R1CHARD would equal RICHARD - even though this is not a legal / compliant reg mark against current or former DVLA VRM standards.

....and how to you define Chav in number plate terms? Would A1 be chav? Would BMW1 be chav? Would BA11OON be chav? Would TR08PER be chav ? Personally the two most irritating things on the road for me are (1) slow drivers, and worse still (2) hesitant drivers. Much rather see people with private (sorry chav) plates, or doing a few miles per hour over the speed limit - but in control, and concentrating on the road (instead of concentrating on the speedo whilst going through a speed detector).

good luck with getting parts on your new Saab by the way! LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Edit....nearly forgot : I would call buying a plate for £400 off DVLA, and selling it for £20k a good investment too (this happened with the plate SN08KER). Many private plates fall into investment criteria.

SAAB drivers seem to be irritating as well!

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 07:50pm by Kentboy.)
12-07-2012 07:22pm