Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Illegally spaced number plate
ED209

RE: Illegally spaced number plate

(11-07-2012 07:47pm)BobM Wrote:  A little word of warning about mis-spacing/mis-representing/wrong size, font etc. Get caught once you will probably get the chance to have it rectified if its not too outrageous. Get caught again and you run the risk of having your plate recalled by DVLA with no refund and the possibility of your car being issued with a non transferable number or worse a Q plate - as well as the fine that will undoubtedly go with it.

Q plates are not issues unless a vehicle is entirley made of parts that are unidentifiable as being from any particular vehicle 1.e no vin or engine number. The car would simply be placed on a standard age related plate, which of course you could change if you wanted at your expense.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
11-07-2012 08:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kentboy

(11-07-2012 10:49am)ED209 Wrote:  A bad move in my opion, just means the idiots will take the mick even more. Some of the plates people think they can get away with at the min bear no resemblance at all to what they are actually meant to say, this will only get worse.

It will also cause issues for ANPR cameras, after all if the camera doesnt read your plate when your car is reported stolen because its chavved up it might prevent your stolen car getting recovered. It will also make it harder for witnesses to get correct reg numbers of cars involved in fail to stop accidents.

To be honest I think it should be classed as a mod by insurance companies and should increase/invalidate your insurance. A persons vanity should not take priority over the prevention of crime/terrorism, the recovery of stolen property or the apprehension of offenders.

Interesting as my previous RRS had an illegally spaced plate though as I have said I always use legal font and do not add screws etc. that RRS was stollen and was tracked very easily by the police on their ANPR cameras and was found in Barking. The police never commented at all on the spacing and it had no effect on the ANPR ability to read the plate.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
11-07-2012 08:54pm
cjfp

I think this is one of those topics where we will all have to agree to disagree.

Those that do it, know what's right and what's wrong (as per the law) and enter into the changes knowing this and should therefore be willing to accept any consequences.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-07-2012 08:58pm
Kentboy

(11-07-2012 12:12pm)Token Wrote:  I got pulled for having an incorrectly spaced plate a few years ago...the PC who pulled me was a mature chap who spoke to me like I was his son (in a nice way rather than in a condescending way)...he asked me to get it changed as soon as I could and told me to be on my way. I asked whether or not he was going to give me a producer to which he replied 'I'm sure you won't let me down, I trust you'...foolish perhaps, but actually made me feel bad (it would have been like letting my dad down!) so I changed it within 24hrs and have never had an incorrectly spaced plate since!

I do now have a personalised plate again which spells my company name...not vanity, but good advertising. And it certainly doesn't make my car look newer, as I needed a double LL so it looks like an 11 plate rather than a 61 that it should be!

Personalised plates certainly divide opinion...let's face it, they are well known as Vanity plates...and I am torn on them. I used to think they were cool (hence why I had a plate incorrectly spaced to spell my name) but then when I changed it (thanks to dad PC) I thought they were really crap and lame...now I figure that whilst it is all about vanity, so are many things...that's why we have bigger wheels that make the car more uncomfortable, that's why we select a colour at a cost when white would be free, etc etc. Ultimately, if I could afford a Phantom with VR1 as a number plate I would...and I suspect most people would if they are honest (albeit, most would probably change the initials!!)

Spot on.....agree

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
11-07-2012 08:58pm
ED209

(11-07-2012 08:54pm)Kentboy Wrote:  Interesting as my previous RRS had an illegally spaced plate though as I have said I always use legal font and do not add screws etc. that RRS was stollen and was tracked very easily by the police on their ANPR cameras and was found in Barking. The police never commented at all on the spacing and it had no effect on the ANPR ability to read the plate.

Did the police confirm this or is it just what you think happened? I would be very very suprised if they divulged locations of static anpr cameras to you as they are not supposed to. Yes a keen eye that knows what its looking for can spot them but their locations are not meant to be given out willy nilly.

They probably never commented on the spacing as they had some compassion, it would be a bit much hitting you with a ticket when you had just had your car nicked! When group 4 take over policing though such discretion will disappear.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
11-07-2012 08:59pm
RacingSnake

It might have already been said, as I haven't really read the thread...
but
There are proposals to remove the restriction on number plate spacing.
Personally, as long as the font is fine and the letters haven't been bastardised, I don't see an issue with it.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
11-07-2012 09:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

@racingsnake - I concur.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-07-2012 09:10pm
ED209

Looks like the evoque is not for me,its image is all wrong, too many vain owners with barried up plates, think i might stick it up for sale and buy a nice SAAB. They seem to be driven by people with a bit of good taste. Very rarely see a SAAB with a chav plate.

11-07-2012 09:29pm
Kentboy

Found this on another website:-

26/03/12
Rules on Vanity Plates Relaxed
Source : Sunday Times 25 March 2012

Owners of personalised numberplates will be allowed to move letters and numbers closer together to more easily spell words under a relaxation of the rules to be announced in the summer.

The change will allow more words to be created - potentially boosting government coffers.

e.g with the numberplates TA11 EST (tallest). Under the proposal, the two clumps of characters could be combined to read TA11EST. This could add greatly to the price. Owners would still not be allowed to change the font.

"There is demand from the public and this is an income stream the Treasury is keen to have," said the Department for Transport (DfT). "There is a bit of almost hypocrisy that we are selling plates and prosecuting [owners] if they push the numbers together."

The Association of Chief Police Officers warned that the move could reduce the accuracy of numberplate recognition cameras. But the DfT said the plates would remain readable.

11-07-2012 09:31pm
jitenc

Had a private number plate for 8 years, with ofcourse, spacing. The spacing allowed my name to be spelt which was much easier to remember than letters and numbers..
Though I do not agree with changing fonts or using screws to disguise a name, I do not see the harm in spacing.
I had the number plate once ripped off the car due to some jealous *#%#, I had no option but to report to the police.
So every time I got stopped by the police, was due to my number appearing as stolen on the On board computer. It was more stress driving with a private number plate than a standard issue one...
So I now have my number on a 2 year retention. Thing is, it is a unique plate, and cannot bear it to see it on another car if I sold it. It's all to do with my name.
So I guess it's good news for me, if laws are relaxed on spacing...

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
12-07-2012 01:18am